Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Plumeria addiction, current year acquisitions

Well for a few years I was a good boy, maybe one or two adds, and a similar number of deletes to the collection so I had a net reduction down to the low 20's. Last summer I got overzealous and added this list during South Coast Plumeria Society home visit in August and later the San Diego plumeria sale in September:

Kaneohe Sunburst
Saigon Moon
Nebel's Rainbow

Charlotte Ebert
Scentsational
Dwarf Deciduous
Aztec Gold
Penang Peach

Add to that, two more that I got from a friend, one is definitely Theresa Wilder, not sure what the other is.

I'm now getting some flowers from the Kaneohe Sunburst, the Charlotte Ebert, Scensational, Dwarf Deciduous, Theresa Wilder and Aztec gold.

Well this year, with all the frenzy around the Jungle Jack's plumeria hitting the local Lowes, it got my craving going again... but never saw much more than Mini Whites and Divines so I had to go for the hard stuff, plumeria krank....perdition....

First, online purchases from Brads Buds and Blooms

Sariah's Curly Pink
Giant Aussie Orange

Then a cutting from a plant I bought online for a coworker years ago, shipped from Thailand, and she gave me a branch from her now large plant:

Nokapaw

Then, a rooted cutting from Matt on Ebay:

Waimea

Then the South Coast Plumeria Society sale in August:

Ralph's Rainbow
Ken Ames
Col's Cooktown Sunset

add to that multiple cuttings from my trees, Sangwal Tabtim, Pretty Princess, several Thornton's Lemon Drops, a couple of Thai Splashes and several JJ's Typhoons.....

I need a 12 step program ... sigh...

Here's a photo of the Ralph's Rainbow, the seller had some blooms available to show, and the Ken Ames....

Comments (17)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another of the Ralph's Rainbow

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RR next to Thornton's Lemon Drop

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RR next to Wildfire

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and finally, RR next to the Ken Ames I bought in flower

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and now the picture I neglected to add .... Ken Ames and RR

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is Ken Ames... solo

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, and it is only July... JJ's open house this weekend, a few more plant sales, garden tours before September ... I'm lost... pray for me.... ;-)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

MJ,

You got it bad! LOL
    Welcome to the addiction group for plumeria!!!

I love the RR, its the first I've seen of it.

Lonnie

• rox146
    9 years ago

such a great collection you have and wonderful looking blooms...congrats! roxanne

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

I have been trying really hard to control myself this year but its not happening! Last year I had a total of 6, this year I am now up to 25, 2 on order and now that I see the Ralphs Rainbow, well ya know. Can I ask where you got it?? I absolutely love it!! I think I am going to be one of those who cant stop the addiction, I will go ahead and admit it now :).

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Houndmom.... sounds like you need an intervention ;)

I got the RR from a local here at a South Coast Plumeria Society meeting. He has a large backyard filled with trees and often sells cuttings at those meetings, but I don't think he's a regular vendor that you can order from online or via the internet. To the best of my knowledge, he is the only person who grows that tree - but locally the variety appears well known from his interactions with the plumeria subculture here ;) He brought, I think, 5 rooted cuttings, I got there almost when the gates opened and he had already sold 4, I got the last one.

But something to keep in mind, as one of the regular posters here says often - each of those cute little trees grows to the size of a Volkswagen, how many VW's can you fit in your growing space? Of course I pass on that advice but don't take it myself, haha.

Good luck.

Mike

• rox146
    9 years ago

will there be a RR at the meeting on Sunday I wonder?

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

Mike - so your saying there is no way of getting one?? I would be heartbroken. If you hear of him ever having any that he wants to sell, would you please let me know?? It would be greatly appreciated!!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rox,

I believe the meeting this Sunday has been converted into a road trip to hear a speaker at the Southern California Plumeria Society meeting in San Diego and I'm not sure this gentleman will be taking plants and cuttings down there, I suspect not. The Orange County based South Coast Society does have its annual garden tour coming up and I believe this vendor is on the circuit and has a number of cuttings for sale, and last year I recall people finding one or two RR's in those cuttings, but not many.

Houndmom, will let you know if I hear anything new.

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

How did your JJ Typhoon root for you? I am wondering if I should gamble and buy it as an unrooted cutting or a 1 gal tree. ETLD is one I wished I would have bought as a larger tree. I got mine from FC 2 years ago, and even with it's 2 tips, I still don't have any inflos. I wonder if it just needs to be a larger tree in order to bloom.

The Giant Aussie Orange must be beautiful when it blooms! I wonder if that was the same variety that Laura bought? I am going to have to check BBB's website. I love orange plumeria! My largest JJ Orange FINALLY has it's first inflo forming! I have not seen this variety bloom in person, so I am really excited!

Thanks for the awesome pics and happy growing!

Andrew

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Andrew,

For some reason, I'm finding Typhoon very difficult to root. That large branch that broke off for me last year still hasn't rooted, , it is still firm, leaves are pushing out but you can tell there aren't roots to push them to finally open up. This spring I cleaned up the parent tree, cut off another large branch that was weighting the tree off to the side, and another mid branch cutting almost as thick as my wrist in March and both show signs of growth but again haven't leafed out. But on the other side I have three rooted TLD's and two more that I think will root soon all started at the same time.

I'm surprised your TLD hasn't grown much or bloomed, mine seem to bloom from every tip, branch out 3-4 tips from every branch every year. Of the three cuttings I have that did root, all three have blooming inflos... even one that was only 5 inches long has an inflo and two new growing tips. Maybe it is your northern climate somehow affecting them?

Congrats on your JJ Orange, I've been lusting after one of those but it isn't one of his cheaper varieties... sigh... lol

Mike

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Love that RR!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH