Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Anyone buy from this website?

krismast
10 years ago

I found this place online and I wondered if anyone has bought from them before. I was interested in buying the hilo beauty cutting from them.

Kristopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

Comments (11)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Not me. I have used Brad's Buds and Blooms, and Florida Colors. Very pleased with both.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

not me, I got my Hilo Beauty from Derrick last year. It has taken off.
    Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Piece of paradise

• Quaching
    10 years ago

I have used "Florida Colors Nursery" and "A Piece of Paradise Plumeria's" (Derrick). It would be hard for me not to use Derrick from now on. He is very inexpensive and the quality of the cuttings are amazing and he is one of the nicest people I have done business with in a long time. I ordered the Hilo Beauty and the Rare Hilo Beauty from Derrick and they are both doing really well. You can probably get 4 or 5 plumeria cuttings from Derrick for the same cost of buying one Hilo Beauty from another vendor.

• intotheblueFL
    10 years ago

Another vote for Brad's in FL. We actually live only a few miles from them and have visited before. Brad & Brian are two of the nicest guys on the planet and we spent almost an hour there talking story and oo'ing and awe'ing over their collection.

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately brads does not sell Hilo beauty.

I'm hesitant to buy any cuttings from Derrick now that I have been hearing complaints that what he sells are not the true PSA registered cultivars.
    beachplant and Quaching, have your hilo beautys from Derrick bloomed yet? I know what he sells as rare hilo beauty is closer to what I want but I'm still not sure if its the right one.

Florida colors will probably be my last option, mostly because of price and I don't necessarily need a grafted plant. I want to try rooting a cutting.

Kristopher

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Kristopher, in the case of Hilo Beauty, I would recommend the grafted option. Grafts are not my favorite, but in some cases, like with tricky dark colors, grafting can give you a healthier plant overall. You also skip the waiting time for rooting and get an instant big root system. FC would be my first stop, and you can always ask for rooted instead. They have many rooted that are not listed on their site.

If you want to try rooting, though, Maui Plumeria Gardens has thick healthy cuttings of Kimi Beauty, a nice alternative for the dark black-red color. I don't know if KB is more hardy than HB, but I know even old-timers like Emerson Willis have some trouble with HB. This is why I opted for KB, figuring it can't be any worse than Hilo.

Just my 2 cents!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Kristopher,

MPG had Hilo Beauty last year but I don't think they're offering any this year.

Have you tried contacting Matt (1-stop-aloha) on eBay? He listed rooted Hilo Beauty a few weeks ago. Maybe he'll be able to get you one.

Kenny

• Quaching
    10 years ago

My hilo's have not bloomed yet. I just purchased them about 2 months ago as cutting but they both have a lot of leaves already shooting out. Each one has about 6 leaves that are about 7 inches long and have dark red veins. Hopefully both will bloom this year.

Your right about Florida Colors, they are expensive but these are the only two places that I have ordered from and Derrick was the least expensive and even threw in a few extras for free...can't beat that.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Quaching, my only reservation about Derrick is the multiple complaints I've read, here and elsewhere, about mislabeled varieties. I don't know if this stems from a lax attitude about identifying them or what, but if you're wanting something particular he's not where I'd go.

BUT, if all you want is healthy cuttings and they don't have to be anything in particular, he sounds like a good source.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I got my Hilo Beauty Cutting from Kara G. at JIm Little in April and its leafed out and looks good. It was a nice fresh cutting. Do not see roots just yet...

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I bought both from Derrick, neither has bloomed. I`m a bit ambivalent on the name thing. For one thing plumeria blooms vary so much depending on heat, water, sun, soil, time of year, age of the plant and their mood that my Hilo Beauty is going to have different flowers from yours anyway.
    Slaughter Pink was a huge tree in the front yard. Sometimes the blooms would be a deep, deep almost glow in the dark pink, a month later the blooms would be pale pink with a yellow center. 2 cuttings, taken from the same part of the tree, grown in pots on the back deck would bloom at the same time and the blooms look nothing alike. All were lost in Ike. Other times all 3 would be in full bloom and look just like the pictures of Slaughter Pink.
    I`m probably just going to lose the tags next time we are in a panic and pulling stuff in left and right while boarding up the house for yet another hurricane. Like I said, I`ve learned to enjoy chaos.
    Tally HO!