Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your experience with LARGE cuttings

Posted by MrFrangi Perth, Australia (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 9:02

Riding home from work the other day I saw these drooping Frangipani leaves out of the corner of my eyes, something I haven't seen before. They are usually very green and glossy, sometimes with sunburn or other small imperfections but never drooping. So I had to stop and have a closer look, aha snapped clean off near the base. Knocked on the door and some guy opened up who said that he is only house-sitting and to come back at the weekend, which I did. The owner told me that during some recent wild weather the tree just split. It started off as a cutting with 3 tips, branching out near the base. The storm snapped 2 branches off, one was completely undamaged. He told me that I can have one if I wanted. Ok, yes please was the answer. He even offered to transport it in his 4x4. I didn't have to go far so I just walked it home, you should have seen the looks from passer-byes! Anyway my plan is to leave it out during winter then plant it straight into the ground come spring. It's roughly 12ft long!!! Have you ever tried something like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your experience with LARGE cuttings

That is a large cutting. LOL!

If you have mild temps and very well draining soil, you could probably just stick the thing in the soil in your 'Spring', or you could try to root it in a pot over your Winter, keeping it mostly dry and warm. If you want the long trunk, leave it, or if you want a shorter 'tree', cut the trunk back a bit. Do you know what color it is?

Hopefully someone from your region will give better advice!

o

OOOHH MMYYY!

That is one HUGE cutting! LOL.. I thought i had a set of "Antlers" LOL.. This is one for the books!

Congratulations on this set!! I bet you were grinning ear to ear as you were walking home. Those people who were looking had no idea at what a treasure you had on your shoulder!!!

Please let us know how you decide to root this huge cutting. I agree with Dave that it might be easier to shorten the main stem just a little. It just may make it more stable once it roots and can establish itself in the ground. I would also stake it once you root it and plant it where you want it. Wouldn't want another storm to take this beauty down..

Bill has had the largest set of "antlers" rooting in his yard. Maybe he will see this post and give you some advise!!

Great find!!

Congratulations!!!

Laura

o

That is the absolute perfect looking INSTANT tree. I would root it in the ground or a BIG pot.

Great find and happy rooting.

Kasie

o

LOL!! How fantastic!! I don't know about you but I am grinning ear to ear! The image of you carrying that cutting home (if you can even call it a cutting) is beyond comical. Only such a Plumie addict would do that.

Congrats on such a great find. I can't wait to hear what you will do with it. :)

o

Mr. Frangi, I see you're fitting right in here already, lol. A plumie lover after my own heart. Can't let a good instant tree go to waste, can we?

I believe it is possible to root a huge cutting like that as is but it will probably be easier if you take the trunk down at least a foot and a half or so, like Dave and Laura suggested for stability. Good luck and keep us posted!

Jen

o

Hi MrFrangi, Wow what a find ! I would take a few cuttings off of it to also root just in case the tree doesn't. That way you'd have a chance at saving something. Good luck and as others have said keep us posted. Peg

o

MF,
Ive rooted a 6 ft cutting before. The larger the cutting the more likely it will root and faster/easier. If I were you Id get a large pot like a 10gal or larger and pot it up during winter. Since you found it close to your house your temps most not get that cold in winter, so again Id pot it up and it should be rooted by spring. If it were spring/summer id just dig a hole in the ground to root.

On my larger cuttings I sometimes tie it like you did to the wrought Iron fence for stability to avoid having it topple over and breaking branches.

Cheers

o

I have done a number of large cuttings. I take a plastic juice bottle and poke holes in the bottom. I put in soil for a few inches, then the cutting and fill the bottle with soil. I WATER it with superthrive or B1 and water once and tie it to a post like you did. When I can see roots around the inside of the bottle, I cut off the bottom of the bottle with a razor knife, then split opposite sides of the bottle, take out the root ball and plant. I stake up the plant with a piece of conduit painted green and pounded into the ground. I have a 2 meter cutting now that I am about to transplant to a rowing center within a week. The nice thing about the plastic bottle is you can see when there is enough roots to transplant.Here is one I started in a 1.5L water bottle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

wow, that's really neat, a 12foot tall "cutting"

please keep us updated

o

It is very possible to root any size cutting. I would assume this to be a very big log or stump cutting. This is the first rooting.
Jackie\'s King Kong

Then it was relocated to a permanent home. It suffered quiet a bit of damage in 2007. But it has bounced back. This is an old photo.
King Kong
Happy Rooting.
Kasie

o

Hi Everyone,

I just love seeing all of the pics of the huge cuttings..

MF... We can't wait to hear how this will turn out for you!! Good Luck and im sure you will have great success!!!

Bill, that is some Rack that you have!!! Those are huge!!

Kasie... I love seeing that huge tree in your pics.. The shape of it then looked great and i would imagine it has grown to be a beautiful tree.

Hi James.. I am sure you have some beauties of large cutting too! Love to see your pics. Hope you are feeling better. Have fun in Ibiza!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Does that count as a cutting? LOL that thing is HUGE! I can't wait to see how that turns out! Nice score Mr. F! Good luck!

Rachel

o

What a sight it must have been to see you walking your cutting, ahem insta-tree home....LOL. That would have been one for the newspapers! What a find, and such a generous "neighbor". Please keep us posted!

You have a gem:)

Nicole

o

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I was set on just planting it straight into the ground come spring but after seeing tdogdad's post I decided to try his suggestion.
The soil mix I used is 1 part potting mix, 1 part perlite. The diamater of the tree is over 10cm/4in I might need a clear bucket instead, or do you think the bottle is big enough? Thank you kasie for your post. I also have a stump cutting (not as big) and was wondering if I could plant it. Well now I know, I have planted it using the same method as above. Fingers crossed.

o

You might want a bucket... Unless, you want to move it into a more permanent pot as soon as you see the first indication of roots forming. In that case, your current bottle might suffice actually. In that case I think you'll need to keep a close eye on it.

Here is a small cutting (5 tips) after a couple of weeks:

Even thought the cutting is only halfway down in the bottle you can see how fast the roots began filling the bottle. I can only imagine what your mega cutting will do.

That thing is fantastic, BTW... a perfect tree as-is. I do hope you'll keep us updated... can't wait to see it all leafed out and blooming.

o

Good job!
After hurricane Ike I picked up a couple of truck loads of HUGE plumeria cuttings, I just stuck them in pots of soil around the yard. So busy trying to clean up and deal with insurance. Stuck them on the side and forgot about them. 95% rooted!
The smaller ones I swapped all over the country and the bigger ones went to local plant swaps and our community garden plant sale.
Tally HO!

o

I thought I update on the progress of the "cutting".
It showed leave growth back in Sept but then growth slowed right down. It started to push up inflos and has been flowering for the last few month.
The strange thing is that the leaves are still not completely formed.
Looks like it's all working out but what would cause the slow leave growth?

o

I've had cuttings that pushed an inflo and bloomed before the leaves started to grow. Perhaps it's just the variety or even just that particular plant. That one's looking great.

o

I've had cuttings that pushed an inflo and bloomed before the leaves started to grow. Perhaps it's just the variety or even just that particular plant. That one's looking great.

o

• Posted by irun5k St Pete, FL (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 22:21

MrFrangi, is it now in pot/ground/other? I'm curious how the rooting went and what type of root structure it presently has.

Thanks for the update BTW- always nice to follow a good story :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here