Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Chiang Mai Rainbow (Thai Plumeria)

I'm starting to think not as many people on this forum are as interested in Thai plumerias as I am. Laugh.

So my latest purchase is Chiang Mai Rainbow from Brad's since it's supposed to have a strong fragrance. I've read scent descriptions ranging from fresh/rose to spices and lemon and Lychi fruit and my fav is 'The fragrance is very strange from any other Plumeria and I really don't know what she smells like only Sandalwood comes to mind'. Yum!

Has anyone grown this variety? Your thoughts on its scent? I've also read she's slow to bloom which would be a bummer. Is this true? Is she a fairly compact grower?

I haven't been able to find much info online about it.

As always any info would be helpful.

Thank you,

Robert

Comments (54)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Well we're moving next month while we wait for our house to be done and I have no place to store my plumies!! I might have to bring them back to JJ's until our house is done. :(

That means I cannot buy any more for a long time.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

There are many Thai cultivars that I did not realize were Thai. And then there's the name confusion, too. When you see the name "Elsie" you aren't thinking a plumeria from Thailand, at least I'm not. Is Thai Lurline the same as Lurline?

Robert - paint the house! :)

Seriously, No Clue, what -are- you going to do with your plants? How long will it be until your house is completed?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know...my addiction is out of control. Laugh.
    Peg was kind enough to share with me a wealth of compiled plumeria info which no doubt will make it even worse.

No-Clue,

That is distressing news! Maybe a neighbor or friend can house your collection until your new home is ready?

• Kimo
    11 years ago

I had a Chiang Mai rainbow and a Chiang Mai Girl Plumie. The Rainbow smelled lemon/spicy to me. I bought mine from Thailand in 2004. The flower did not perform well in my cooler coastal area of So Calif, was kind of white with golden eye. I gifted both of my Chiang Mai plumies away.
    Jungle Jack has Chiang Mai Rainbow but I believe its just labeled as a premium. I also think John had the Chiang Mai Girl but again not labeled as such.

Good Luck

• Kimo
    11 years ago

PS... Robert if your on MPG you may want to contact Becky Sue (her name and handle) I believe she has both and got them in 2006 or 2007 from JJ's and shes cleaning out her collection so she may have a cutting to gift or sell.

Cheers

Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome! Thank you, Freak4plumeria!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, we have the same taste in flowers. I've been looking at Chiang Mai Rainbow for the fragrance, too, and I think we have the heat here to bring out the splash in the center. Let us know how yours turns out!

Freak, you're smart to "audition" everything you might like to see if it's suited to your area. With the numbers I now have I think I'll be doing the same since I have no "patch" to keep them all in!

Jen

Original Author
    11 years ago

Will do, Jen!
    Glad I'm not the only fragrant nut on the Plumeria forum. ;)
    Yea, with all the heat that Oklahoma and Texas receives I'm sure the center will be positively glowing! Laugh.
    I was a little worried ordering it since I know the mail won't run tomorrow because of the 4th but everything that I've read here confirms that Plumerias are tough plants so I went for it!
    Should be getting Chiang Mai Rainbow on Thursday and Daeng Maha Choke on Friday.
    Course there's always Charlotte Ebert and Kimi Moragne to try later down the line. :)

-Robert

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Just came across your post while doing some research. I have had one Chiang Mai for about 2 years and still waiting for a first bloom. Mine is rather tall and on the slim side..definitely not in the compact family.

This also applies to my J-50.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience, plumygirl!
    2 years and no blooms yet. Wah! I really wanted a scent report. Laugh.
    I just recently potted it up into a larger pot in a gritty mix. It has two branches. It's not tall...yet!
    Let's hope both of ours bloom this year.
    I'd love to see pics if yours does. :)

-Robert

• powderpuff
    11 years ago

I love many of the Thai Plumies but I think many of them can be very fussy especially until they get larger. Most of the ones I lost this winter were Thai's, but most were still small, 2 year old rooted cuttings that were uprooted and moved in October. Some were already not doing great in the ground, they were small and not that robust when I received them, but some were doing well and still got rot in the cool garage. There certainly are some beauties but I'm staying away from ones known to be prone to problems.

Thai rainbow is beautiful! When I order I want to know the size, girth, tips and maturity of root system. I'm being really picky this year since I intend to pare my collection down to about 35-50.

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

No problem sharing! If your Chiang blooms don't forget to send me a first photo ;))

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Powderpuff, I don't blame you a bit especially when it comes to the Thai hybrids and even a few of the JL's. I really prefer the more robust Thai's. To me, at least, they tend to more attractive, more dependable in health and size and not divas!!

No problem with supplying you with the info. that you require. You experienced a high rate of loss that is heartbreaking under any circumstances. I think it was 4 yrs ago when this area had a horrible cold snap...first since the 80's I was told. Seventeen +/- of my parent trees went. We cut what we could, tags were lost so those cuttings had to be set aside until they bloomed so as to correctly I.D. I just wept.

I have some slender Thai's that I now wish I had not purchased but, such is life. I do have some of the ones you have lost and can also send you a photo of any plumeria you may be interested in along with the info.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pretty certain my Chiang Mai Rainbow is pushing an inflo! Woo hoo!

Plumygirl,

Any luck with yours?

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Robert. That is great!! Hopefully the fragrance is as advertised.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

If it blooms you should come over and sniff 'em.
    Same thing goes for Bangkok Fire aka Daeng Maha Choke and Inca Gold which also have inflos. :)

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I may have to do that. Of all mine the ones that are supposed to be the most scented are not performing well. Scentsational is showing no signs of blooming this year. I think Devine got a case of the thrips or ants. It pushed 2 inflos and barely has had one flower. My scott pratt is crowning and Im excited to see it. Its been a weird year weather wise around here. I think that is effecting everything.

Bangkok fire sounds like a great one!

Mike

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Did Chiang Mai Rainbow ever bloom? I would love to see photos of the blooms. Diana's list and others say it is an aka for Chompoo Paan, but some say it's not. Very curious as to who is right and it's hard to tell from those Thai pics because they enhance them or perhaps they just bloom with more color there.

This post was edited by powderpuff on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 20:16

Original Author
    10 years ago

Not yet, Powder!

Here's a pic taken today.

You know I'll post pics when it finally opens and I've sniffed them. Laugh.

-Robert

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

So that's what mine may do at some point. Can not wait until you have blooms Robert. I bet they will be breathtaking!!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Anxiously awaiting the opening of this one to see whether or not it is or is definitely not the same as Chompoo Paan

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys!
    I too am looking forward to finally sniffing this plumie! :)

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Still waiting.... I'm really anxious to see this one

This post was edited by powderpuff on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 11:39

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha!

I see you don't trust me! Laugh.
    Nope. Not open yet.
    Here's a pic from tonight.
    You know I'm gonna post when it happens, right? :)

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

LOL! I trust you, just want to make sure you don't forget. :P Looks like it's getting close.

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

And how long have you been waiting?? At this rate, I'll be dead and dust by the time this one decides to do something...anything!
    Seriously, hope it turns out to be a real beauty for you!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost there, Powder!

Hopefully they'll be fully open tomorrow and yes, I'll post pics. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

It rained last night and this morning and it's been overcast thus far but Chiang Mai is still starting to open.
    It's gorgeous though I know with sun and heat the orange center will start to show.
    Not much scent so far but I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just F.Y.I. I went out and looked at the bloom again and the colors are not as rich as in the photo above (in real life they look more washed out).
    Damn my partner's sneaky camera phone! Laugh.

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

YEA!!! Keep posting pics as it continues to open and get more color. Looking for that orange throat. :) Thank you! It's beautiful!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another overcast day. Sorry, Powder!
    Here's what it looks like today though.
    The scent is very unusual. Maybe grapefruit?

-Robert

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Robert1971,
    I bought a Chiang Mai Rainbow plumeria from Brad's. The picture they had did not look anything like this. This flower has too much yellow in it. Where did you get it from?

George

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey George!

I too got mine from Brad's. Got mine last July so it only took a little over a year to bloom. Woo hoo!
    It's been an unusually cloudy weekend so maybe that's why there's more yellow in the center? Who knows?
    Since every camera is different I took a pic with my cell for comparison. :)

-Robert

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

The picture they had had a large dark red center instead of yellow. I wonder if mine is going to look like yours. I just bought mine about a month ago.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The notes I have state it takes a day or more for the orange center to develop. :)

"Deep pink to maroon-pink buds that develop into stunning flowers of white and yellow, accented by lovely shades of pink, and, brilliant burnt-orange throat which intensifies with heat and actually appears at its strongest when the flower is past a day old."

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

It's very pretty Robert. Let's see what it does in a few days. I still can't tell if it is an aka of Chompoo Paan as is stated in Diana's list. Here is a photo of my CP's first time blooming that I got from Brad.

Here are several photos of CMR on another Plumeria forum. I honestly don't know. They look so different depending on heat, humidity, food, soil, etc. It's hard to tell.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chiang+mai+rainbow&FORM=HDRSC2

There is a grower in Ft. Lauderdale that uses a lot of those pricey hydroponic plant foods and he gets colors that are off the charts gorgeous. His Golden Pagoda colors sets the standard for all others but people are then disappointed because theirs don't look like that.

Let's see if yours turns into a bloom similar to the photo on Brad's. At this point, I tend to think this is not an aka of Chompoo Pann, but I'm still on the fence.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic from this afternoon (it's been a hot and sunny day).
    Orange center is starting to develop.

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Indeed it is. We may get the answer as to whether it's simply incorrect to say it is an aka of CP. However, I have seem some photos of CP where it's center got relatively orange too. I don't think it is an aka of CP, but I'm still not sure because in this photo of CP it has a really orange center.

http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/thumbs/plumeria_chompoo-paan.jpg

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Any updated pics? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

My first blooms fell off yesterday.

I took three spent blooms to work yesterday. From left to right, Gold Coast Peach, California Sunset and Chiang Mai Rainbow.
    Almost everyone thought Chiang Mai Rainbow smelled the best though some liked Gold Coast Peach and thought it had a cinnamon/classic plumeria scent.
    Turns out Chiang Mai Rainbow smells stronger once it's off the plant.
    Almost everyone also agreed it has a citrus, grapefruit, floral scent. :)

It's always fun to watch people react to plumerias. ;)

I've got three new blooms but they look like the others so far.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Fresh pic taken this morning for Powder. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up taken this afternoon.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Just beautiful, Robert!!!

Laura

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Looks good Robert.

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

WOW Robert! It is gorgeous and I do NOT think it is an aka for Chompoo Paan. I think the info is wrong, the photo speaks for itself. I love it, that orange center is amazing! Thank you for the photos, keep them coming. :)

• bobthewizard
    10 years ago

Wow.... Awesome image! I want one of those... lol

~Bob

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Amazing colours! Absolutely beautiful!! Well worth the wait.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I apologize for pushing yet another plumie on everyone but I think it's safe to say we can blame it on Powder. Laugh.

Okay, Powder.
    The rain just knocked off my blooms.
    I think this will be the last pics unless this sucker produces some amazing colors we haven't seen yet. ;)

-Robert

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Nice blooms Robert, just another one I need to add to my list lol.

Kenny

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

It's still pretty Robert! I think we saw enough of that orange center and it will only get better with age. Thank you for posting the pictures and I think it is safe to assume Chiang Mai Rainbow is not an aka of Chompoo Paan.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath