Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Sharing infor I got at the PSA sale

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

I bought my penang peach and the bill moragne from a seller named Barbara Randolph. Nanacy told me that she was Emersons mentor when he started. The bill moragne was rooted in 2011, so she told me that it could be repotted and planted in full sun. The Penang Peach was rooted in the spring of 2012, and I should not repot it until the fall of this year and better yet the spring of 2013. I wish I would have known this when I potted all my newly rooted cuttings from this spring, then put in full sun. They shriviled up and died. This is what K was talking about learning from the pros. I am not sure if this is just becasue we are in Texas, thought I would put it out there, anyway, because of the hot weather in the Southeast. Barbra

Comments (6)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Hmm. If it was rooted just in spring, it likely did not have a very well-established root system and repotting it caused it to go into shock. How did the roots look when you repotted it? Did some roots break upon repotting?

Full Texas sun is probably too much as well. I think if you had used a very well-draining soil, and then set the plants in part shade to recover, you probably would have been OK. Too much water at this could also be problematic.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing that Barbra! That info is important to us newbies. Right now I can't even manage to get my cuttings to root I can't imagine losing them afterwards. I would be so devastated too Barbra!

Are you rebuilding the ones you lost?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put them in my special "K" plumeria fast draining mix, put in full sun. When I came back in 6 days, they were all shrivled up. When I planted them they had about 3 nice size roots, I have a sprinkler system that waters every other day. I tried soaking them in water, thinking they might plump up, they still looked like dried prunes. I kept them for almost a month but nothing changed. I did buy a Allura from Emerson this month, to replace the cutting. I did trade for a Kimo to replace a cutting, the others Daisy Wilcox, Ruby Too, and Aztec Gold, I will try again next spring, those were only $10 per cutting. I guess we learn as we go. I had not planted the maudi gras, and the embers yet, because they had not leaves out. So those two are ok, Jen, has the maudi gras, and the Embers, I hope is still rooting, I have not been their since we got called home on the 5th by the police. I got the cuttings in March from John Balcar the president of the Corpus PSA he gave me such nice multi tip cuttings, they would have been great plants, it just made me sick thinking about it. Barbra

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry Barbra...I totally get it. I have not been feeling good about killing my cuttings either. But I'm determined to give it another try! This time I'm going to try what Bill uses. I will report my progress. If nothing I love a challenge. Just don't tell me to root Raspberry Sundae! LOL At least not yet, not until I get at least one to root.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

LIke Dave mentioned.. They have to adjust to full sun.

They can't just be placed in full sun unless they are acclimated first.

I am so sorry for your loss, Barbra.

Sounds like they were in good mix They need water in this heat..and going for 6 days... They just couldn't tolerate those harsh conditions.

Place they in partial shade after any repot. this goes with any plant, not just Plumeria. Shock/stress can happen to any tree/plant..

Take care,

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    I can relate to your story but I think we all could at one point. We all started as beginners and learned from our losses.

Before I went to Florida, I was made aware of the inpending heat spell that was coming our way. The only preparations I could think of making was moving my freshly rooted cuttings back indoors out of the way of the intense heat. I knew we were going to be gone for 10 days.

Now, the larger plumeria with large rootballs, I pretty much left them where they were. Many were on my conrete side walk but here in western NY, I can usually do that without harming my plumerias. Average temps even in August rarely exceed the high 80's..sometimes we will hit the 90's.

While we were gone though, temps soared into the high 80's and low 90's. I did have a neighbor that was watering for me, I have to say I was hesitant to have anyone water but if it wasn't for him, I think my plumeria on the concrete would have croaked. In fact my large white 'Pyshco'(which BTW..is one of my larger plumerias), even began to pucker!

Sadly, I did lose a few plumerias, and with the exception of a few, the rest were all well established trees that I rooted from last year! They just couldn't handle the intense sun that they recieved while I was gone. Even the trees that didn't die on me, some had soft spots, all of which recovered fully.

Barbra I really feel for you. Not sure if I have any of the plumeria you lost but email me, I may be able to help you replace some of what you lost.

You have been so kind and generous to me, I would love to return the favor!

Take care, and I wish you the best of luck on all your plumeria endeavors!

Andrew