Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

hot hot and more hot

Next 7 days are going to be 100+ with no rain or much wind. My trees get sun from rise to set. Its so hot out and so early in the year that Im a bit nervous. I know they love heat and sun but at what point should I be worried about too much of either. I can move them to a fence that would shade them past about 2 ish or I can also make a shade cover

Thanks

Mike

Comments (67)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still hot. Hearts desire opened up today. Scent is nice but light. Delightful has an inflo and should open here in a few weeks. Ill be ready for some lighter colored flowers soon.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Surf, I agree the heat seems to have no impact on them. In Hawaii they grow on the hot dry side of the island, no irrigation. The new seedlings and cuttings don't like afternoon sun but handle the heat with no problem.
    I've never been to Central America when it wasn't hotter than hades and Hawaii was only cool up in the mountains. These are tropical trees after all, native to intense sun and heat for most of the year. It's even hotter than Texas which is hard to believe.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well its only getting hotter here. Trying to keep things alive is getting hard. We haven't had rain in weeks. This morning at 7am it was 90.
    Whats the temps like in your areas?

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Sheesh, Mike, I don't know how you can stand it!

We are forecasted to only be around 87 to 90 for the week but it is always a bit warmer here where I live. 95ish, hot and humid is what I'm expecting.

Most of the summer our meteorologist forecast the 3 H's. Hazy, hot and humid. Your temps are just downright Horrid. :)

We have had our share of rain and there always seems to be a good breeze blowing. This is rather strange... usually this time of year we are lucky to get a breeze unless you're at the ocean.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie. Its is no fun for sure. Fortunately the humidity has be very low by OK standards. Only thing you can do is get things done early. They say tommorow the city may start water restrictions.

Mike

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Mike-
    That's insane. Taking a personal moment to be thankful for San Diego weather. I have a good friend from OK who just returned from a trip home... she had planned all these park dates with friends, all of which had to be moved inside, I can't even imagine that. Hang in there, Mike... that's seriously unfriendly weather.

Wishing you and your plumie's the best!

Wendy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,

That is HOT!!!

I wouldn't want to see temps like that either..

Please be careful and stay out of that heat...

I have been working in this heat and the heat indices were in the triple digits.. I have never seen temps like this before on the East Coast. Im talking smoking HOT!!!

Thinking of you all in OK..

Take care,

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Next three days are supposed to be 111. I've already moved my plumies under the dappled light of the arbor which helps but if we do have water restrictions I may have to move them to the basement under the Fluorescent lights where they won't require water every day.
    Ugh.
    Hope it's not true that Tulsa and the surrounding regions are turning into a desert. :)

-Robert

• wilsonm24
    11 years ago

Hey all, new to posting but not to reading the forums...

As far as temps go, Plumeria should be able to handle the heat without to much difficulty. I lived for 11 years in the middle east and Singapore's were very common there with temps that would regularly get into the 120's and sometimes as high as 140. There were all in ground Plumeria's that were 20-30' tall.

My wife and I would buy a new one every time we moved into a new house (about once every two or three years) and plant one of these so even the smaller ones seemed to survive the heat without much difficulty.

We did water liberally every day (sand does drain pretty well..). Granted Singapore's are the exotic hybrids that seems to be common on the forum (but they are my personal favorites), and that may have some affect, but I think that your 110 degree weather should be fine for established trees.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Here around Austin the forecasts are varying a few degrees but looking at between 98-104 this week. If you're out of the AC for about 2 minutes you'll be sorry!

My plumies are really hanging in there with the heat. I'm keeping a close eye on them and will move them if I have to. I've put my cuttings that are trying to root in a spot where they get morning sun but the rest is indirect. I've seen a couple respond much better to this now that it's so hot.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wendy, Laura. Thanks for the thoughts, You girls stay cool also.

Robert

I hope they dont restrict water also. Bixby used to make its own water from lake Bixohma but a few years ago they started buying from Tulsa so Ill be affected also. What drives me crazy is to see all the Quiktrips with lush green grass and everyone else is all dry. I think they should restrict businesses and Neighborhood entries first. My water use is so small compared to places like that. I try to at least keep my foundations wet so I dont have problem with walls and doors. Once a week Ill still water the lawn but I do it at night when overall use is lower.

Wilson
    thats good to know that you have seen them take that kind of heat. My established trees are doing fine with plenty of water. My smaller ones are as well they just get some shade during the middle of the day. My Bananas absolutely hate this heat. Each new leaf burns up almost immediately. I had to move a few in pots to the shade just to save them. The more established inground are doing ok just burning up.

elucas

I was wondering what been happening in the big TX. sounds like you are getting warmed up pretty good.

• wilsonm24
    11 years ago

mksmth

I would definitely take care with any that you are currently trying to root or that have just rooted, but established trees will probably be fine as long as they have plenty of water.

Should also mention that in that high heat the humidity was often 80-90%, summers there were just horrible. As soon as you step outside you start sweating.

Original Author
    11 years ago

AZ that is interesting how you only water that often. Are yours in ground or in containers. Mine are all in containers that dry out pretty fast. Im sure I could stretch my watering to every 3 or 4 days but Im nervous to try.

mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, what I have discovered is when my cuttings start to get leaves( even if no roots yet) I put them in my special "K" mix in dappled sun. This has been really working well for me. I sacraficed my first cuttings, by putting them in full sun. I guess I had to learn the hard way. I have 5 of these in my plumeria nursery that are really putting on alot of new growth. I will move them to full sun in Sept, since August is our hottest month. Barbra

• AZPlumieDude
    11 years ago

Mike-Mine are all in containers on a shelving type stand I made. None of them see direct sun but get plenty of good indirect sun. I have a thermometer right above them on the wall and even in the shade it's 100+ everyday.

Remember, it's harder to kill a plumeria from lack of water rather than too much water.

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

AZ, love your one liner. I was getting 100 degree days for a week while I was gone and couldn't water. I expected the worst, but was surprised when I came home to find more growth than when I'd been home watering. Maybe they sense the heat and start putting out more leaves to suck up moisture from the air.

Big Wave Dave

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mike, I think you can stretch out your watering to every three days, even in that heat. I've always gone three to four days with most of mine. Seedlings are the exception, but only if they look droopy in the morning; you can't go by evening droop.

That is even hotter there than here, more like our temps last summer. Even then I don't think we had lows as high as mid-80's! Stay cool, Okies!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jandy

Im going to try that and see how it works. The new this morning said that this July wasnt as hot as last year. Temperature wise Im sure it was but its doesnt feel like it.
    The humidity has been very low by our standards which helps. Im sure its because we have been in a drought and everything is drying up. The city is still saying we are in a voluntary water restriction. I need to set my AC condensate drain bucket back up. Last summer I collected 15 gallons per day of condensate water. That really help the water bill out.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Even though we are no longer on water restrictions I am still in drought mode, keeping watering cans to empty the bathtub, a bucket in the sink for the water used to clean bird and dog bowls...

I water the plumeria on the backdeck every 3-5 days depending on my work schedule. The ones planted in the yard get watered when I water everything else, 1-2 times per week depending.
    All the plants are loving this heat, humidity and all the rain we had earlier. The bananas especially love heat and are flowering and producing fruit.
    Tally HO!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I don't care what the weather forecast says, it's got to be 150 degrees out there!!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

OH NOOOOOO!! this is scentsational when I got home just now. I watered it yesterday morning. 5 gallon sunk in the ground. Needless to say I wont be pushing 3-4 days with this heat.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Whoa Mike! That looks dreadful! I've never had one look that bad except after the hurricane when they were locked in the house for 2 weeks with no care. My brugs look like that every afternoon but they are just pouting and perk up when the sun goes down.
    Good luck.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Its starting to perk up but im afraid it will lose a bunch of leaves. I pulled it up and moved it to shade for a few days. It was 113 today and the next few look to be no different. The wind was blowing good and the humidity was low so im sure that didn't help.

Mike

11 years ago

No! Very sorry, Mike! :(
    I hope it recovers fully like my California Sunset however we now know that our babies need water daily.
    I might try you A/C condensate trick.

-Robert

• AllanRandall
    11 years ago

Mike, I feel your pain and hope it perks up for you. I've been leaving mine in the sun until about 2pm and then pull it into the shade. Then, around 6:30-7 I'll move it back out. So far the leaves look ok, though I am getting a few wrinkles on the trunk. While it seems to be doing alright, everything else... not so much. My brug is burning along with half of the garden, no matter how wet you keep them. You really start to wonder why you even try, it's demoralizing.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

It will loose some leaves but will be OK. Have you considered a top layer of mulch for right now? you can always remove it later.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert, Allan

Hope you are staying cool.

It looks much better this morning. Some leaves are pretty burnt but otherwise ok.

K, I think I will get some mulch. They are saying we could hit all time high for tulsa 115. Last time it was officially that hot was back in the dust bowl.

mike

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

Wow! Mike sorry to see such a sad plumie. Hope it recovers. Seems to me it's been triple digits for a long time out there. Hope it ends for you soon.
    Kathy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Boy, was I wrong! Sorry about that, Mike. Scentsational clearly needs more water than every three days in your heat. It may just be one of those water hogs. How are the rest of yours holding up?

We're back up into the solid triple digits here and I have a few in full afternoon sun, in black pots above ground, so I put some white bags of mulch against the pots for some afternoon protection.

Those black pots are great in spring when you want the roots warmed up but in summer they must feel like the seventh circle of Hades to those poor roots.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Those black pots are killers, I move everything out of them as soon as possible, using them only for plants headed to swaps. Especially if you put them in the sun, you can feel the heat coming off.

Mulch, mulch and more mulch! I haul it in by the truckloads and mulch everything, even cactus.
    Only mid to upper 90's this week, our humidity remains above 80% as usual.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh jandy its not your fault. Delightful was 6 feet away watered the same and it was just fine. Scentsational has some huge leaves so im sure transpiration is much higher. On a side note I spent 13 hours in the sun in a ditch today for work. I feel like scentsational did

Mike

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mike... Scentsational is very hardy. I bet she will rebound very quickly for you. Just baby her for a few days.

I am too trying to find a happy medium for my plants. If I move them in the shade too much then I don't get the nice colors. Leave them in the sun too long and my leaves are burnt. And ours temps are only in the mid 70s to low 80s. And I thought the more sun the better. But it doesn't appear to be that way with mine.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I live just south of Ft. Worth and todays temps were 109 on my back porch, and in the shade! My plumies get sun from morning till about 2-3pm, then shade. Cuttings are in shade on the back porch and receive filtered sun light and rooting very quickly. I do spray the cuttings with water several times per day.
    Lonnie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mike - I don't know how far apart you have your plumies located but I used that plastic fencing stuck up on tall stakes to give mine just a little bit of shade on those days when I'm not going to be home during the hottest part of the day.

My weather isn't near as hot as yours but we have had quite a few days of over 100.

My DH ripped some 2X4's to make the stakes.

I'm so sorry that your Scentsational suffered so badly. Take care of yourself working out there in that heat!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Mike get out of the ditch! Hope you don't have to spend more time out there.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well mother nature blessed us this morning. I walked out to leave and we got a decent rain shower. It still hit 110 and I spent a few hours outside but all is good. Ill post some pics of scentsationals recovery soon

Mike

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi everyone in Oklahoma,
    Are you guys okay with all those wildfires burning today? I have friends who live close to Prague and so have been following the news closely. One of the fires seems to be heading straight for Tulsa.
    Please, let us know you are alright.
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

TOU in OK...

Please let us know that you all are alright...

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Man what a crazy state I live in. The fires were close to Tulsa but the city and where I live is on the opposite side of the Arkansas river from them. The sky was orange with smoke and ash was falling down when I was walking into church. I do have a cousin and friend who are fireman out on them working their butts off. We did get some rain last night and the temps were in the 90's so that was nice.

Here is scentsational. Its looks a little beat up but overall not too bad

Stay cool
    Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Looks a whole lot better than it did Mike. Glad the fire wasn't too close. Hope your cousin and friend and you stay safe. Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Mike, pack some mulch or dirt in around that pot so you don't have that air space. Then heap some mulch over it all. That will help insulate the pot a bit.

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

Nice! Looks like she'll make it. Stay cool Mike!
    Kathy

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

I went to school in Norman in the early 1950s and I remember lots of violent thunderstorms and high winds. I would think plumeria trees and leaves would be shredded in those conditions. From what I see on TV, the entire state is subject to that type of weather.

Original Author
    11 years ago

JP

wind here is an almost everyday battle. It can be blowing 10-20 from the south in the morning and then switch to the north. My plumeria handle it pretty good but the bananas look awful come mid summer.

Looks like we will finally get some relief. We are still 15 inches from coming out of the drought. There is a good chance we could see a high 50 close by tommorrow morning. What is really sad is all the deciduous trees have started dropping leaves because of no rain so it really looks like fall but feels like summer.

mike

11 years ago

Hey Mike,

The cooler temperatures are definitely welcomed especially after receiving a 100 dollar water bill!
    Kinda puts a damper on my wanting just one more plumeria (maybe next year I'll get Gold Coast Peachy). :)

-Robert

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Mike, I know what you mean about the bananas We get those hurricanes and tropical storms coming thru here and my banana tree leaves would look like ribbons attached to the center vein. I finally gave up on those.
    It's only 82 here this AM, but humidity is 88%.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Mike, just to let you know how I am handing the hot weather. I can only deep water my plumeria once a week. In my soil, I add 1/2 miracle grow soil to the gritty mix, on the recommendation of two plumeria society members. I plunge my pots into the soil, all the way up to the rim. I use 5 gallon black pots. I planted small shrub type plants on both sides of the pots, to give shade to the plumeria roots. I read on this forum, that Plumeria love their heads in full sun, but their feet like the shade. I have a sprinkler system that waters 30 minutes every other day, to help suppliment watering, just like a sprinkle. We had one shower in the last 2 months. The majority of my plants were just purchased this year, they seem to all be doing well, and are putting out inflos. Next year I plan to plant them all into the ground, and only use the pots for the newly purchased plants. Barbra

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well we are starting to get into our late summer weather pattern where it can be cool one day and scorching the next. We had a cold front push through last night and brought a good rain to my area.

today we are having what I call a "california day" 60's in the morning and mid 80's during the day. Ive never been to CA but I imagine thats what its like, LOL The next 7 days are forecasted to be like this. Its such a welcome relief but also a reminder that I need to get the greenhouse ready and start making plans for overwintering. Our first frost isnt until October so I have time.

Our weather here can be so crazy that it made me think of a few things. Those who live or lived here may relate and those who may visit might take this advice.
    You really have to be like a boy scout to live here.
    In the middle of winter we will have days in the 80's and then the next day it can snow 6-8 inches. The opposite is also true, snow in the morning and mid 50's to 60's by afternoon. In the summer it will get to 110 and the next morning it can be in the 60's. I have left for work in the morning and it was colder by 20-30 degrees when i left in the afternoon.

anyways it keeps you on you toes.

Mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Dear Oklahoma,

Please send rain.

Thanks,
    Texas.