Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobtabler

Sharing my seedlings, and others...

bobthewizard
9 years ago

Hi everyone....

So, back in July last year, many of you might remember, I started trying to grow Plumeria from seed. My first batch of 7 or 8 didn't work out, but in August, I was fortunate to get an abundance of seeds to also try. More than I had expected to say the least. I started sprouting some in paper towels, and then the next week, started floating some on Styrofoam "boats" and in the end of October, had about 100 seeds sprouting, and brought them in for the winter. I built a rack to put the trays on, with a light above it, with the hope to keep them growing through the winter, which can get down to freezing sometimes here in Southern California. But no freeze this year... I could have left them outside, but that's another story. (See the post on October 27 for pics of the seedlings and the PVC Rack I made for them.

Anyway, this past weekend, I moved all the seedlings from their 2 and 4 inch pots into 1 gallon pots. I have 47 seedlings that have survived and are thriving.

I'm excited about how well they are doing. I'm working out the kinks of the watering and the fertilizer and I'm hopeful that perhaps one or two might (maybe) put up an inflow next year, but if not, that's okay.

So I thought I'd share the babies, and the other few that I have growing at my place.

Here's the one that got me started 2 years ago, which was a gift for Father's day.

And the first blooms from that one...
{{!gwi}}

A couple that I picked up from JJ's (Vista, Ca) last year, Thai Surprise and Devine, both with the tags still on them. Heheh.

{{!gwi}}

Grainy Pink from the SDPS show last year.. ( a couple of Pineapple plants we have growing too...)

{{!gwi}}

...and, a JL Pink Pansy from the SCPS show, and a Red cutting from the San Diego County Fair last year (my first truly successful cutting). Red is on the left, and the leaves are looking good so far.

{{!gwi}}

Oh, and this guy is keeping watch. I hope he brings his friends to help keep the bugs off!

{{!gwi}}

It's been fun so far, and I'm learning a lot. We'll have to see how the rest of the spring and summer goes. I'm betting it will be hot, so we'll hope for the best.

This post was edited by BobTheWizard on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 0:14

Comments (3)