Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Plumeria trees in Virginia Beach, Va.

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to share some of my trees with you. I do have some inflos that will open in the next week or so, but i wanted to go ahead and post some pics of the trees and what i did to some of the pots.

Temps here have been close to 100*. Yesterday the heat index was 105, so with that in mind, i decided to double pot the trees and place a layer of mulch inbetween them. Keeping them in the regular black nursery pots so it will be easy to remove them and store over the winter.

I also have included some pis of my DR's They have been cut back and repotted into the gritty mix. All are doing well, and liking the drainage that comes from this wonderful mix.

My NBC bloomed the other night..I was so pleased!!! The fragrance was unbelievable. I was so happy that i did a walk through the flowers before i went to sleep!!! This was the gift that i had that night!! I hope you enjoy it too!

You will also see some extra pics from around the yard!!

Take care everyone!!

Laura in VB

Before....

{{gwi:36538}}

After...

{{gwi:36540}}

{{gwi:1693}}

{{gwi:36542}}

E.T. Lemon Drop

{{gwi:36543}}

{{gwi:36545}}

{{gwi:36546}}

DR before i repotted it in the "Gritty Mix"

{{gwi:41534}}

{{gwi:41535}}

After...

{{gwi:41538}}

{{gwi:36551}}

{{gwi:36549}}

{{gwi:36550}}

Dave's little DR....Tks Dave!!!

{{gwi:36548}}

{{gwi:36547}}

Take care everyone!!!

Hope you all stay cool!!!

Laura in VB

Comments (31)

• jandey1
    12 years ago

WOWWEEE! What a lovely way to have my coffee this morning! Thanks, Laura! Your family really can't argue with your plant addiction when they get to enjoy such gorgeous results, can they?;D

Your plumeria look so good in their matching terracotta pots. The DR looks great, too. I have two surviving seedlings that look exactly like smaller versions of my plumie seedlings, plus one that's "headless" as it keeps getting its leaves knocked off by grackles who steal the decorative pebbles from underneath it. As if the digging squirrels aren't enough!

That is a very cool hibiscus--what is it? I harvested some hibiscus seeds last year that are coming up with very similar leaves, but I'm pretty sure mine are white. White flowers always find me, no matter where I hide!

Beautiful treat--thanks again, Laura.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jen!!!

Thanks for the nice compliments!!

Believe me, I still get the look when i come home from work and head straight outback to check on the plants/trees...LOL!!!

The Hibiscus is called a " Texas Star" They love the heat..

If you want some seeds, i have plenty of them. I also have volunteers all over the place too! They are the Hardy variety...send me an email and ill give you some!!!

Have a great day, and enjoy that coffee! : )

Laura in VB

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

AWESOME! You have such a beautiful, lush yard, Laura! What a relaxing place to be after a day of work! Everything look obviously well loved and growing happily!
    Lucky you for getting a flower on your night blooming Cerreus! A sweet lady in Hawaii had a huge hanging pot of NBC, and she gave me 3 big cuttings which I brought back and potted in May, so I doubt that I will get any flowers this year, but looking forward to maybe see (and smell) some flowers next year.
    Hey did you ever get a knock on the door from the Police because of that TX Star hibiscus? :-) I've heard stories about it (cuz the leaves look like "weed" leaves) LOL!!! The flowers are beautiful. Do they stay green when it's cold?

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Man I wish I could stop by right now. We could both be sipping on that Pineapple rum drink! I'm sure my little one would love that pool and me....do I even have to say what I would be after? I would love to see your collection some day.

I have to get to repotting after I get the little one her dinner. I swear, even if the egg method doesn't always speed up root formation, they do DO SOMETHING!!! I cannot believe the roots I am getting on my cuttings. Out of the 30+ cuttingsI rooted this year, I only lost 2 I believe.

I used the 16 oz. water bottles. I added about an inch of soil to the bottom of the bottle, added the egg, and then filled with a gritty mix. Now you sent me those cuttings around April(whenever that plumie show was) and also I got a bunch from another very generous member all aroqund the same time.

All those cuttings have practically outgrown those bottles now, and they need to be moved up. I only have 1 or 2 left that are still just starting to root. One of them is Kimi Moragne and I think one of the Samoan Fluffs but I have two of them. I broke most the roots on my Kaneohe Sunburst:( I was so mad about that one!

Take care and great pics....I really needed them today!!

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Man I wish I could stop by right now. We could both be sipping on that Pineapple rum drink! I'm sure my little one would love that pool and me....do I even have to say what I would be after? I would love to see your collection some day.

I have to get to repotting after I get the little one her dinner. I swear, even if the egg method doesn't always speed up root formation, they do DO SOMETHING!!! I cannot believe the roots I am getting on my cuttings. Out of the 30+ cuttingsI rooted this year, I only lost 2 I believe.

I used the 16 oz. water bottles. I added about an inch of soil to the bottom of the bottle, added the egg, and then filled with a gritty mix. Now you sent me those cuttings around April(whenever that plumie show was# and also I got a bunch from another very generous member all aroqund the same time.

All those cuttings have practically outgrown those bottles now, and they need to be moved up. I only have 1 or 2 left that are still just starting to root. One of them is Kimi Moragne and I think one of the Samoan Fluffs but I have two of them. I broke most the roots on my Kaneohe Sunburst:# I was so mad about that one!

Take care and great pics....I really needed them today!!

Andrew

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Hi Laura, Great pics,looks so peaceful..can't imagine sitting next to plumeria's and having evening coffee... looks like lot of hardwork. Thanks for sharing.

Kandhi

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Wow. Enjoyed the pics. You must be getting rain because everything looks so green. Your palms look great. We can't grow Sabal palmetto or Pindo here, but my Windmills and Needles look pretty good. Will get more photos up SOME DAY. We're all dealing with strep and other infections right now. Not fun. Gotta get some rest.

For now, here are few images of my Penang Peach, firing on six cylinders ...er inflos:
    (Very humid evening and lens fogged up) I'm doing an air layer on one branch.

Closeup of one inflo.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Thanks Andrew.... Lets see..what could you be interested in? LOL..."Scentsational cutting?" LOL... (No worries..!!)
    I did spend the morning repotting some cuttings that did have root rot. I cut the tops off of them last week. Hopefully, i will be able to save some of them...I did try the egg method, but they both developed roots at the same time...But i will try them again...only because you have said that u had some great success!!

The tropical drink sounds nice about now!! LOL!!

Kandhi,

Thank you for the nice comments..it is alot of work, but i do enjoy the time that i get to spend on working with my plants/ trees and thinking of the things that i enjoy the most!!!

: )

Sunseeker...That's exactly what i enjoy the most...to have quiet time..listen to my ipod and think about what needs to be done next...always enjoy messing in the yard and having my time to enjoy all of the things that i love!!!

LOL..As far as the "weeds" My son's friends always ask him.."Hey, does your mom know what she is growing?" That's before the red blooms appear..LOL !! I havent had anyone knock on the door, but i do get looks from workers or guest that come over and see these hibiscus!!!!They probably think i have these special plants!!! LOL...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Love the size on the Lemon Drop blooms.

P.S., one of your Adeniums looks like a kangaroo, and another looks like, well, a back side- which I think you mentioned in a previous post! They're great!

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I really don't think it's that the egg actually speeds up the root development itself but it gives them a HUGE boost once the roots start to form.

I actually was not talking about any particular plumeria Laura so please don't tthink that. I am just so thankfull for everything you have done for me this year. Your one terrific lady, and it has been a pleasure getting to know you!!!

Today I recieved yet another shipment of tropicals....a tropical fruit tree called Maprang which is a relative of the mango tree. BTW...do you still have the 1 tree? I also got a black pepper vine. I think that will be fun to grow.

I still have your Jenny cutting waiting to go out but you know my situation Laura and I PROMISE to get it out with some other goodies! I also cut another rare jade variety for you buddy!

Take care, and you deserve a job well done award for that yard! All that hard work you have put in has certainly paid off.

Well, off to bed. I need to get my ZZZZ's when my little one is sleeping!

Andrew

• labland
    12 years ago

Laura,
    What great photos! Are you really that worried about the heat? D you not get that hot normally? We do in Aug. And September, sometimes,D even June and July, so I have never worried about the heat here.

I am glad to see you have such a wonderful garden, I am jealous. It is easy to see that your plants help to keepyou "sane" when things get tough :-). I am glad everything is going well.

Take care and you and your family! Jennifer

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Dave, your Penang Peach plant looks very healthy and lush! So many inflos! I don't blame you for making a "back-up copy" of it!!

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Laura, your DR picture (next to last picture): I think there is there a tiny person sitting inside of the trunk, letting his/her legs dangle outside (looks like there may be a hand resting next to the left thigh!)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow great pictures! I love seeing the desert roses! I have terrible luck with them! Im lucky that the one I bought is still alive, but it had a ton of transplant shock (it finally stopped dying!).
    Your plumerias look so full and healthy and I really like the cactus orchid!

Everything is doing amazing by you! It looks like your plants are having a fantastic growing season!

Thanks for sharing! Your yard always looks nice (even in the winter!).
    -Alex

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Dave,

Those blooms on your Divine look wonderful..i'd like to try air layering on one of mine...i might need some advice!!!

We have had plenty of rain...the last couple of nights, we had a few good storms. The front that came through last night had some strong winds and knocked down some other plants...

I am having some issues on one of my Plumies...might be spider mites...i just sprayed yesterday evening, but then the storm came through.,,go figure!!!

I hope you all feel bettter...hard on the little ones to feel bad ..Hope u all feel better...Pkg will be sent on Monday.. :)

My Penang Peach that i bought looks like it wont bloom this year...but ill keep my fingers crossed!!!

Andrew,

I know that u were not speaking of any particular tree...LOL

but i know what u like!!! LOL...

My Mango is doing well, but i need to repot it into the gritty mix. That will be the next project after a repot all of the new cuttings that have rooted...

Where does the time go? I always seen to try to get to them, then i end up doing something else that i like better...lol

Ill get on those cuttings tomorrow...

Thank you for all of the kind compliments!!!

Hello Jen,

Most of the time i am not worried about the heat. I know that they love the heat, but i have moved some of my trees that i had over from the side yard right on the concrete in front of the deck. The temps here have been close to 100* and the concrete is smoking hot! They all face the West and have full sun pretty much for most of the day. If they were on top where some of the other trees are located, i wouldnt worry so much. But the temps can get so hot on the bottom of those black nursery pots, i didnt want to take any chance that they will "cook" sitting on the 120* cement!!! I could probably cook breakfast for dinner on the concrete around 2-3 in the afternoon!!! LOL

I love my trees so much, that i dont want to take any chances...

The yard definately keeps me "sane" for the moment..LOL with all of the family here and the dogs...Yikes...I feel like i have a kennel here as well as taking care of my daughter... So, watering and messing outside is my "Therapy.." I know you all understand when i say that!!! : )

Sunseeker,

I do see what u see..LOL u have a great eye!!! Those Dr's have different personalities...LOL even when they look like they should "cover up.." LOL

Hi ALex,

Thanks for the comments...you always have a beautiful yard...i cant believe the pics that u post..talking about jaw dropping gorgeous!!!!

This year will be the best as far as inflos, i will have several that should bloom next week..i cant wait..when u wait patiently for years, we finally get our rewards!!!

Thanks for the kind compliments everyone!!

Take care,

Lauura in VB

• Becci_Bop
    11 years ago

I have been trying so hard to find someone I can buy a Singapore Obtusa or Dwarf Singapore obtusa from. I am also looking for flowers or cuttings for my wedding. :) I want to grow them so badly but Virginia has no one who actually sells them and I am hesitant to order them online.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi Becci_Bop, I just got plants in from Florida Colors today and they look great. I've also ordered from Brads Buds and Blooms and they are both in FL. You might be able to find them there. Good luck in your search. Peg

• Becci_Bop
    11 years ago

Thanks Peg.

Did you get rooted plants or cuttings? How big of plants did you order and how fast do they grow?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Becci_Bop I bought plants but they are small(12"-18"). If you wanted a bigger plant/tree, you would have to go to these places and pick up. They would be too hard to ship. These trees don't grow all that fast and once they bloom they have to grow new tips before that branch can bloom again. You only get blooms on tips so for lots of blooms you need lots of tips. You might get one flower stem with many buds but they don't even open all at the same time. It would be hard to get many blooms at the same time unless you had a lot of trees or a very big one. Since they have to be moved inside in the winter here we don't have big trees or we wouldn't be able to move them. The Celadine blooms that Exotic Plumeria has, smell wonderfullll and would be a good choice. I'm in Va.Beach and can tell you there are very few places that carry any trees and then they will be unknown varieties. One that does is McDonald's but it probably wouldn't even be in bloom by June if it even was going to bloom. They need sun and heat so it is not warm enough yet. They are not like most plants that you know will bloom every summer. I know the celadines are not all white but I think people would be impressed by the wonderful smell. Good luck in your search. Peg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Becci Bop,

First of all Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in June!!!

How Exciting!!

I understand that you want to purchase a few Plumeria so you can have the flowers for your wedding.

Finding that many blooms (inflos) even when someone has a few of the same trees you are looking for will be difficult since they dont always bloom and it can take awhile for them to even open when you want them too!

You can always order trees from Ebay( Bloomingplumerias) or onestopaloha... or oder from Maui Plumeria Gardens, Brads Buds and Blooms, Jungle Jacks in Orange County CA or Florida COlors. Even when you have a tree sent to you..it can take a season or two to have blooms. If you want to buy a tree for the reason that we love our Plumeria and wait patiently to see the beautiful flowers then join us in the wonderful world of growing Plumeria. If you want to order blooms for your wedding, then i would take another route...

The best suggestion is to contact a florist that can send you some flowers or even some leis... Im not sure how many you want or need, but if you are looking to decorate with them or even wanting a certian amount...then i would check on the florist in Hawaii. It would be so difficult to have all of the same type of flower at one time especially here in VB since it is hard enough to even have one inflo.. : ) I will gladly donate what is blooming if you want a couple for your hair or something when the time is near so you can have some then... But i am afraid even with all of the trees that i have, it will be difficult to have many flowers at the same time.

Please let us know.. if you do want some flowers when the time comes and i have them available, they are yours for the ceremony!!!

I hope this helps..

Glad to see another VB lady!!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• labland
    8 years ago

Jeanne, If you bought a one limb cutting, when it bloomed it developed new branches. That is how branches develop. If the only branches you have were from last year's blossoms, then you probably will not get blossoms this year. Depends on the size. Once your plant produces more branches, you will, more than likely, have blooms every year. I have had some if my trees produce inflorescence (blossoms) quite late, early December. Don't give up hope. In a couple of years you will probably enjoy them every year.

I do have quite a few this year that haven't yet bloomed. Not to say they still won't.

It seems to me that new branches don't bloom for a year...or more depending on variety.

Are you in Virginia? Laura (Love2plants) will help you better as far as time goes...I live in So. California where they grow and some occasionally bloom as late as Christmas. In VA you have a whole new ballgame!

Good luck and enjoy!!

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked labland
  • Jeanne Hartman
    8 years ago

thanks, my one stalk that bloomed is the older one. No new stalks shot off of it this year and no blooms, hope it will. I am in VA and have to bring them in once it cools down here and I wintered the older one in the garage.

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked Jeanne Hartman
  • mike_in_maryland
    8 years ago

Laura, you are summed up in one word, nah...two; just amazing. Best as always.

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked mike_in_maryland
  • labland
    8 years ago

Laura, funny, looking at our old post talking about heat...105 today in So. Cal. Mine all fine. Whish my 5 year old seedlings would bloom...they tried 3 years ago, started to barely developed the nub if inflo at the end of December! The one has a real thick trunk with 3 branches from the inflos attempt!

Good news big gargantuan Lemon Yellow seedlings started to sprout 2 days after just putting them in a cup with water w/ h2o2 squirted in! I was surprised. Wished I grabbed more but I let them go where they will! It is a c star variety, ext to an Obtusa, Hawaiian Flag, Guilott's Sunset, Lipstick and Penang Peach. Who knows what they may produce!

• Jeanne Hartman
    8 years ago

I enjoy watching them so much. I just have not had any additional limbs on my one stalk. The flowers were so beautiful. I want it to do so well. Thanks for all the info. I'll keep plugging with them. My big question is when do you give them bigger pots?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jeaane!

Always glad to see another Virginian on the forum!!

i had to smile looking at this old post. It has been around .. Lol!!

Hi Jen.. I always get a huge smile when I see you post.. Lol.. Sounds like you are having the heat .. We are having he heat, but not in the triple digits any longer. We do have the humidity tho.. The night are starting to cool down just a little and I can see some of the leaves yellowing and thinking of fall... Sad time. I have a few new inflos that I want to see.. So hopefully they will continue. I think I will see them bloom.. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Hi Mike!

Thank you for that awesome kind comment.. Did I pay you to say that? ;-)

Mahalo.. You touched my heart just when I needed a lift, so thank you!!

Jeaane.. Jen gave you great advise, but if you need any more information for growing in our area, p,ease ask. I'll be more Han happy to help !!

what area are you in?

take care!!

laura

• Jeanne Hartman
    8 years ago

I'm here in Norfolk, Virginia. The leaves on all three of my plants are starting to yellow already. Must be the cooler nights I look so forward to their blooms and had none this year, Can you tell me if I should put them in a bigger pot each year?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    8 years ago

I would sequentially up pot them up to the biggest pot you can physically move. By year 5 most of mine are in 12 to 15 gallon containers and any older than 8 years are in a 25 gallon or larger or in ground (not always an option for many). Are the bottom most leaves yellowing first? If so...no significant worries.

While you actually got the best resource for your questions (Laura is a Plumeria Ninja and in your area = best advice) may I suggest starting a new thread as your question will be more easily seen by some really nice and helpful people on this site. I know I passed it up until seeing it this evening.

K.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Jeanne!!

I do try and pot up the smaller trees each year and i will go up to the larger size being 12-15 max. My largest tree is a handful to move into my great room and I can't go any larger. Once it grows to large for that container, I will root prune and place it back into the same container. Most of my new trees go into a one gallon ( when I root cuttings) and I will move those up the following year to three and then five gallon.

The number of trees I have are greater then the normal collector. Lol. Did I just say that? Nooooo.. I'm a " normal" collector.. ;-). I just have over a hundred or so to move inside each year and it takes a few days to prepare them for the " March Of The Plumeria". But I love it..

My trees are starting to have yellow leaves ( bottom.. Older leaves). And like K mentioned, that is normal. It's their way of shedding and getting ready due to the limited light now and the cooler evenings. They know when it's getting time to relax.. Mother Nature knows best..

im also seeing some orange rust, so don't be alarmed if you see this. It's getting to be that time of the season.

Thank you K for your kind comment. I do appreciate your vote of confidence.. I'm still learning, but I also love to share what I do know.

Please let me know if you need any help. I'd be more than happy to help you in any way...

Have a great night !!

Laura

• psubasic15
    6 years ago

Your plants are beautiful! My mom got into plumeria propagating after a neighbor found plants at our local nursery...McDonald Garden Center a couple of years ago. Then I went to visit a friend in Florida and mailed some cuttings home. They all made it and now she has a jungle in her backyard. Lots of Hot pink, 1 light pink she calls MINI and a yellow she just got a cutting of from another friend. She needs to thin out but would also like to expand her color palette. If anyone in the VA Beach area wants to buy or trade she has 1 year old starts, approx 2 feet tall that she will part with. These are starts from 2016. Mature leaves but have not flowered yet. Please call Marge, 757-510-0304. Located near McDonald Garden Center in Virginia Beach.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA