Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewcarb

curling leaves?

drewcarb
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm a newbie here - but very much in love with my Plumeria. I just want to make sure the leaves aren't anything to be worried about. A few have this curling thing going. How can I attach a few pics?

Thanks for any info!

Andy

Comments (18)

• brighty
    16 years ago

Hi Andy,

Welcome! I'm having the same problem. I actually went outside this morning with my reading glasses on :) and a magnifying glass in hand to see if I could find any mites or other bugs. (That's when the good luck ladybug landed on me.) I didn't see anything strange, just the disturbing curling leaves. Some of them look fine on one side of the leaf but are warped and curled on the other side. Also, not all the leaves are curled/warped. What do your's look like exactly? I'd show pics if I knew how. I'm sure there is someone here who can help us.

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay... I think I figured it out by myself! Hope this works. Brighty ... here's where I found my info on posting pics
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/hypertufa/2004095025029886.html

I'm using photobucket.com for my photos.

{{gwi:1179851}}

{{gwi:1179852}}

{{gwi:1179853}}

• brighty
    16 years ago

Thank you for the info on the pics Andy! That's a beautiful plant you have there. Your leaves look exactly like mind did about 2 weeks ago, but now mine are even more curled. As I mentioned, I already checked for mites/bugs and there are none. The only thing I can think of is that I have been fertilizing my plumerias more this year, I'm wondering if I may be over fertilizing them. Have you checked your leaves for bugs? Have you been fertilizing more that usual?

Someone help us newbies! :)

• wanda662
    16 years ago

It looks like leaf stress to me. It is caused by under watering or over watering or being root bound. It won't hurt your plant, just doesn't look good.
    That's a really nice bloom Drewcarb!

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Welcome
    Andy, your plant is inside correct? Someone will come in and help with your questions. Is different growing them inside and outside. I grow mine outside. Nice bloom.

Drewcarb.. we need to see pictures of yours, how warm are you, size of pot..etc..Our experts will come and help.
    Karen B.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm having a similar problem with one of my plumies and can't figure out the reason.There's no bugs, normal feeding and watering, same as all the others. the only thing I can think of is stress that might be caused by a damaged main stem and I don't know if that's the reason either. I posted about it the otherday. I only included pics of the stem damage, not the foliage but it looks similar to the foliage on your plant.
    Karyn

• kasiec
    16 years ago

Hi Andy - the bloom is beautiful and to me it looks to be healthy. I hope someone can help you out with your concerns.

Kasie

• lc4273
    16 years ago

well mine are doing the same also and i read that it is because the are stressed. either because the have root damage, from transplating or not watering enough. etc so ive been watering mine every other day because we've been in a drought and it hasnt got watered much

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the info.

Karen B. - my plant is actually outside on my front porch. It stays shaded pretty much all day until around 5pm when it gets direct sunlight until about 8pm. I've been watering about every 3-4 days - maybe I should increase that.

I started something my brother was doing that was successful for him. Once a month I put my coffee grinds in the pot, then water. My brother's plant survived the freeze this Winter and even bloomed a couple of weeks after. Maybe just a freak plant?

Andy

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Andy,
    Your plant needs the morning light, not late. Too much shade will keep it too cool, can develop bug problems. Put it in a East/south light, more light. Hard to tell on the stress of the leaves. Heat on the stone, Not enough light, hope no bugs. Try another light source.
    Karen B.

• wanda662
    16 years ago

Andy,
    Where do you live? Cal., Fla, Mexico, Az. North of all those.
    It is very hard to say unless your in the same zone as me or Karyn or who ever.
    Your plant looks good to me and I don't think you have any worries!

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi
    Discussing leaf problems. My Daisy Wilcox has huge round welts on the leaves.,.no bugs, just 3 huge upward welts. Now what will cause that?
    Karen

• sherrieg
    16 years ago

I am also having a problem with curling leaves:

{{gwi:1179854}}

{{gwi:1179855}}

I would like any info you can give me as to the reason and what I can do to aleviate it.

Thanks,

SherrieG

• brighty
    16 years ago

Yickes Sherri, those are very curly. Mine were curling, but now seem to be getting better. I thought maybe I had fertilized them too much, so I gave them a good drenching and haven't fertilized them for a few weeks now, and the leaves are getting better. I don't really know if that was the cause and the cure, but I just thought I'd mention it.

• kasiec
    16 years ago

Hi SherrieG - a friend's plants did quite a bit of curling last year. All have reverted to having normal leaves. I recalled she fed it mixture of B1 and the liquid Miracle Grow. She also uses osmocote (sp?)

Kasie

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi,
    All the curling leaves, seems to be some major stress problems. Did any of your plants feeze? That seems to be the problems of many..Major curling wow you got me! If in shade or inside, can be buggy.

put them in east morning light if you are warm enough. Check your watering, buy a water meter, only water when it says dry..Experts on here need to come in with ideas!
    Karen B.

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, sherrieg and kasie, i just saw this thread now: those leaves look like what i had on one of citrus plants. i think that it was because it was too dry: with central heating, the air in the house gets pretty dry during the winter. with spring and warmer weather, i had put it outside- hosed it down etc. it looks alot less curly now. I don't know if one would treat a plumie the same way, or if it would be result of the same cause.

sue

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living