Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriai45

Cuttings

plumeriai45
9 years ago

I am debating whether to purchase cuttings and or rooted plumerias at this time of the year. I live in the Houston, Texas area and would like a few more plume rias this year. I have a set budget from recycling some metal and cans...it's a neat way of getting cash without the wife knowing. I enjoy rooting my know...I kinda feel like we grow together...but I am not sure if I will have enough time to get them and have them good and rooted by the end of our season in October or november.

What would be a good time frame to have a rooted cutting...say incas or aztecs.

Comments (7)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Well you are in luck. Head on over to the Plumeria Society of America sale tomorrow in Seabrook and get what ever you want.

Plumeria Show and Sale
    Saturday June 14, 2014
    5002 Nasa Rd1, Seabrook (Clear Lake), Texas
    at the Bay Area Community Center
    9:30-3

be careful if you go. Some of the plumeria addicts can get ruthless, LOL

Also You have plenty of time to root a cutting but for just a few dollars more you can get a rooted one.

mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Go early and wear armor!! Lol!!!

I agree with mike, pay a few dollars more and buy rooted ones!! If you can't, then you will be able to root.. No problem!!!

Have fun... This is a great sale!! Lucky you!!! ;-)

Laura

• rox146
    9 years ago

Laura, are you going? roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

I wish I was going to this sale, but I'm heading out your way in July!! Looking forward to the JJs open house and seeing and meeting you all out there!!

This sounds like a great sale and I have seen pics of Jens and how crazy it can be. She did pick a few beauties up for me years ago from this sale...

Hope you all have a great day!!

Laura

• alisarom
    9 years ago

Guys, I am in the same boat, somewhat... I have a very limited budget, and about 1.5 hours away from Seabrook... Since I have never been to a sale before, while I assume there will be cuttings for sale as well, I just have no idea what starting prices on cuttings are. Are we talking $5 to $10 dollars? Are we talking $20 a cutting? I know the different cultivars command different prices, just don't know what to expect... I am assuming plants are more expensive, but again, not having an idea what the starting prices are. If I have a budget of $50, is it worth going or am I only going to be able to buy one plant and spend 3 hours on the road? I know that part of the experience is meeting other "addicts" and talk shop and what not, but I am also concerned about my small budget... What has been your experience? Any of you bought cuttings there before? How much were they?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hello Alisarom. I cant speak for the sellers at the PSA sales but in general you can expect to pay $10-30 for a cutting and depending on the grower an additional $10-20 for the same rooted. Of course the more desirable and rare types can be 2,3 even 4 times that cost. I would think that you could walk away with at least 2 plants on $50 at the sale. Of course if you save the expense of the trip and ordered online plus paid shipping you would probably still get 2 plants and not see what it looks like before you buy.

Mike

• alisarom
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mike.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County