Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haku_gw

Suggestions on starting a new plant

haku
17 years ago

Aloha!

I am not sure what is the right thing to do when starting a new Plumeria tree from the cuttings off the tree.

I have seen it do well by putting it in water for a few days then transfer to a pot with soil and grow. I've also now read that you are supposed to cut it and let it sit for a few days then put it in pot or ground. Little confused on what is the best way.

I would like to just start it in the pot at first, but not sure what is the right way since this is my first time doing it myself.

Thank you so much for helping and I await to hear suggestions.

Haku

Comments (5)

• shiollie
    17 years ago

This site should help quite a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria 101

• mikeod
    17 years ago

Haku,
    I would not put it in water for a few days. In Hawaii, all you should need to do is put it in a dark place for a few days to let the cut end callous over, then plant it in fast draining soil either in a pot or in the ground, water it well once, then wait for the leaves to appear. When it has 4-5 true leaves, it is OK to begin fertilizing with half strength dose. The plant should take off. You have the perfect climate for plumeria there, as I expect you already know.
    Mike

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

Agree with Mike as usual. When I plant in a one gallon black plastic pot, I put enough pumice or gravel in the bottom to cover the holes. Then I put a plastic water bottle in the middle and fill my soil mix (one third each: cactus mix, pumice and perlite) around the water bottle filling the pot. I then water and while the water is soaking in, I twist out the water bottle leaving a nice hole down the center of the pot. I then put two hand fulls of perlite into the hole, dip the cutting in rooting hormone and carefully place it onto the perlite. Now I fill the rest with pumice rock which holds the cutting in place, If it is a large cutting, I stake it or put chunks of styrofoam between the pot edge and the cutting on both sides to hold it in place. I water once with B-1 and a drop of superthrive. I place it in warm filtered sun spot for a few days working it out onto the concrete in full sun after a week (longer if red or pink)
    Do not water until leaves are about 6=8 inches. watch base for rot (mushy) which if it shows, recut and start again. I started 157 cuttings this year and restarted 6. So far, no losses. This is the best system I have found so far but I am always experimenting. Good luck
    {{gwi:1181648}}
    {{gwi:1181649}}
    {{gwi:1181650}}

• mystwitch
    17 years ago

That is a great way to start them tdog, thanks for the pics.

I have used toilet paper tubes to do somewhat the same before but not watered around them (that wouldn't work!) I will try your way. I also hope to get some rooting tubes at the Plumeria Convention next weekend.

Karen

• haku
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aloha Friends,

Okay I've cut the end nice and clean and cut the tip of my plumeria cutting, I have it in a cool, dry place waiting for next week Saturday to roll around, To plant it in it's pot. I had another question before that day comes...

I wanted to know would it be okay to use potting soil, beach sand and perlite I have that on hand? (I just dig that idea with the water bottle!)

The Non-Watering until it has leaves,is a little freaky to me sorry lol. But I'm the Newbie here, save on my water bill anyhow lol.

I'm so excited to start, Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Mahalo, Haku