Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

scott pratt? probably not :(

Last summer while in Tampa I visited Allen at Exotic Plumeria. Nice guy but a bit strange. anyways I told him I wanted a Celadine, Puu Kahea and Scott pratt. Off he went to get them. So during the rooting I lost the Puu to root but Scott and Celadine did great. I was excited when I noticed the Scott Pratt was crowning only to be disappointed when the buds came out white/yellow and not red like what I have seen in photos. Maybe he mis-labled and this one is the Celadine and the other that rooted is Scott. At least I hope it is Scott and not Puu that I thought I had lost. I was generously gifted a replacement Puu and that would leave me without a true red :(. Hope he didn't give me the wrong one.
If only the other would flower then I could solve this mystery,

edit- I do have another red i got from a friend so at least i will have a red if these turn out to both be wrong.
Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 17:35

Comments (27)

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

The leaves on my Scott Pratt are very dark, almost maroon in color. What color are your leaves on the other cutting?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are about the same, maybe a bit darker green. I have seen photos of Scott pratt with normal green leaves.

mike

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Mike,
    the unopened flower buds of Scott Pratt are very dark red-purple. And the leaves are much darker than that. That is not Scott Pratt.

George

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

This is what a scott pratt looks like, leaves are much darker.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Awww man, sorry to hear that Mike. Any sign of the double leaf margin on the possible Celadine?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the confirmations.

Emily not sure what you mean. If the other one he labeled as Celadine is not the scott pratt or even possibly the Puu Kahea i paid for, I may just drive back to Tampa and give Allen a piece of my mind, LOL

I paid almost $30 a piece for them and that was in person.

Mike

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh no Mike! I'm so sorry to hear that! Let's hope if he did mis-labeled he will give you the correct one. $30 for a cutting is not cheap! :(

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Mike, look at the leaves and on a Celadine it will have a double leaf margin instead of a single like all other plumies. Check this thread out for a good picture posted by Peg. That way you can tell before it blooms just by checking the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celadine Double Margin Pics

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh Ok I see now. thanks Emily. Ill check this one and the other when I get home tonight.

mike

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Sooooo sorry to hear about your plumie.
    Oh, figures when I saw where you got it from. I refuse to buy from them as I had issues early on in 2001 with them and had to return junk they sent me and then report them to my Amex as they kept saying they would credit me and wouldnt. Never screw with Amex, they always get the last word if your a merchant or customer of theirs.

I got my Scott Pratt from MPG and it was beautiful, fully rooted and took off right away.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks

if I end up having to replace it i will for sure look to one of our reputable vendors.

I tell you what with all the mis labeling going around Im nervous to buy one that isnt already flowering

EP is way over priced and I would laugh my butt off if this one turns out to be one of Alan's $100 cuttings.

mike

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike,
    HA...unfortunately with EP the motto is "Pay More, Get Less".
    I would die laughing though if you were the 1 and only customer that got something totally expensive and rare from Allen, but you never know... Ill keep my toes and fingers crossed for ya.
    Cheers

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK just got home. the other one does have the double margin so I'm sure its correctly labeled Celadine. And I'm sure the one in question is not Puu and for sure not Scott. So now can anyone narrow it down based on the pink leaf petioles? I'll post a pic of the open flower when that happens.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I need to share this for anyone reading. I email Alan and told him about the issue.

He just emailed back and said he would send a rooted Scott Pratt to replace it.

Top notch response and service if you ask me.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, glad EP's taking care of the issue for you.

Here's a photo of my one Pu'u Kahea inflo. Could still be what you have:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen. I thought maybe that would be the case also but the buds are getting bigger and more white and not turning pink like yours.

I looked at all the whites he offers and Really I think this one could be King Kalakaua based on the pictures that show immature buds. KK seems to have a bit of pink at the base where the flower bud connects. It will probably open while Im in Houston next week.

mike

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Very cool Mike! I'm glad EP responded accordingly.

I'm also looking for some red plumies so I might consider EP for a Scott Pratt. Still, can't wait to see what your other one will turn out as. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah he earned my respect. More so when it shows up. i just wish his pricing was more in line with the market. $30 for a common cutting plus shipping is a bit steep.

Original Author
    10 years ago

well here is the albino scott pratt, LOL. It 'looks" like King K or his Grapex white but it doesnt smell like either is described. It does have a fairly strong citrusy/perfumy scent which I kind of like, however there is not much space for another NOID white. Sad news is the other red I was rooting has decided to rot. Its not big enough to try again :(. so no reds right now. hopefully there will be a package from Alan soon.

mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I think for the Puu Kahea, your flower needs to open up all the way before you can pass judgement.

Even then, my Puu Kahea just does not exhibit the full color spectrum every year. Maybe this is one that just does better in cooler weather?? Don't know, but mine has been somewhat of a disappointment. It has been a shy bloomer and gets very gangly...for me at least.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Alan kept his word. He sent a nice 3 tip rooted Scott pratt. I couldn't be more pleased.

Mike

• pcput
    10 years ago

Nice looking plant Mike. Nice to see some still have customer service. Hope this one is right ;)
    Peg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well Scott pratt is doing well. Nice dark leaves so Im sure its right.

Also my Celadine finally bloomed. while it has double margins on the leaves and looks like celadine, the scent is not what I was expecting. I guess I do get a hint of some citrus tones but more perfumey to me. Also I assumed it was stronger. Maybe it will change. that is one of my seedlings behind it. I was hoping for some of Emily's luck and get some 1st year blooms but it didnt happen :(

Bonus photo. Good Ole Delightful pumping out the flowers. This girl has yet to let me down.

Mike

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Love the delightful!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, the seedling looks promising, Mike! Your Celadine should get stronger in scent as it gets more established. I'm very glad Allen took care of you with Scott Pratt.

Delightful is delightful!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Texasplum, thanks. it is one of my favorites.

Hey Jen. I kinda figure that. I smelled it today and noticed a bit more citrus to it.
    How is your delightful. Did you let it bloom?
    Not to change the topic but check out this brug you sent. Keep in mind about a month ago we had a crazy wind storm that snapped it in half making it about 2 feet tall. It is almost 5 feet now with 3 upward branches.
    Oh and i see a little bloom too!!!

bloom right below the Y, sweet! just noticed in the pic one above the Y.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, I think you've found your sweet spot: You are the Brug Master!

So that's where my flowers went, off to grow in OK! LOL! I'm so happy she's doing well for you, and I see two buds actually. Mine are having a very bad year with insects despite my spraying spinosad pretty thoroughly. Maybe I'll send them all up to you to grow up :)

I was warned while we were in Hawaii about how toxic brugmansia leaves are, so be sure your kids and dogs don't try nibbling them.

And thanks for the update!