Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplumies

Plumeria cuttings

loveplumies
10 years ago

I am new here but have been a plumeria lover for the last 16 years. I had a plumeria from a cutting for 12 years and it bloomed on the 8th year I had it and on the 9th year. It didn't bloom after that and died on me. I was saddened by it and my hubby bought me one and to my surprise it is a yellow one, my favorite color! I now have 3 cuttings that are more than 3 feet tall but less than 4 feet tall. Can I root these even though they are this tall? Or do I need to shorten them? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• elucas101
    10 years ago

You certainly can root them! That should make for a great instant tree! Good luck and we would love to see pictures if you have a chance!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

The larger the cutting the more likely you will be to successfully root. (well up to a point. if its a stump you might as well start seedlings before that will root).

Please Read some posts about callusing the cutting ends by "Citizen Insane" and his humidity chamber. Also You will really need to secure the cutting so it does not move around too much while rooting. There are a ton of posts about how to root on this forum. I recommend looking for methods used by other fellow Texans and what has worked for them. Best of luck and where are you in Texas?

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I`m on the coast and I just stick big cuttings directly in the ground here. I let them sit around for a couple of weeks then just stick them in the ground. To tell the truth I`m just as likely to stick small cuttings in the ground too.
    Alternately I mix Miracle grow with some perlite (if I can force myself to buy it- I hate that stuff), about 1:1, dip the cutting in rootone, stick it in the pot, water well, sit in am sun on the porch where it gets no rain and leave them alone until I see leaves. Then I start watering them, sticking them out in the garden or on the roof with the others. Depending on the chickens I stick an egg in before the cuttings. Right now they all want to be broody so I have no extra eggs.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Beachplant, is it important how fresh the egg for the cutting is?

Thanks.

Mima

• beachplant
    10 years ago

nope, you can use up those old eggs the hens have been hiding from you. You wouldn`t want to use one that was all dried out I imagine.
    Tally HO!

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank y'all for your response. I live in Austin. I just came from vacationing in Southern California and brought 3 huge plumeria cuttings. Two pink and one thought to be white but now that it bloomed, it's yellowish which I already have, but happy to have it. They already have callus at the ends. I'm just looking to see what's the best way to root them. I did cut a small one off the plumeria I have and I guess it rooted because new leaves came out already. I need to move it from there. I will post pictures later. Thanks again!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Loveplumies
    We are having the Austin/San Antonio Plumeria group meeting in San Marcos on August 4th at 10:30am at the Tanger Outlet Foodcourt . There are usually 4-5 in attendance. We talk and trade plants. You are welcome to join us.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Yay, another Austinite! Welcome! Elucas and I are in the area.

Like K said, you are very welcome to meet us on the 4th! You must already have the patience of a saint to wait so long for blooms from your first plumeria, so you could probaby teach us a few things, lol.

If your new cuttings are well-callused, go ahead and put some loose soil mix--I've been using coir mixed with perlite to root and been very happy with the results--into a clear water bottle or clear plastic cup with a few drain holes in the bottom.

Then soak your cutting in water--rainwater if you have it--with a few drops of Superthrive or B12 in it for a few hours. Then pot it in the bottle, piling the soil is up to the rim so there's no plastic at the top to magnify sunlight onto the cutting's surface at the soil line. Empty toilet paper rolls are great for protecting the base of the cuttings, too.

Water once with the soak water and leave the cutting in shade outside, propped with a stake or heavy rocks, anything to keep it stable. It's too hot now to put them in sun. As long as there's some indirect sunlight for them, they'll be fine. I've lost many good cuttings to sunburn in our summers!

Hopefully in 6 weeks or so you'll see this:

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Jen