Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dourbest

Too much or not enough water?

dourbest
10 years ago

Hi, noticed this seedling wasn't growing so I pulled it up and found this. The entire plant is still firm including the shriveled part of the stem.

Please diagnose.

Thank you.......

Comments (11)

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi dourbest - what I normally do is to cut at the shriveled section and sink the seedling back into the soil...and mist the plant itself instead of watering directly into the soil.

The other option is...if the the root system is still fresh and have not rotted, you can sink the plant deeper into the soil until you can no longer see the shriveled section and water as usual.

I am sure the fantastic knowledgeable folks on this forum will be able to help you further. And good luck to you.

Kasie

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kasie, thank you for your suggestions. For option 2, if I bury the stem lower under the soil without cutting the shriveled section will the stem fatten up again or grow more roots?

Ellie...

Is this pretty common for seedlings?

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi Ellie - I honestly don't know if it will fattened up as I've never pulled one out to see after I tried to remedy it. I figured that if it's not rotting, that was good enough for me. I have 4 that is still hanging on like yours and nor is it rotting. Looks like birthday candles though :-)

Kasie

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kasie, I found two more shriveled plants just like the pictured one above. I'll try both of your suggestions. Have a nice weekend.

Ellie....

• jandey1
    10 years ago

That's very strange, Ellie. I'm not sure what caused it, but over-watering usually results in rot, not a dried out end like that. And it's kinda hard to over-water seedlings in summer since they have such good root systems.

Is it possible the seedling trunks got sunburned at the soil line? That would cause that hard, caved-in area; I've had it happen a few times in the heat of summer.

You could try with one of those seedlings just lightly scoring the bark above the dried up area with a razor blade, just enough to encourage new roots to come out from the very shallow cuts. The roots come from the cambium layer, just under the bark layer. Couldn't hurt to try it at this point. Good luck!

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jandey, thanks for the razor blade tip. I did not know you can do that. I have a few cuttings that I had cut at an angle. When I went to repot I noticed the plant only had roots growing from the bottom tip. (Huh?)

I would love to use the razor blade technique to just score it to grow additional roots instead of recutting and rerooting. I am not very good with rooting cuttings.

Thank you so much!!!

• pcput
    10 years ago

dourbest , did you have rocks in the top of your pots? I've seen burns like that from the rocks getting hot. Just a thought.
    Peg

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Peg,
    No, just the soil. What are fertilizer burn? Signs of fertilizer burn? I have been having more problems with my plumerias. I bought Kellogs brand soil for half the price of Miracle Gro and since I have been using that I've been noticing more of the "sun burns" on my seedlings. Not looking forward to cutting more of my plumies. My success rate for rooting cuttings are pretty much pathetic.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Recent experiments by citizen insane show that straight cuts tend to produce roots all around while angle cuts tend to produce roots mainly at the tips.

When you replant, try to get the soil level up to the rim of the pot to reduce the chances of sunburn.

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, next time I replant I will try to get the soil level to the rim as you suggested.

I am very new to plumerias. 1st time growing from seed and cuttings last year.

I appreciate everyone's patience and advice.

Ellie.....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Ellie...

We all started too!!

We all love to help!! Just ask!!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living