Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Plumerias - the wrong way

Posted by Merkity zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 23:54

I just had to share after reading through all the great advice on how to grow and root plumeria cuttings.
( i didn't follow any of it - since i didn't find this forum until after i had already rooted the two cuttings i have)

what not to do - AKA - what i did:
Leave first cutting sitting on counter in its bag under a grow light until I realized it was growing.

OH NO - quickly toss some potting soil in a pot and stick it in. ( might have used some rooting hormone)

keep soil wet - not soggy but definitely wet while watching it for new growth or rot....( aka i watered it)

it grew and grew - was quite the happy camper with morning sun.

didn't know about dormant period, so no winters rest for the first couple years.

repotted it in full leaf - the two branches keeled over - uh oh - quickly cut off all the leaves. Branches finally recovered and leaves are growing back.

kicked it outside last summer...

This year the plumeria had a winter rest and is currently got a double info on it YAY!

second cutting - I knew a bit more now, planted it before it started growing, but rooted it the same way. it spent winter inside growing its leaves and its now enjoying and outdoor summer...doing well so far.

so no special treatment, basically did everything backwards and they are both still going.

Here is a pic of #1 - its about three years old now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Plumerias - the wrong way

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see the bloom! This is the huge draw to plumeria - they can be hardy to an extent and handle, or even thrive on, a certain amount of "neglect". People want them to be finicky, but they truly aren't, they just need a few key things, not much! Love your sense of humor! Please keep us posted!

o
RE: Rooting Plumerias - the wrong way

Lol.. It happens, like Emily mentioned Great sense of humor!!

I'm glad it's doing well.. It wants to survive!! Congratulations!!

Welcome!!!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here