Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormys_mom

Oahu. need info on where to buy

stormys_mom
11 years ago

My friends neice is going to Oahu for work. Lucky girl! She's been there before and was mentioning a flea mkt at a stadium or something to that effect. Can anyone tell me places to go. She is willing to bring me back some plants or cuttings. Thanks

Jackie

Comments (10)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have never been to Hawaii, but I think Dole Plantation, is in central Oahu. K said they have a small tent or building on the side, that sells plumeria cuttings. Barbra

• cessna_175
    11 years ago

There is a big flea market at the Aloha stadium (not sure of which days they are open or if plumeria are sold). It is near the USS Arizona.
    -Bill

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

There is the Aloha stadium Swap Meet which is on certain days of the week and then Dole Pineapple Plantation has a Kiosk on the grounds which sells rebranded JL named varieties. I have plants from both locations.

The swap meet website has some info on which vendors sell plants but it takes a bit of effort to figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap meet website

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Hunny, Bill and K. I went to the link you posted. Couldnt figure out how to see the vendors. I only saw maybe 5. Maybe when I have time tonight, I will google it.

Jackie

• alecp
    11 years ago

It's hard NOT to find Plumeria cuttings for sale on Oahu - almost any gift shop (which are all over - hard to avoid even if you wanted to) - will have them. All my plumeria's have been purchased from various sources there. If you're looking for a specific variety you might have trouble, but I've been happy with every one I've bought.

• tommyc
    11 years ago

Just don't buy the ones in the tourist shops. They are everywhere. My choice, of course is not what most people want to hear. Plumi's are everywhere... growing wild too. Cuttings are the best to get. As long as there is no Soil in the bag you won't have problems with the Ag inspectors at the airport. If you see someone outside and like their trees, ask them for a cutting. Plumi's are sometimes referred to as weed out there. I know... I'm from Hawaii Kai. Now, Inside KOKO Head Crater near Haunauma Bay is the biggest Plumeria Garden on the Island. It would be a great day of Hiking in the around that whole area on the Southeast shore. Haunauma Bay, Sandy Beach, Koko Head Crater, Blowhole, The little Cove beneath Blowhole where Burt Lancaster Tumbled on the beach there with Deborah Kerr in From Here To Eternity, and of course Its where Nicki Minaj filmed her Starships Video (I'm sure the Niece would love to get some shots like in the Video). Its a wonderful place to visit for a day.

Click on the link, then on the right the slideshow to see some pics. The From here to eternity is in the Hawaii My Home set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Sea PhotoStream

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful Tommy!!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

Jackie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

At the swap meet for sure. Don`t buy the line you need an inspection, no dirt, no inspection needed. I lived in Makiki Heights & worked at Queens Medical Center. Have fun!
    Tally Ho!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Technically there is more to it than that. The USDA/APHIS regulation is available online if you are suffering from insomnia.

Many of the swap meet vendors also sell online so they have the certificates to ship to the mainland.

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K do you have any info on these vendors? I would like to see what they have before I give her a list. She isnt familiar with plumeria. I did figure out how to see the layout and where they are suppose to be at the flea market, but that was it, I think one vendor had their name listed. Most just said plants and flowers.

Jackie