Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virgo1667

Rare Kolika with splashes of Red Colors

virgo1667
9 years ago

Hello, is it normal to have Red splashes of colors of my Kolika Plumeria? I have this Plant 8 years ago and this is the First time ever giving me splashes of Red Colors!!!

This post was edited by Virgo1667 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 1:20

Comments (18)

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture

• elucas101
    9 years ago

Hello! It could just be a color break and it could also be a virus. I don't know how to be sure which is which, maybe others can chime in about that or at least you can start to research & maybe find your answers that way. Good luck, sorry I don't have more info, no experience with this yet.

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info...Virus is that good?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

As far as i know the virus that does not kill the plant just changes the flower color and a few other things. It can spread to other plants so caution should be taken when pruning. I dont know how to confirm or test if it is a virus.

Mike

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Mike...Viruses is not a plant disease right? It's just a Mosaics of colors or a color break and that's what makes a plant different from other Plumeria?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

It depends on who you ask on whether a color break is good or not.

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the Normal flowers without the color break or a Virus...I am just confused if my Plant is Normal or diseased plant but it seems a very healthy plant...

• steiconi
    9 years ago

A virus is a disease (in people, viruses cause colds and flu).

In flowers, many viruses just cause a change in color, but don't harm the plant.

You would not want a valuable plant to get the virus; it can be passed on in seeds, cuttings, or by dirty blades, and maybe by air.

Removing and destroying the affected portions of the plant and cleaning your tools with alcohol would probably help prevent the spread.

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, but I thought the Virus it really wasn't a disease I thought it was a Color Break or a mosaic of colors and that what makes a Plumeria become a unique...This is the very first time having a Color Break, it's unusual but Unique or Rare if you put it that way...Actually my neighbor just stopped by this morning and compliment the flowers...Anyway thank you so very much for your input on this...

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the Tree of my Rare Kolika...It is full of Bouquet of Flowers!!! Truly Beautiful!!!

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is more Pics!!

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More Beautiful Pics!!

• jandey1
    9 years ago

She's a beauty! Is it possibly the same as Princess Victoria?

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, this is Kolika for sure....I bought the Plant 8 years ago and I have still the record of the description about this particular cultivar...That's what the Seller say about this....Anyway, I have a Marble Queen Plumeria that I bought from the same Seller back in 2006 and it seems that my Marble Queen has the same similarity to Princess Victoria...I will post a picture on my marble Queen Plumeria Below...Ty

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See the difference between the Kolika and the Marble Queen/Princess Victoria....The Kolika it has a very distinct red or Pink line at the back and the Marble Queen/Princess Victoria doesn't have that dark line at the back a bit lighter color... I am not the expert but I know I have both record of these Two Plumerias still in hand....I will post pictures between the Two colors differences to clarify... any suggestion are very helpful....

• virgo1667
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the Marble Queen/PV pic comparison wise

• elucas101
    9 years ago

I agree with the good info and advice that Mike, Mona and steiconi have given.

If it's a color break it depends on who you ask if it's a good thing or not, however if it's a virus I think almost everyone would agree it's NOT a good thing because it can spread to your other plumeria. If you bought 2 plants from the same seller of different varieties, I think that would lean more towards a virus than a color break, as the odds of that happening to 2 different plants as a color break seems low.

It's up to you on what to do, if anything. If you're not worried about the possible spread if it is a virus and the plant seems healthy then you don't need to do anything.
    Good luck!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I think it's heat related and nothing more if it's all relegated to the same inflo. Any recent temps in the high 90 or a change in the amount of sunlight?