Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

A few late July pics

Here are a few pics. First of my Lani! Humidity was up there, so my lens kept fogging over! Scent is not as strong as I remember. It's a faint rose scent.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:55

Comments (13)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Penang Peach in warm temps. Seven inflos on this plant. Mild fragrance of peaches and baby powder. Nice fairly compact plant, early bloomer. Not quite as easy to root as some others, but with a big beefy cutting, it should root OK.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:57

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Kimo. Can you tell by the coloration we've been having warm weather? Nice fruity fragrance. Colors do fade fairly fast after opening to a more light pastel pink/peach.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:58

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Wow Dave. Those are great! Good job!

Mike

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Those are some GORGEOUS blooms you got there Dave, the heat is really agreeing with them!!! All three of them are just popping!

7 inflos on Penang?! Nice!! Sounds like you'll have a steady stream of flowers! Keep it up!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Wow 7 inflos! That is something to look forward to for the next couple of months! My PP is still a small 3-tip 11-inch stick, I'm envious :)

Kenny

• cointx
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Congratulations.

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Nice pictures, Dave. Your Kimo is very large and healthy looking. Your kid must be getting big by now too. Have a good summer. Bill

• nativec
    10 years ago

Wow! Your colors are popping:). So gorgeous! I'm imagining the scent! Yum!

Thank you for sharing your beauties.

Nicole

• pcput
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post your gorgeous blooms. Nice to see we can do it in VA. The weather has been so crazy this year but yours prove it's doing something right. "Congrats"
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Dave!!!

Gorgeous!!!

Love the Lani!!

Really.. all of them are just beautiful..

My lens is fogging too! LOL.. I have to bring out the camera to acclimate it to the outside heat and humidity before I take pics.. It is crazy with our temps.

The change in colors on my California Sunset and Desert Sunrise is unbelievable in just 5 days due to the heat.

I will post tomorrow... Love the pics..

How have your temps been? I was working in the north east and we had 115* temps in Philly on the ramp. ARGGGHHH!!!

Other cities.. 100* We had highs in the 90's here in VB.

The blooms really have changed since.. it is amazing..

They all look wonderful!!

Hope all is well with the family!!!

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike: thanks! I'm enjoying them from the kitchen window. Too hot to go outside!

elucas101: Penang performs for me every year.

Kenny: Give your penang another year and it will do great for you! You'll be glad you have one.

cointx: We're not zone 9, but we do what we can!

Bill: Great to hear from you! Yes, little K is 4 and a half now! She's planting seeds in all my plumeria pots!

Nicole: The scents are not overwhelming this year. Penang is probably the best, but still you have to get very close up.

Peg: Hi, how are you! Our weather has been pretty good. A fair amount of rain -- although we could use some more after this heat wave. I wouldn't mind an inch a week!

Laura; How are you? Hope your AC is on in those planes sitting on the tarmac. Yes, I have only a few minutes to go out and get shots, so it's hard to wait for camera to warm up and clear up. Jeannie Moragne has been disappointing. Don't know why buds are falling off. Inflos developing on Hilo Beauty, no-ID red, Psycho, Lei Rainbow. Waimea is putting out some big leaves now. Divine has so many tips that when it does decide to start blooming again, it's gonna put on a show. I think I'll try to keep it more dormant this winter. It wanted to bloom in winter and now is just putting out leaves.

No inflos yet on 'Valentino', but it's beefing up. Maybe next year!

Newly rooted cuttings from Derrick, Pink Pansy and Maui Rainbow (whatever that is), are putting on leaves. Maui has an inflo and I didn't cut it off. Should bloom within the week. Really beefy cuttings rooting in summer do not all need their inflos cut off! Anxious to see what it's going to look like.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 10:14

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, lovely shots, Dave! With colors like that, who needs scent? There's nothing better than looking out the window and seeing all those full inflos popping in the garden! Now you just need your red and a white to pop open and fill out the color spectrum for you.

Your little one's already learning how to underplant, lol! Mine is only a little older than yours, and has already commandeered many good specimens for himself. Mixing soil and sprinkling fertilizer are his favorite jobs.

Original Author
    10 years ago

jandey,

Yes, whenever I go out to water, she wants to go too, but soon wilts from the heat and bugs! (bad skeeters this year).

Regarding fragrance, I do keep the more fragrant ones on the deck and less fragrant way in the back borders.