Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this stem rot? x-section photo

Posted by nitsuj none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 23:55

So have had this plumeria for 5+ years since it was a tiny little stick over a few moves, it finally bloomed last summer (currently reside in Portland, OR). As per usual each winter lost it's leaves this winter. Coming into spring had (what I thought was?) black tip (first photo) so I cut it back. It would start to grow back/heal but stayed soft. Now after pieces keep feeling soft I've tried to cut it back before the whole plant dies :( Figured I should doublecheck to make sure it IS stem rot though and not something else. Apologize the photo is blurry, phone wouldn't focus up close.

It still looks brown where I just cut it and it didn't ooze the milky white fluid, so not sure what's up. Keep cutting? Something else?

Blsck tip?
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/JMH123456789/photo1-7.jpg

Stem rot?
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/JMH123456789/photo2-8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this stem rot? x-section photo

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 22:33

Your photo isn't coming through, at least on my iPad. Try using Photobucket or another image downloading program (free).

o

maybe this will help get some responses.

Black tip? Looks like it to me.

Stem rot? Was this from the black tip one cut back?

o

thanks for the embed Dave! 2nd pic is from (repeated) cutbacks. Every time I've cut back it seems like the stem just ends up getting soft below the cutback - tho the plant does try to heal it closed quickly so I guess it's at least showing signs of life. Have had it for years and it finally bloomed last year, would be bummed if I can't save it. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or should try is very much welcomed

o

I think I'll try the suggestions from this thread

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0701085919744.html?4

Thanks everyone for the advice

o

• Posted by oorah z10calif (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 10:42

http://www.plumeria101.com/problems/black_tip.html

check out site

oorah

o

Thanks, had seen that before and is why I originally cut the top off to get below the rot. Went out today to try doing the suggestions in the thread I posted above but it was too far gone - in some parts it was hollow in the middle, in others it was like mud and there were some worms(?) in it. Sad, grew it from a little stick for 8 years, finally flowered last year.

o

try to keep cutting back until you see clear white bark...no even a small piece of brown...It is rotting..

There is good news! If you can find the white bark no matter how far back you have to cut it....you will get more branches, which in time will give you more blooms..

give it 1/2 tsp. plant epsom salt per gallon distilled water (of course dont give it the whole gallon) but enough to lightly water the soil.

hope this helps...:)

plumeriahut.com

o

Thanks for the advice, sadly it was too late for my plumeria :( Looking for another one now though and will definitely keep that advice handy in case I run into the same issue!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here