Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Stenopetala - what a scent on a tiny flower

georgecc
10 years ago

Stenopetala finally opened, a little spidery flower from Cuba with a large wafting scent. No-Clue, I immediately thought of you and your love of scents. Got the plant this spring, grafted (in nature, it's vine like). It was only about 6 inches tall, so I certainly didn't expect flowers this year. But there you go! This is a very unusual and special plumeria.

Comments (20)

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and here's a pic of the plant and the flower before it opened. The whole thing is less than 8 inches tall.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Simi,
    Very nice!!!.. Its a profuse bloomer, and is a vine bush. I have mine running up and on 2 different plumeria trees as it is kind of Wild when it gets large. Ive had mine since its intro @ FC in 2005. I am considering getting rid of it as its a bit much to work with. There is a tree version that Brad @BBB sells, I believe its a cross between Stenopetala and Pudica..

Thanks for sharing
    Cheers

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freak, that sounds awesome! If you do decide to get rid of it someday and want to sell it, let me know, I've got some nice spots to enjoy it from!

• nativec
    10 years ago

I love it! So delicate and what a beautifully sculpted flower. I tried a Steno. once but wasn't successful.

Congrats on your bloom!

Nicole

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nicole, I appreciate it.

I misestimated the height - the plant is abut 13". Couple more flowers about to open.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Simi!

How wonderful to have this fragrant tree close to your house for you and the dogs to enjoy!!!, ;-)

I agree. It must have a wonderful scent and I am
    Sure your yard is truly a sight to see.

Congratulations on all of the hard work starting to show for you and your family!!

You certainly deserve this and much more!!!

Pssst. Can you smell it In The canoes? Lol

Take care!!

Laura

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, from the canoe you can smell the Firestorm and the butterfly gingers when you pass by. LOL. I got the canoe for rivers and lakes, but decided to practice in the pool. The dogs like it so much, though, that we haven't taken it out!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And maybe grape Koolaid - yes, Bill Moragne is almost ready to open for the first time!!! WOOOHOOO! I am so fidgety and excited about it, that I'm out there every 30 minutes with a flashlight. May sleep in the canoe tonight, just in case it opens overnight LOL I've been waiting for this one with great anticipation! (Greater than even usual!)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Flashlight in the night eh?

I know what that is like.

Do it all the time. Neighbors love me!! Lol

Can't wait to see Bill open for you!!! How exciting!!! ;-)

Enjoy your day !!!

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Such a dangerous forum! This is why I haven't been on it in days. Laugh.
    Congrats on your bloom!
    Of course now I want one. ;)

-Robert

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, Laura, I got the idea from you, LOL. Hasn't opened yet. Dang, I have to go to work. I have a webcamera though, I'll point it at Bill so I can check from work. Boy, this has gotten out of hand!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Simi,

What is this?!! Is this a Plumeria or what?? What fragrance? I want one! LOL

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Too cool!

Robert, I know, this forum is too dangerous, I want one now. My CHAD is really severe this year (chronic horticulture acquisition disorder).
    Tally HO!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, I thought of you as soon as it opened and the scent wafted out.

It's little, scrawny and vine-like - but it smells great!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Where did you get this cutie? I might have to get one!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Florida Colors. Grafted and rooted. It was so tiny when I got it in the spring that I thought that no way would it bloom this year.

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

you know what I like best about the above photo? POTTY PAPERS!!!!! you just solved a problem for me...

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lnorigb, No joke! Left over from housebreaking my dogs - it's amazing how useful they are with furniture and plants! Water without fear.

I am working on a little greenhouse, so someday the cuttings will be there. But I'm enjoying them now in the area where I work.

• cwcervantes
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous! Mine has put out some nice growth but no flowers! It's start to droop so I might need to trellis it soon.

Here's a pic:

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's looking great! Hope you get flowers soon!

Sponsored