Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

potting bare root cuttings

Minderella
11 years ago

I know I read that someone puts their bare root cuttings in a pail of water with superthrive and I can't find it. I received 2 bareroot cuttings today and want to find out how to do that. They came from 1 stop. Thanks to all the help with finding this. It was talking about them getting dry while being shipped.

Mindy

Comments (5)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy,

I looked for that post too! Couldnt find it, prpbably cuz im tired... LOL

I did bump up a post i did about bare rooting a tree.. it should be at the top.. or close.. I tried to link it to this thread..but the site was having issues... You can saok in B-1 or superthrive for an hour then pot up..or just spray the roots pot up and water well...

hope this helps...

Laura

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Mindy and Laura,

I thought I would chime in here since I received two bare rooted cuttings from Thailand earlier this summer. There wasn't a speck of dirt on them and they were bone dry when I received them. I had no idea what to expect after the long journey from Thailand. To my surprise, they were still firm and showed no real signs of stress. I immediately unpacked them and was even more surprised to see one maybe two roots on each cutting. Each root was no longer than two inches and about the size of a bean sprout in thickness. It was a risk I was willing to take buying on ebay and from Thailand. I promptly whipped up a batch of plumeria brew - about a cup of water with 3 drops of superthrive. After soaking the cuttings in the brew overnight, I planted them in a modified gritty mix. By that I mean I added an equal part of potting soil to the normal gritty ingredients. Figured that would help weather the 104 degree temps I was getting in Virginia. I soaked it good and kept watering periodically because of such hot temps.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I now have multiple leaves off the tops of both cuttings. I consider myself lucky. I never thought I'd see much from so little in the rooting department. You can see how the cuttings looked right after unpacking them.

Another bare rooting story to help you out maybe. One winter I stored two 5 foot tall trees bare rooted. They were in the basement for the winter months sitting high and dry. Come spring I put them in new potting soil, pea gravel, perlite, and reptile bark. Kept them watered, but not soaking wet and in a few weeks they woke up and grew just fine. {{gwi:1180486}}From Garden 2012

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone who wrote this in this forum please step forward. I like your idea and want to read it again and cant find it.

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found it. It was janey post under Heat Wave. I received the 2 rooted cuttings I had ordered and wanted to give them a head start. They look fabulous. Thanks Matt.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

HI Dave,
    Just curious..what Thai nursery did you order from? I am thinking I may try my luck at ordering from Thailand next year but I really would like to order from a nursery that others have ordered from. I realize that it is still a gamble but maybe my odds would be better.

BTW..what did you order from them, and do you have any pictures of how they look now?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County