Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

What a difference a bit of heat will do in a few days for blooms

Kimo
10 years ago

Ok I posted pics of cool temp blooms from last week. With temps in the 80s for the last 4 days or so I heard the guy I hired to water my patch had not shown up for about 5 days per my property Mgr. I tried calling the guy and did not get a response, so went down to the patch this evening to ck on my plants and to pot up 2 HB plants I promised to people.

Ok just in 4 days you can see a difference in bloom shape and color

Sherbert Town...starting to show her veins and colors(could only imagine if got to the upper 80s or low 90's:

India agian...luv her. Funny thing is her color did not improve, so she is a good cool bloomer:

Ruby Gold from Oz finally opening:

Reddish Morange aka 93..just opening:

Puu Kahea much improved:

ACW just starting:

San Miguel

CA Sally:

University Hawaii Orange... yellow flowers from before but the new buds opening are orange and reddish:

WIldfire just starting:

Penang Peach...with heat:

Thortons Lemon Drop:

Bonnie Fox Just starting:

J Morange starting to bloom tons of inflos

Hong Kong just starting to blooms...usually the 1st to bloom

Aurora Borealis really picking up color, reds and oranges:

Still waiting on the rest of the patch to blow up..

Comments (29)

• chuy415
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Breath taking!!! ;)

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

James !

Absolutely stunning!! The colors are so vibrant. Love all of them especially i love AB and San Miguel.
    My SM has an inflo showing ! yes! I hope she will be as beautiful as yours !

Did the guy ever show up?

They all look wonderful. You were right on time. ! Whoa !

Cheers!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

If I ever find myself needing a job...that one sounds about perfect.

Beautiful plants as always. thanks for sharing and giving me a look at what to expect from San Miguel Pu'u. Both of mine are rooted summer 2012.

• rox146
    10 years ago

My San Miguel has it's 1st inflo and Puu Kahea has one on each of it's 4 tips and I am very excited. Today we are smothered in fog/drizzle and the heat wave is over for Ventura. roxanne

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Wow!
    I could just kick myself for not picking up India at the PSA sale, I shall just have to track one down.
    AB is gorgeous.
    I usually don`t care so much for white but HK is really a wowser!
    Sherbert town has to be my favorite of the bunch, imagine how deep that coloring would get in the heat here, well, not today, it`s only 90. Cold front.
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

James! That's amazing how a few days of heat can make such a huge difference in color intensity! I love them all but I must say Reddish M #93 and AB are my favorite of the bunch.

I'm going to hunt for Reddish M #93. :)

Thank you for the eye feast!!

• rox146
    10 years ago

do you guys think Derrick's Hawaii India I bought from him in May is the same as the India in your gorgeous photo? roxanne

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

great photos. I love them all.

thanks for posting them

Mike

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chuy Thanks so much :)

Laura, Thanks!! Your package will go out tomorrow. San Miguel took couple of years for it to bloom correctly, initially it would drop a lot of flower/buds so you would not see a full inflo. I've had my SM since 2006. I think you will love her when she blows up in color.
    When I arrived @ the patch I talked to the Prop Mgr and was told the dude who waters and sweeps showed up after lunch. I had a full time gardner that worked for me to maintain my my house and Apt yards, he hired 2 other workers to do a lot of the work with him. The gardner was Japanese (1 of the last in So Cal), and he was old and an alcoholic (Id find him sleeping in his truck during his lunch break or under my patio by my pool smelling like booze. Well one day I tried calling and calling, never got a response back and he never came to claim his paycheck. Well I went to his house only to find out he had passed away from a heart attack. So when this old Korean guy (in his early 70's) wouldnt return my call I assumed the worst, for him and my plumies.
    So had a happy ending, good news and colorful plumies.
    Thanks again Laura!!

KMS2 Thanks and I also love Puu Kahea :)
    I think Puu Kahea is another one that should be on the Classics list for her brilliance.

Hey Roxanne,
    Isnt the weather KrAzY :) I was told it was overcast, ugly and cool yesterday morning in my patch with cool temps till 10 45am yesterday then it got to 88. Unfortunately @ 8 25am, the sun was blazing where I live... I keep my AC @ 60 as I like it cold.
    As for Puu Kahea and San Miguel, when I first bought PK From Marilynns Gardens in 2001 I noticed that it had issues with blooming like San Miguel, only a few buds bloomed and then dropped, some plumie friends in OC stated the same thing (waving at Twila). I almost felt that PK and SM were related because they initially flowered the same way. Kind of reminds me of the first season I had JJ's Taj Mahal, did the same thing on its inflo.
    As for your India, I believe George said that Derrick's India was not a correct/true India. Id wait and see it bloom first before you make any decisions or get another one. Even in the cool coastal temps Indias flowers perform. Only thing is my Inida is leggy like an Aztec Gold can be.. Check your India and see if leggy looking might be an India.
    Thanks again :)

Beach Plant,
    I actually almost kicked India out of my patch as she took forever to bloom and was leggy. After her first blooms, just like Sundance she won favor so I kept her as 1 of my classics. I personally do not like Spicy ones, she smells like nutmeg.
    I got my India I believe from MPG. Hope you find 1..

Cheers, thanks a lot Mike. Hope all is well in OK.... Isnt this week OK's fav season BBQ :) 2 good thing that happen in July Plumies N BBQ

Thanks again everyone.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 12:24

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

very nice

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well looks like the heat is over for my patch, downward cooling trend for the next 7 days. Well hope my plumies enjoyed the fun in the sun for the past 6 days now.

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi James - absolutely breath taking. Bravo! Bravo! Is your Jacks Purple tree blooming? If so, please post picture of that tree too. Thank you for making my hot in hades day more bearable :-)

Kasie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

73! I`d need a coat.
    Tally HO!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Kasie,
    Yes the Jacks Purple is starting to bloom, had pic of 2 blooms last week when it was still cool. The only issue is the Tree is HUGE, probably about 9ft tall, so most of the inflos are at the top. I saw another inflo that was open at the top, the flowers were the color like in Thailand. Unfortunately I have issue with my rt knee, will be getting a knee replacement, so could not go up the ladder. I am going to the patch again today to meet a contractor to pick tiles so Ill see if there is a way to get a pic of it. Withe the temps cooling down Jacks Purple will not be so purple gray...
    Here is a pic from last summer when it was cooler, the flowers do have a purplish tint, but more mauve. The 6ft tall block wall is next to it. I had to go to the apts I own next to my patch and go up the stairs to take the pic. Again when I was there last night the flowers were that Purple/lavender gray color

Lynn this is for you as you were asking about JJs Thai peach the one that is not longer available as Johns parent/mother tree was lost. John only had this for one season in limited numebers and I believe Sonia bought most of them. This is a pic of it blooming in high heat @ my friends Gabbys house in the IE. In my patch it changes color from yellow with lavender to rainbow with some purples depending on heat and sun. JJ's Thai peach flowers are HUGE, like 4" round or larger, profuse bloomer. The only thing I do not like is that on my tree it kind of has a droopy/weepie growth habit, similar to some Aztec Golds. A lot of branches broke of last year (the droopy ones) when there was a HUGE windstorm. I ended up giving those to Irene Jones who was rooting them.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 18:20

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thanks James,

Everything is so beautiful! You are so lucky!! Thanks again for taking the photos I know it was hard for you. :)

• kasiec
    10 years ago

So awesome James. Thank you for the photo of JP. Oh yes, stay off the ladder. Falling off of one is no fun...been there, done that.

Kasie

• cbadcali
    10 years ago

Ok James I don't think I can stand this much longer. You are the absolute best at making me continue the plumeria quest. I keep thinking I'm done, I have enough plumeria, there isn't enough room for any more and then you go visit your patch and post pictures and I start wishing again! You take the most delicious pictures! Thanks, Mary

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

Those are amazing photos.! I have a few of them. Puu Kahea, Wildfire, Penang Peach and Hong Kong. Those aren't blooming for me yet. A few are close.That San Miguel just glows. There is no limit to he patterns and colors in this wonderful plant!. Sheer beauty!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow amazing flowers!

Mark

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

I keep coming back to ogle UHO... love it so.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tavimh,

Tell your husband congrats!!! Great accomplishment.
    I love the Manoa area, my aunt lives above the Univesity in the hills.
    Some plumeria people have stated the UHO might be an AKA for Kaleinani aka Kaulanani, I have both and they are very similar.
    It is a leggy vertical grower, so you will need some head room for her and patience as leggy growers do not bloom as often as compacts or dwarfs, but once it hits a certain age and height it will bloom regularly.

You might also consider University Hawaii Lani aka Lani's Beauty. This cultivar was developed by UH for the lei industry.
    Personally if I had to chose one Id go with Lani. Oh I forgot to mention that without heat and sunlight the flowers will only look yellow, no orange or reds in it. I know Denver has the most sun days of anywhere in the US, 300 days per year. But with the GH effect who knows how that will go.
    I also forgot that Marilynns Gardens has a Lani also but to me the flowers are a bit different as I have both. Here are pics to compare

Marilynns Gardens Lani:

University Hawaii Lani:

Actually the last pic was not a great representation of Lani as that was the year she got planted into the ground. If someone has a good close up of Lani and can post that would be great.

Good luck

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

James - You always have such gorgeous flowers! If you put all your photos in a book, I would buy it!

Is your Lani the same as Lani's Beauty? I will have one coming soon, via Hetty to FC for grafting, so it shouldn't be too long.

PS. Glad your water boy was alright! And, I have a lot of outside work to do and would like your temperatures for a couple of weeks. Is the humidity low? I"m sick of humidity and rain.

Doh! Lani = Lani's Beauty.

This post was edited by moonie_57 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 18:12

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

As mentioned, they are ALL stunningly beautiful but there is something about Sherbet Town that really does it for me.

Tony

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Came back to drool over AB only to find pics of Lani's Beauty. To be honest I like both versions! I have the Marilynn Garden's version but she has not bloomed yet. I think I will be happy with either one.

James, funny story. Last night when DH came back inside after taking the kids out for a spin on their go karts... he asked me:

"Have you ever seen an Aurora Borelias?"

Heart pounding I replied "YES! I have been drooling over it for weeks, but how do you know??"

He then turned out all the lights and held his iPad way above his head to show me the Aurora Borealis. Well it certainly was NOT a plumeria for sure!! LOL. So he thought I knew and I thought he knew and it turned out we were talking about two totally different things! Hahaha.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

LMBO!

That is sooo funny, Lynn!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tony,

Sherbet town is actually one of top favs, HUGE flowers and profuse bloomer on very compact growth, but nearly no smell/scent. Here are some pics of Sherbet town in hotter climates

Gabbys pics from her patch in the IE:

Lopaka's professional quality pic of his Sherbet Town from So Florida:

Lastly the picture from Thailand:

So Tony in your heat in the Valley Sherbet Town would look AMAZING and still keep her size per Gabby in the IE>
    Thanks again.

Lynn,
    Your DH is DIRTY....to pull a trick like that on you .lol
    But I named my plumie Aurora Borealis because it has the colors of the Northern Lights aka Aurora B, plus she glows like the Aurora...thus the name.
    Tell your husband he is a P.T. (Plumie Tease), how DARE he taunt and tease an addict..lol

Tell him he owes you for a fix now @ JJs lol.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 23:30

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi James..

As per your request of a close up of Lani..

This was a few years ago,, but she is a beauty!!!

I love Lani!!! ;-)

Take care!!!

Hope you all have a great 4th Happy Birthday America!!!

Laura

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU Laura!!!
    Hey based on your eye does your Lani and the Marilynn's Lani look similar, or does yours look more like my non Marilynns Lani?

Oh and thanks for the company/conversation while I was gorging on my food alone..lol Well I did have those big feet to look at across from me...could have counted piggies..lol

Thanks again

Found some OLD pics of non Marilynn's Lani, sorry quality not that great as it was from 2001, maybe 6 or 8 megpixls lol:

With color break virus...Lani tends to get the virus as a whole:

This is from 2001 also with the same old camera...Marilynns Lani:

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 1:07

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone