Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_fv

Tree Shape and Inflo

mike_fv
10 years ago

When purchasing plumeria I've always made the choice based on the flower (color shape size etc). Root it, care for it for a few years only to find it is very lanky and/or has inflo's with only a small number of flowers. My personal choice is for the plumeria to have a dense shape with lots of large inflo's. Because of limited planting space some plants did not make the cut despite beautiful flowers. Below is my experience with a few plumeria. Please share your experiences.

India: lanky, small inflo
Moragne 23: lanky, small inflo
Waimea: moderate lanky, small inflo

Samirie: dense branching, medium inflo
Saigon Moon: dense branching, medium inflo
Aztec Gold: dense branching, medium inflo

California Sunset: very dense branching, large inflo
Jeannie Moragne: moderate dense branching, large inflo
Engelwood: moderate branching, large round inflo
Lani: dense braching, large inflo
Celadine: dense, large inflo

Comments (6)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I grow them only in pots because of my cold climate. And I think that plumerias become even lankier in pots -- perhaps due the lack of available strong sun year-round (here in the north). So they tend to stretch a bit -- AND since the blooming is not as good as when they're in the ground, that adds to the lengthening of branches before the inflo develops. So I am looking for compact cultivars even more than you!!

In terms of compactness (of the ones I'm growing) the best seem to be:
    Divine
    Penang Peach (you'd probably be good with any of the Penang Peach offspring)

Next semi-compact would be:
    Kimo
    Lei Rainbow
    Psycho (white)

Lanky ones for me:
    Jeannie Moragne, Lani, Cal Sally, Pu'u Kahea, Hilo Beauty, Aztec Gold, Cookstown Sunset, Royal Hawaiian, Miami Rose

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 9:15

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I agree Dave, they do tend to become lankier in pots and also if they don't get enough sun. I also think it helps to start with a nicely shaped tree/cutting, with a short trunk with more several low branches.

Obviously some trees just want to be big and lanky and there really isn't much you can do about it.

Unfortunately it seems most of the ones with large blooms are not compact growers.

I think a lot also depends on if they are early, good bloomers. Obviously a rooted cutting that won't bloom quickly is still going to grow. Then by the time it does bloom and branch it's already taller and lankier than we like so the only option is to cut it off and re-root the top and some are not easy to root. This year I have paid more attention to tree shape when I buy a rooted cutting and passed on the lanky. I went and looked at them and picked them out except for JJ's and even then I was very specific what I wanted and John sent me very nice looking trees. I also picked up a few of JJ's at Lowes and went strictly for the ones with beautiful shapes. Divines, Grace, Thai Jade, all very healthy, perfect leaves, perfect shapes and inflos on almost every tip.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Penang Peach is the best bang for buck IMO. Since you have a CA sunset which to me is Penang Peach like... I would look for a Dwarf Singapore Pink. I get seven months or more of blooms out of a plant occupying six square feet of sunlight.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Penang Peach is my favorite too.

If I had to limit to only one (God forbid!), that would be it.

I'm making some backup plants just in case. It's an early bloomer for me which contributes to the compactness, as Powerpuff mentions.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, this kind of information is so helpful for all of us who grow in pots. You're right: we fall in love with the flower photos, but if we rarely see flowers while having to lug skinny 7' trees indoors every year the hobby loses its appeal!

I'm willing to put up with a few tall trees, like Jeannie M., because their flowers are so large and spectacular, but for the most part I'm with Dave on tree size.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I'm with you guys.. I have to grow in containers too!!!

Elsie is a great compact for me.. Divine too. But , since California sunset and Desert Sunrise always perform for me... They are my favorites. Wait!!!
    ETLD seems to be compact for me and great bloomer too!!! all of the above mention trees have large blooms. Dense branching as well.

The largest bloom I have ever seen is the California Sally!! AKA ( The Beast). Lol. I measured her blooms at 4 inches.. So even tall, she is a keeper!!!

Great info..

Thanks for the great thread!!!

Laura

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area