Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

July Wildfire on fire.

Kimo
10 years ago

Went to the patch and noticed there were a few more inflos open on Wildfire. Even though WF only had about 5 days so far this season of 80 plus degree heat she still amazes me... Only issue is how tall, leggy she gets almost 11ft tall.

Happy growing!!!
Cheers

Comments (29)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Amazing! No inflos on my Wildfire yet (I did accidentally knock off the inflo on the one that had one). Yours are really stunning. Just beautiful.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks George!! How tall is your WF? Where did u get her from?
    Cheers

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Got a nice three brancher from a lady in San Diego last year. It got three new tips this year, then somehow got whacked by some people working here. 2/3 of the plant came off. So I got a replacement this year from Cheryl Oshiro - nice 5' with 6 tips and an inflo. Putting it into the car, I accidentally knocked off the sole inflo. And with all the practice I had transporting plumies! I'm pretty fanatical about Wildfire, and have a great spot for it - so if I do get blooms this year - I'll probably get a sharper webcam to capture the inflo action! Here in Simi, it's much redder but still has the little "flames" in the middle - although I do have to keep in a shadier area in full sun they get brown. But in less than full sun - it's a sight to behold!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George,
    In Simi it should look almost Black Red, or at least dark red with almost plum on the edges. I love the contrasting white on the back of the petals.
    OMG I luv Cheryl, thats who I got my Wildfire from, so we have sister plants..lol Does Cheryl still have her HUGE Wildfire tree??
    Someone told me it got damaged in the Frost of 2007. Cheryl may have had Wildfire longer than Bud, but cant be sure. Did you buy anything else from her?
    I can gurantee your Wildfires the real deal since you got if from her.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

WOW James!! That's simply amazing!! Unfortunately mine are too small so I probably won't see any flowers for a few more years considering how leggy you say she is. So for now thank you for the eye candy.

George I hope yours will bloom so we can see how dark she will get with your much warmer temps!

• nativec
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Wildfire is one of my fav's Mine bloomed last year but its unlikely that I'll get flowers this year, no sign yet of an inflo. and the branches are just too short I think.

I'll live vicariously through your pic's

Thank you for sharing!

Nicole

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn and Nicole,
    Its totally worth the wait with plumies, adds more excitement with the anticipation. Could you imagine yourself with a wildfire lei, just that sold red around your neck. The other things is there seems to be a lot of reports from people who are stating they have received bogus/incorrect plants, I do not think I have ever seen so many reports in the past years. I wonder if its because of the economy?
    Its always safest to get your plumie from an ESTABLISHED well known nursery, or grower. Some people think they are getting a deal, but when you cost out the money you lost plus what you spend again to get the correct variety, your just better off spending a bit more to get the real deal. Cheryl Oshiros been selling Wildfire and UHO FOREVER. Use to be that you could really only buy it from her or get it from Bud back in the day.

Thanks again
    Cheers

• nativec
    10 years ago

Oh a lei of Wildfire!! Sounds like nothing short of heaven:) I agree that it seems that so many have unknowingly purchased Wildfire and it turned out to be something else. What a horrible feeling! I purchased mine from Matt and so far I've never had a problem.

Here is mine last year at 110 degrees about 30% humidity. A real keeper!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nicole
    LOVING the purple in it. WF never disappoints and Matt has great stuff, can't beat his selection either.
    You must have hot summers to get your WF to pop like that.

Cheers

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

James. Absolutely beautiful!

I have had my wildfire for two years and I don't thinkI it will bloom this year either. But , it is worth the wait!!! Maybe I can borrow George's camera when the time comes !!! All of your trees are stunning!!

I agree with Nicole!!! Hi Nicole!! ;-). A lei like that would be awesome. I keep thinking of the pic of that lady friend of yours with the orange blooms. What I would give to wear that to the jimmy B concert!! Lol! How cool would that be? " now. that's hot ! ". As Paris would say ! Speaking of the lei only. Lol.

Love your wildfire, Nicole. So sorry to hear about the issues with the other love. So sad. Thanks for the email ...we Need to catch up!! Love the GS you rescued from the garage. It has life in it and it shows !!! It is beautiful!!!!

Gorgeous pictures.

I agree about buying from reputable sellers too. I know it's fun to start out and get great deals. But if your paying high dollars for something ...you want what you pay for. It's that simple...

Sorry for all that are disappointed. I was one too. But we live and learn and go forward. Then buy the real kahuna !!! Lol

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

A cool surprise last evening as I was looking at my 4 tipped 5 foot tall Wildfire. I have been enjoying the inflos on 3 of the tips...what do I find? Another inflo on the fourth and last tip of the tree...last year it had 1.....HAPPY-HAPPY-HAPPY roxanne

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

OMG ~~~ speechless

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Cheers, thanks a lot!! A compliment from you is always the best!!
    With your green fingers, not just the thumbs I bet you get flowers on WF by Sept. The first time my WF bloomed was actually late in the season, but now is one of the first.
    Again Thanks :)

Rox,
    Your patch will be on fire this season, just hope it dosnt tempt people to trespass. With the water as your backdrop it will be like an oasis, so blast the music and do your happy dance in your patch....Twerk Rox, Twerk..lol

senjanevada,
    Cheers :)

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! What an amazing color!

Mark

• rox146
    10 years ago

well, the crummy plumies are out front....they would have to be pretty gutsy to come thru the front door of our home and walk thru it to get out on the deck.... :-))) Locked and loaded..??? :-)))

I do have the most ever for me blooming right now and I sure hope as many are blooming for the luau....who knows with the weather? roxanne

10 years ago

The Wildfire is on FIRE!!

So beautiful...

The compliments given all all for a wonderful reason... THEY are deserved!!!

The pictures that you post are a gift to us all, especially to those of us that can't get ours to bloom !!!! It takes years and we can only hope that our trees will be as beautiful as yours....

Always a pleasure.. Thank you for the kind comments as well...

Hope to have some good pics soon!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Laura

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Wiping up drool over here...

Cool weather, hot weather doesn't matter, Wildfire is stunning! Mine took ages to get going, and now in season three the leaves are finally looking big and healthy so maybe I'll get as lucky as Rox in a year or two.

• rox146
    10 years ago

My Wildfire has an inflo happy on each tip. Best scent on this side of the yard. Need to get a few more. What holding power on and off the tree. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

we all need smellavision...

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Love its color against that blue!

• rox146
    10 years ago

It is not hard to find Cobalt in our yard....roxanne

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Jen,
    Wildfire is real slow growing. It does a lot better grafted. Here is my 3-weeks old Wildfire blooming. I bought a cutting and grafted it. It came with an inflo. Three weeks later was growing leaves and blooming.

George

• rox146
    10 years ago

So, does this mean none of the tips will bloom for me next year? roxanne

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Wildfire is my favorite plumeria bloom this year. Last year it was Makaha Sunn. I love Wildfires' red bloom, here in Texas, the color is just beautiful. I got my plant from Emerson, at the Ft Bend sale last year. I planted it in a 5 gallon pot in Aug, it did not bloom until this year after I planted it in the ground. Barbra

• rox146
    10 years ago

So, do you think after all these blooms on the tips I will have blooms on any of them next year? roxanne

10 years ago

Rox....

I think you tree is fine.. it is mature and blooming.. I think George was referring to people with cuttings. Wildfire is hard to root,, so I think he was mentioning that grafting worked well for him. I think your tree is mature and I wouldn't do anything to your tree.

You should have blooms next year as well... ;-)

It looks wonderful!!!

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Muchos Mahalos Laura.

• texasplum
    10 years ago

amazing

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Emerson's trees are all healthy and he's such a nice man. He is great at rooting. The one thing I really do not like to do is root cuttings. It's such a pain here in FL to give them the sun and humidity yet keep the dry until they root. It is easier with Gritty mix. I just cannot feel the love for grafted plants. Ever since Jim Little said what he did about grafts in his book, i avoid them. I have a few and they are my least favorites. The ones I have, seem to get lanky above the graft. It's not the graft that bothers me, but the way the trees grow above the graft.