Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Thornton Lemon Drop Cuttings... short cuttings work!

I have a T. Lemon Drop in the yard, been through thick and thin with it since 2008. Almost lost the tree in 2010 when it split in two and the base died, had to re-root the two branches. Well, rooted both, and a few others since then, kept one of the larger cuttings and this year experimented with rooting short 4-6 inch cuttings... and it worked! ... got to give it to TLD, that plant loves to bloom and even 4-5 inch cuttings root. Here are some pictures:

Current momma plant, blooming on all tips:

The record winner, a 4-5 inch cutting that rooted and bloomed this year, now has two growing tips, will be amazing next year (momma plant in the background)

Another branch I cut off in April, bloomed on all tips:

Add that and two other short cuttings that are near rooting, TLD is an amazing plumeria.

Mike

Comments (26)

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Wow. Great job!! I'm very impressed!! Don't think I have this one. Beautiful blooms.

Chuy

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Great looking plants. You did a great job of saving it and it is so cute that a short plant is blooming so well. Great job, Barb

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Love it Mike !!!

It is a very profuse bloomer!!! You did a great job.. They all look so healthy!!

Love ETLD!!! She is a winner!!!

Take care!!!

Laura

• nativec
    9 years ago

Mike-I'm amazed at what you have done with ETLD! I remember when you posted pic's of the split tree. You have something special going on!

On a different note... I'm waiting for your JJ Typhoon to make appearance this season...ahem :)

Take care

Nicole

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nicole,

I didn't forget that promise ;) For some reason I'm having the dickens getting the Typhoon to root. The two small cuttings I had last fall both rotted, the large branch that broke off still hasn't rooted - just a few short leaves that never open up on the tips of the branches. I do have two other cuttings that I took when I cleaned up the tree in April that are hinting they might be considering rooting, but again, they've been sitting in pots since April and are only hinting. Maybe I should just cut off a branch to send you and see if you have better luck inland.

TLD roots easily and I've rooted several others this season, including a Sangwal Tabtim I cut in April that is just now rooting and blooming, a Nokapaw and a Sariahs Curly Pink that I had delivered in early June - both are already rooted and growng. Maybe Typhoon just doesn't like me, or maybe it is more like the two cuttings I have of JJ's Thai Splash that I cut from a dying mother tree in April 2013 and that are just now rooted and growing leaves in the past few weeks.

Mike

• nativec
    9 years ago

Mike...LOL I was talking about you posting pic's of your tree! I would never be so presumptuous :) I always enjoy looking at Typhoon.

I've dealt with a few that have taken over a year to root. They are the ones that really test patience levels. I know how it feels to wait for roots.

I added Pretty Princess this year thanks to your photos last season. Go figure since I often claim that I don't care so much for pink. I won't mention all the others I've added..because well...that would expose my addiction.

Your trees are looking great! Congrats :)

Nicole

• texasplum
    9 years ago

that is amazing! Cant believe its blooming that well on a newly rooted cutting! one of these days I will find me a good one. thanks for sharing!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Beautiful plants. Every collection should have a ETLD. Mine bloomed last year as a newly rooted cutting but has not had any inflos just yet. Still lots of time to go.

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! Love all its blooms!

Great plant.

Mark

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

Nice! Love the color. Sometimes there is a yellow plumeria that I love that stands out from the celadine, and this is one! Wish I had that good of luck with small cuttings.

Josh

9 years ago

Hi Mike!!

Love your tree.. ETLD is classic beauty.. I'm going to be in that spot soon. My tree is huge and Im thinking of rooting some cuttings like some of yours.. They remind me of those canopy trees. They are so beautiful.. Great job!! Probably next spring.. Mine is full of inflos now.. Can't wait to go home and see them!!

Nicole.. OMG.. You just made me feel the pain I felt at JJs. I had a typhoon in my hands and when I went to check out, I felt so bad because of the amount I had. ( hate to admit this..argh). Still makes me ill... I put it back. Yes.. I thought I was being good. Then I regretted it the rest of the trip.. Thanks to some of my " friends.. ". Lol!! They said they would have told me to " buy it." I would love to be there with you.. Double trouble.. !!

Mike .. Do you think Typhoon is a hard one to root? Just one of those varieties? Kapalua is one that is very difficult.. I hope you have good luck with the others..

Love your pics. Emily would never be hinting.. She is to kind.!! ;-). A sweetheart ...

Thanks for all of those beautiful pics.. I think I'll do some cuttings of ETLD too!! I like the short multi tipped trees.. Awesome!!

Wish I had time to have seen you while we were in Huntington Beach..

Take care,

Laura

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chuy, Barb, Josh, Mark, Texasplum, Kms2, thank you all for your input too :)

• chuy415
    9 years ago

:0)-- what can I say.... Plumies just make me smile!!

Chuy

• nativec
    9 years ago

Mike,

You just confirmed for me once again all the reasons why I "had to " have Pretty Princess(despite the fact that the name drives me crazy) LOL I think the subtlety of the colors in cooler temperatures is spectacular. The colors in hot weather aren't to shabby either :) Thank you for sharing it again. I'm sure I have a few years before I see mine bloom.

In regards to Typhoon and rooting...heck yes I'd give it a try (I'm sure Laura would too) It's a very kind offer. Just let me know what you decide. I'm certainly up for the challenge.

Nicole

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

It always makes me happy when you post photos of your ETLD! Such a beauty it is!

I will admit to having a bit of ETLD envy. Looking at your fat little branch that you rooted and then looking at my plant. Grrrr... she's in that gangly age.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I wanted to come and take back what I said about my ETLD. She was done an injustice! Although there still is no inflo to behold, she is fattening up! :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Wow! This thread has really inspired me to search out an ET Lemon Drop! Anything that blooms this well and is somewhat compact (and an easy rooter) gets major points in my book.

That is truly a stunning display! Thanks for posting!

9 years ago

HI Mike!!!

I will see you again on the next " stocking up trip". LOL!!!

We really had a wonderful time.. Miss it already!! I love it there...

Lovely ETLD. make me happy to see those bloom, she is a classic and I agree with others.. A must have in any collection!! She is that gorgeous !!

Mike, I would love to give typhoon a try at my best rooting attempts! Thank
    you for the kind offer!!!

Nicole.. " Pretty Princess". I laugh at that name too!! But she sure is a beauty.. Heck. What ever they call it,, " gorgeous gal.." " blond bombshell" Lol. I still would love to have it! To funny.... I'm laughing with you right now... ;-)

Dave.. No worries. ;-)

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

stunning plants!! when you finish writing your 'how to' book, please let me know!! I NEED it!!! ....your book of secrets!!!!

• nativec
    9 years ago

Laura - those are some pretty creative names...LOL you had me cracking up :)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

I have to get another ETLD. Mine died last winter.

Lonnie

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Mike, that's the sound of a hundred pens scribbling "TLD" on their wish lists :)

Your plant is glorious, and bounced back magnificently from your earlier disaster. I remember that well--possum or cat, right?

Do you water very often?

• heatpipe
    8 years ago

Mike,

I'm looking for two TLDs. Do you have any rooted plants you are willing to part with? Please send me a message if you do.

Thanks,
    Todd

• heatpipe
    8 years ago

Mike,

Did you get the reply I sent to your message on Tuesday?

Todd

• Mediterranean_Zon10b
    8 years ago

I have to get this one!! What a blooming profussion

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm