Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

yellow things on leaves and branches not growing

sbrow156
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I have been quite quiet on here recently but have still been lurking..anyway i have noticed some yellow dotty things on the bottom of my plumeria leaves. they are not on all the leaves, nor all my plants, just a couple. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

Comments (9)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

also another one of my plants i pruned, and each branch started putting out 2 branches but one on each branch has stopped growing while the other has continued...will these branches start growing again? ive circled them here

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

on one of my other plants i recently rooted ( that has done really well ) it is now growing an inflo! this will be my first plant to bloom!! i am pretty excited. It is a sunset pink or pink of some sort..

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Sarah,

Nice to see you posting again! The yellow/orange dots under your leaves are rust. You can trim the affected leaves off so they won't spread to the other leaves.

About your branching, I don't think the little ones will grow anymore. I have several plumies with similar branching. Usually the small ones will stay like that.

You got an inflo! How exciting! Hope it blooms soon!

Kenny

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rust? That's wierd how did rust get on the leaves? Well just as long as its not health threatening for the plant? But yes I did cut the leaves off not knowing what it was I didn't want to risk it.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Rust is a term for a type of fungus or something that grows on the leaves of plants. My rose bushes suffer from it occasionally :(. It's not rust as in from metal.
    Removing the leaves will help... Do a google search for more remedies.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Our Resident Aussie is back. I think the rust is predicated by high humidity and moisture. Not much else to do but treat and observe as posted above.

Sometimes that kind of branching happens. Maybe insects caused some damage to seal over and then the plant has to push out a new branch from a leaf node and sometimes the plant can only support one of the forming branches.

Perhaps you have had a wet winter and the roots are a bit stressed?

Great to see you have some blooms on the way. You can help us with our winter blues by posting your summer pictures.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HI Sarah!!!

Nice to see you!!!!

Congratulations on your first inflo!!! Whoo hoo!, That is awesome!!!

Yes... Rust!!! We also get that nasty rust in my garden , usually in the fall. Like K mentioned.. Usually has to do with moisture and humidity levels. I separate the ones with rust and will cut the leaves off like you did. Treat it with a spray that works on rust. it will say it on the bottle. i use Bayer 3 in1 it works on rust. Dont spray in the sun. i spray in the late evening and when it will be overcast... FYI.. If you choose to use something else.. Maybe give the neem oil a try.

The nubs look like they will still produce branching.. Maybe not this year, but I wouldn't say never.. I have had some like that and they finally branched.

So nice to see you post!!!

Take care,

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Rust, I just ignore it. By the end of summer not only will most of the plumeria have it but so will some other plants. It doesn`t appear to affect them in any way. It`s a rite of summer.

Congrats on the inflo!
    Tally HO!

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well that's good then that they don't really effect the plant. Yes the last couple of weeks have been pretty wet and humid. Perhaps when it fines up again it will stop spreading. I will get something to spray on it maybe. See what's around anyway :) but yeh will post pictures when my flowers start blooming :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!