Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerof66

Has anybody tried to make plumeria perfume?

summerof66
11 years ago

My lack of blooms this year has made me long for the fragrance of plumerias. I've spent the last few days scouring the internet for a nice plumeria scented perfume that I could enjoy until the day my plumies decide to bloom again. Of course, I want something that's naturally derived and not chemically processed. I wanna smell the real deal, y'all!

I found a product called Monoi oil where they use a process called enfleurage to extract the fragrance of flowers into coconut oil. Well, heck! I can do that! I already have coconut oil and a glass dish with a lid. The only thing I'm missing right now is plumeria flowers-lol. Has anyone ever tried this (or any other way) to create perfume from their blossoms? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'm thinking that when my tuberoses bloom I'm gonna give enfleurage a try, anybody got any comments, suggestions or tips?

Thanks,

Shelley

Comments (9)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I have not but found this online as to how they extract essences from flowers. Sounds a bit complicated, and you would need a ton of flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Essential oils extraction

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I couldn't hope to do anything THAT elaborate-lol.
    I had something more like the following link in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enfleurage

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I have read that Plumeria is one of the hardest scents to replicate, thus the lack of decent sprays, perfumes, etc. It's a complex scent. I think your only true hope of replicating an authentic smell would be with real flowers, but I don't know how one might go about doing that and preserving it as well. Good luck and please keep us posted!

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since I don't have any plumeria blooms this year I decided to practice the technique with honeysuckle blossoms in coconut oil. I started a small jar last night. I'll switch out the blossoms every 48 hours or so for a couple of weeks and see what I end up with. I'll also give it a try with tuberose blossoms when my tuberose starts to bloom. Hopefully this will help me perfect the technique so that when I eventually get plumeria blossoms I'll know what I'm doing and be able to capture the fragrance. We'll see!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

making perfume is a very complicated and lengthy ordeal. Which is why you don't find recipes to make it at home.
    Good luck with this but I just don't know how you will get the fragrance concentrated enough to be able to smell it.
    Tally HO!

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

As a very long time plumeria fan, I have tested almost all the commercial perfumes called plumeria. Not one remotely smelled like a good old Celadine. If the pros can't copy it, I think it is not something us regular people can do. If anyone has found one that is good please post. Good luck.

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

P. alba aka Nosegay Tree 20' to 25' tall, 20' to 25' in spread, seedlings come true to parent, white. 2" White on a medium short tree with narrow pointed leaves. A true species from the Virgin Islands. Large shrub, elongated leaves, large white, highly perfumed. A beautiful landscaping shrub. Grown commercially for frangipani essential oil, perfumes etc. Citrus fragrance. Pure white with a deep yellow center. 3-4" Star shaped flowers. Very cold damaged this past winter. The most damaged of the species or sub species was that "Koko Monster" from the Koko Crater Botanical Garden in Honolulu.
    It is a pure species from The Island of St Croix in the Caribbeans. Long thin strap like foliage with large white highly perfumed flowers. A large shrub. Disease resistant.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

I have not yet found a plumeria perfume but i do have a plumeria scented candle :D My mum and I both adore the smell. It fills the whole house while on ....Its quite lovely :)