Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Plumeria branch rooting

jane__ny
10 years ago

We moved to Florida a year ago. My Plumerias (3) were grown in pots for years and I happily put them in the ground. This is their first bloom since being transplanted 6 months ago.

One tree is growing in a area where there are thick bushes and weeds which I have neglected clearing due to the heat. Today, I started clearing vines and tall grass and noticed a piece of the Plumiera branch laying on the ground next to the tree. It was buried under a bunch of vines. I went to pick it up and realized it had rooted along the length of the branch. It also has leaves growing from the tip (which is laying on the ground.)

I left it there because I didn't want to destroy the roots. First of all, how the heck did it root along the branch, not from the broken base? Also, what do I do with it? Just leave it and see if it grows upwards.

I don't have a pic as it began to rain. Has anyone had a branch root along the length of the branch?

Jane

Comments (10)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow. Very interesting! I'm sure someone with lots more knowledge and experience will let ya know! Good luck! Can't wait to read further on.

Chuy

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

anytime a succulent or cactus breaks I stick it in the same pot but horizontally and try to forget about it. My mother taught it to me, I can only assume her mother taught her, seem it would work for plumies too. Please post a close-up photos when you can. I'm interested to see how it looks. =)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Fascinating! Can you snap a photo of the roots as they're growing now? I'm sure citizen_insane would love to use the image in his research.

• darlenemtdora
    10 years ago

I have 2 plumerias and a friend gave me several cuttings from her plant. Do I let them dry out (how long) or put them directly in dirt. Any info is greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

You have been able to horizontally root! Its the Yeti of plumeria rooting. Pictures please!

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I have seen a pic from the Koko Crater Botanical Garden on Oahu where a big branch had fallen on the ground and had several stalks growing from it. I would leave it and let it grow, it definitely wants to.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been able to get to the tree as it has been raining since yesterday. Pouring, flooding rain.

As I stated, the tree was being taken over with vines and I attempted to clear it. We had fencing installed around the property 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering if the branch got knocked off by the workmen. It was buried under the vines and leaves. The fencing work left a mess and my Plumies were all planted near the fence.

Here is a pic of the tree as the fence was being installed. You can see the vines around the base. BTW, this is a noid Plumie I bought years ago as a cutting. It has pink/white flowers. It was always potted until 6 months ago when I put it in the ground.

The tree is to the right of the fence post and must have gotten damaged by the work.

When I started pulling out the vines yesterday, I saw the branch underneath and it was rooted to the ground. I pulled at it and the branch felt rooted along the branch. I left it because it began to pour and I didn't want to damage the roots without checking it more carefully.

If I can get out tomorrow, I'll photography what I find. I did notice new leaves emerging from the tip as well as the older leaves. Very odd.

Maybe I'm wrong and it is tied down by the vines, but I doubt it. The other strange part is the branch was buried under a ton of vines and leaves from the clearing for the fence. It could not have been getting much air or light as it was thickly covered.

I'll follow-up tomorrow.

Jane

• intotheblueFL
    10 years ago

I could most definitely see this happening in your case.

The secondary spot for any plant to grow roots is at the node/leaf sites. This is why when cloning any plant, it's best to trim off the bottom 2-3 leaves and plant those under the soil as it will only give multiple rooting sites.Trim gently with a razor blade to not cut into the stalk, but as close to it as you can.

The other part of cloning/rooting as we know is humidity. If the stalk was on the ground, in constant contact with humid soil, under thick underbrush which kept it moist.. then voila! You have roots via node sites.

This post was edited by intotheblueFL on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 9:39

• beachplant
    10 years ago

How cool!
    Rain! Yeah! We`re in our usual summer drought, chance of rain this weekend so I`ll be doing the nekkid turtle dance all week.
    Tally HO!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pouring rain again but I went out (like an idiot) trying to get a better look. The branch is tightly rooted to the ground. Can't tell where the roots are coming from. Not the broken end which appears dried up. I was afraid to pull too much and break the roots. The tip has leaves growing toward the sky.

Think I should just leave it? I pulled up some of the vines, which are rooted all around the branch. The soil is really mulchy, leaves and broken twigs from the fence work. It is very wet. The area behind the Plumie is flooded (by the fence posts).
    Beachplant, forget the dance, grab your raincoat!

Jane