Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanr21

Picture of our Orange Punch Seedling

joanr
11 years ago

My son bought this seedling from a local person last year and gave it to me for Mother's Day. It did not bloom last year - it was, I believe, two years old at the time. But, it just started blooming and we are thrilled. The blooms are around 3 inches. It has a deep maroon strip running down the side and is a deep rose color. It also has a slight rose scent. This picture does not do justice to the richness of the color and no way does it look like the parent - Orange Punch. Needless to say, I am thrilled with this plumeria. Joan

Comments (18)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Id say its a keeper.

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

That's a son to be proud of! And a beautiful flower, too! :)

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

The coloring on the blooms is beautiful Joan. I have a couple of Orange Punch seeds that I started.

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Lovely!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, stunningly beautiful flower and wonderful son! You and your family have the touch with seedlings! Hm, maybe you should take some of my seedlings and "foster" them for a while, lol.

Jen

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Amazing!! The color is so intense.

• plumcr8zy
    11 years ago

Wow! The colors are so deep and rich looking. Beautiful!!
    -Rick

• pcput
    11 years ago

What a great Mother's day gift !!! You would have loved it no matter what color it was but how great it's beautiful. What a thoughtful son. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW!!! Thanks so much for sharing that, it's absolutely gorgeous!!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Joan,

I agree.. What a beautiful bloom!!

What a wonderful Mother's Day gift!!! You are one lucky lady to have a son who knows how you enjoy your Plumies!! The waiting finally paid off for you and i will say that it was worth it. I LOVE the beauty of this flower.. Like you said, I bet it is even more stunning in person.

What a wonderful gift that keeps on giving..

Sons and daughters are wonderful!!! Especially when they give seeds and Plumies for Mother's Day!! : )

Enjoy your day and take another peek at this beauty for me!!

Take care,

Laura

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind words. We are just thrilled with this seedling. I can see the fascination with seedlings now. When you get something like this, it makes it so worthwhile. When I walk outside, these blooms just immediately catch your eye.

We had a Mardi Gras seedling bloom last year and it bloomed white.

Mardi Gras Seedling

And our Pink Pansy seedling that bloomed white but the smell was divine.

Pink Pansy Seedling

And here is another picture of our OP Seedling in comparison to some others blooming for us:

Left to right:

Kona Cranberry, Lemon Drop, Salmon Brown, Dalat Girl, Rainbow Hybrid (got from 1-stop this year) and at the top is our Orange Punch Seedling. Look at the size compared to the others

And Jen - too funny. If I took your seedlings I would probably forget to return them if they bloomed like this :)

Joan

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I forgot - yes kids can grow up to be pretty amazing. Once you get past those years where sometimes you feel like Bill Crosby "I brought you into this world and I can take you out again", they are wonderful to be around. I am very proud of my two kids (a girl and a boy). They have both turned out to be great people and when they give you plumerias as gifts - hey, you know you did something right during those formative years :)

Kids - gotta love them!!!

Joan

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great looking seedlings!!!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, the shape! The color! The stripe! The orange starburst center! The size! Your seedling's got it all, except...how's the scent? You know we all want to know, lol.

Hey, I'd be willing to give up a special seedling to you, as long as I got the first multi-tip cutting off it!

Joan, you are a lucky lady with your family and your flowers!

Jen

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen,

It has a rose like smell to it. Not real strong but you can definitely smell it.

And we may have to make a deal on exchanging cuttings. I do love that orange one you have :) But you will have to stand in line behind my sister as she has already claimed the first cutting. Luckily it made three branches!!!

Maybe by next year I can get a cutting off of it - after it blooms, of course :) And I sure hope it is easy to root.

Joan

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, done! Let's shoot for 2014, lol. I'm hoping Blaze--if that's the orange you mean--gets some size to her in the next couple of years because I'd like to share cuttings and see if she behaves differently in other locations.

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen,

I sure wish you were coming to the July PSA sale in Rosenberg so I could show you a bloom. Doesn't this entice you?

Joan

• nativec
    11 years ago

Joan

That is one stunning bloom! Wow! Congrats!

Nicole