Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Best way to root a Singapore?

Dar Sunset Zone 18
14 years ago

Hello all!

I just bought a Singapore cutting online and should be receiving it in a few weeks. I have tried several of them before and failed miserably. Can ask you all on what do you think is the best way to root Singapore cutting? What is your personal experience?

Comments (21)

• Kimo
    14 years ago

I water rooted all my evergreen Obtusa's.
    I water rooted Mela Pa Bowman, Dwarf Singapore Pink, Singapore Wite and my Richard Criley Dwarf.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

F4p, can you tell me where did you leave the cuttings while rooting them? I mean if they were in the sun or in partial shade?

• Kimo
    14 years ago

Actually when I water root the cuttings are usually in the garage, there is sunlight that comes in via the transom windows that are in the garage door. Other than that it is kind of dark in there. I never really water root for longer than 3 weeks, than I pot up in soil. Also after my cuttings are potted up in soil from the water I usually water the soil well as the cutting was use to having a lot of moisture..and no I have never ever lost a cutting to rot when I water rot them.
    I have had some cuttings I have purchased that arrived shriveled up and wrinkly, but even they ended up plumping up and rooting.
    Good luck

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much for the details. I really appreciate it.

• sunnygreece
    14 years ago

I also was wondering about this too,as i have a dwarf singapore pink and singapore obtusa that are so difficult ,i guess its too late to water root mine know as i potted them 6 weeks ago and just starting claws only,but mine is still wrinkly and shrivelled?Iam wondering FREAK4-PLUMERIAS,if i should be watering my SINGAPORE obtusas MORE than the regular plumerias ,of once inittially until leaves form?They seem to like if i keep them in my mini greenhouse at night ,as its very hot and humid,even though its quite warm at night here now and humid?

• Kimo
    14 years ago

Hey SG,
    I would not disturb your cuttings since you already placed them in soil to root. I would keep a lot of bottom heat on them as to help promote rooting. Unlike many people I do water my cuttings. I do not water them as often or as much as my rooted plants but I do water them while they are rooting. When water rooting since the cuttings is in water and use to it I like to keep it moist once I pot them up.

Again keep the cuttings warm and give them bottom heat. I would try to give your rooting cuttings a drink to help them along, plus DSP plants love water. Certain plumies like to be on the drier side and other are water lovers like ACW, SCP, DSP, Samirie, etc.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received a boxed today. Cuttings destroyed by the Ag Deparment because it was infected with Phomopsis. The only reason I even bothered buying it was because it included an Orange Sunny plumeria cutting and I don't know where else I could buy that. Does anyone know if Orange Sunny is going under a different name elsewhere?

I'll be ordering Hong Kong from WorldPlumeria instead then. I do value your help though, F4P.

• Kimo
    14 years ago

Hey Musaborn,

LOL Did you order from Eliteplants in Thailand..
    I have a package from them with 10 cuttings in it and one was the "Orange Sunny" along with many others and according to the EMS tracking number its in Customs now..lol I am expecting a EMPTY box with a note also. Even though I sent Elite my import permit and it is attached to my shipment if the Ag Dept finds anything wrong they will destroy your plants and cuttings..grrr. A friend of mine has all her shipments destroyed, I think she has had 10 shipments total destroyed, some are replacement plants.

Oh also here are some pics of my latest plumie a "Red Dusk" cutting that I had water rooted I potted her up yesterday as she had root nubs starting:
    SORRY I TAKE HORRIBLE PICS>>>LOL

I like to pot up my cuttings before actual roots are poking out as a lot of time they are inferior, thin and fragile. When I pot up at earlier, usually at the sign of root nubs the roots come out normal, I guess the water does not have enough nutrients even with ST to build a good root system.

Here is what Red Dusk looks like, someone stole my 5 foot original plant last year so I traded my friend a JL Golden Pagoda cutting for the replacement Red Dusk:

Here is a pic of Red Dusk in extreme heat over 100 she is egg plant purple color

• funinthesunincl
    14 years ago

James...

Loving that color on your Red Dusk!!! Awesome!!! Can you imagine what she would be like in the Texas heat we are having????? :-)

Hey Musa....

I have several Singapores ( and a real nice DSP...) ((waving at you James...)) that I am rooting and doing fine!! They are each in their own cut-off water bottle w/holes on the bottom, filled w/perlite and cactus mix. What I do is place five of the water bottles in a $1 plastic crate w/holes on all sides...from Wal Mart about 6" x 6" big. Then they don't tip over... I did what James is telling you, give them plenty of bottom heat (heat mat) and they are being kept in warm temps. I mist them twice a day, and it seems like all are thriving!!!

Good Luck Musa!!!

Stay out of trouble James...

~Mary Jane

• nativec
    14 years ago

Freak-that Red Dusk is absolutely unbelievable! Wow! I love it. Next year I'm going to try your water rooting method. I'm really curious. I have so many cuttings that are moving slowly. Some I planted back in April! Perhaps the water rooting would have given them boost. In my area we go from June gloom to 90+ degrees. Thank you for sharing your pic's!

-Nicole

• stanjarhead
    11 years ago

When water rooting, do you let the cuttings dry out first, or do immediately place them in water?

• rox146
    11 years ago

I was lucky enough to receive 3 Mele Pa Bowman (yellow singapore) from a friend a year ago...they were nice size and a bit beefy. All had inflow, it was April, and I did not cut off the inflow..I dipped in water with SuperThrive in it and then into the root tone and then into the cactus/perlite mix where a whole chicken egg sat in the soil 1inch under the cutting. Put them on our warm deck/pavers and they took off...the info and all...bloomed all summer and did not loose leaves or anything. The original inflos are still there on all 3 and look to be growing blooms again on the same inflow..(indeterminate?)...roxanne

• stanjarhead
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in understanding you planted the cutting as soon as you removed it from the main plant? I hadn't heard about the chicken egg before.

• rox146
    11 years ago

no, I let the cutting dry out for at least 1 week...google "raw egg rooting method" I have done it now for 2 years on every cutting I have gotten...swear by it...even the hard to root...and I am getting a Kapalua which I understand is HARD!!! I will do it on that one as well...just seems to work eel for me...I have done the baggy method as well too....roxanne

• rox146
    11 years ago

no, I let the cutting dry out for at least 1 week...google "raw egg rooting method" I have done it now for 2 years on every cutting I have gotten...swear by it...even the hard to root...and I am getting a Kapalua which I understand is HARD!!! I will do it on that one as well...just seems to work eel for me...I have done the baggy method as well too....roxanne

• stanjarhead
    11 years ago

Thanks for the clarifying that. I will try the raw egg method.

• rox146
    11 years ago

good luck and may the force be with you..some thought the egg attracted raccoons...we have them where we live..even eating our dogs food, and they have never tried to dump/dig a pot to get at the egg...when you transplant the next year...the egg is still there and yet it is empty...fascinating...roxanne

• pcput
    11 years ago

Roxanne - be careful with the eggs as I do know of people who loss plants as the raccoons had a field day up rooting them to get to the eggs. They had been adding eggs for years with no problem but one night they found them and you should have seen the mess. Might have to have a guard dog on duty at night. Peg

• rox146
    11 years ago

I have heard of the problem before...we seem to catch them in our live capture trap first baited with dogfood and tuna cans...:-) The potted plumies sit right next to it....roxanne

• stanjarhead
    11 years ago

One last question, do you water the cutting immediately after planting, or do you wait until the new leaves start coming?

Sponsored