Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Scratching / Sanding to Induce Branching

elucas101
11 years ago

I have a 2 tip Penang Peach cutting that was very stalled in the rooting process and one one of the tips actually looked like it was smoothing over. (It turns out on the other tip it was trying to push an inflo, which I promptly cut off as soon as I was able to)

So I began to worry about this tip because the tiny claws it had were even drying up and it was getting an odd, too smooth appearance. I decided to gently scratch the tip with my fingernail until a little sap came out, in my mind thinking I could possibly stimulate the tip into action. I did this about 3 times total over a period of about 2 weeks I guess? This was before I heard talk of being able to sand a tip to induce branching, and at this time I was just hoping for some leafing action.

We had 3 days of rain and storms here and I had tucked my plumies under my covered patio and hadn't actually looked at them for those days. Well yesterday I was so shocked when I looked at my Penang Peach, I seriously almost didn't recognize it! Not only had it gone from only having tiny claws to having some serious leaf action, look what's happening on the right tip! It's branching, isn't it????!!!!

{{gwi:1182831}}

{{gwi:1182832}}

{{gwi:1182833}}

Comments (16)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

So that's only 3-days' growth? Impressive, and obviously your growth-inducing method worked.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Looking good! Very healthy too. :)

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys! It had claws that I would say were about 1/2" no more than 5 days ago max but really this weather we had did some amazing things for my rooting cuttings. Since it also recently had the inflo cut off it was just waiting to spring into action apparently.

Another example is that jandey and I live in the same area and both bought a cutting of Moragne #78 a couple of weeks ago and both of ours spontaneously put out a couple of leaves over the last 3 days. The cloud coverage and humidity were a great break for our plants.

But the most exciting thing by far is the branching, that's really amazing the plant could do that. I just wanted to induce growth but got a bonus on top of that! Now I'm curious to look at a regular tip that's not smoothing over and see where you might be able to do that just to induce branching.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

It`s amazing they don`t grow a bit when you watch them but turn your back and they take off. Impressive and very healthy looking. Definately a branching tip.

It`s been raining here for about a week, I moved the newly potted plumerias to the porch for more sun exposure, sure glad I did, they are not drowning.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Hm, I wonder if, like its offspring J105, Penang is prone to sealing over. My J105 broke five times total, but I popped off the weakest, tiniest branch and now the remaining four are going gangbusters.

Very cool to be getting two new branches on that tip. Is the other tip also putting out two more after the inflo? Double the chances for inflos next year!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi elucas,
    when younger plumerias bloom they almost always branch out. Older plants quite often do not branch after flowering. Looking at your pictures, I believe the two branches that are growing originated from the mother plant (before the cutting was taken), from the inflo that you cut off. Cutting the inflo off does not stop branching out. I do not believe it has anything to do with sanding/scratching. It you still believe it does, just take do the scratching/sanding to the second tip that does not have an inflo and see if you can make it branch. If you do, that will really be amazing and I would like to see!
    tc,
    George

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cutting came to me with those 2 tips and no inflo showing at all, the inflo began growing from the tip on the left, the one on the right is the one that was smoothing over - so I am also curious / confused because the left one isn't showing signs of branching. I have a couple others that are not showing signs of branching after cutting the inflo, and then I have a Pauahi Alii that IS branching after I cut off the inflo. But the right tip I scratched had no inflo, only scratching, LOL.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Your bottom picture of Penang Peach looks like its branching because that's how mine did after the inflo was done. :)

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

What is the white spot between the two new tips? Did you scractch out the growing tip? Was the inflo on the left branch in the center of the tip or on the side of the branch? When inflos are on the side of the tip, the branch does not split.

George

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Citizen Insane - Yes, the white spot between the 2 new tips (right tip) is where I scratched it. Before I scratched it, it was 1 smooth tip and wasn't doing anything so I did that to stimulate it.

The left tip is where the inflo began to come out from the center of the tip and I snipped it off after it grew about 1/2". I would think it would begin to branch on the left but so far it doesn't seem so. If I can, when the leaves relax a little I will be able to see better what's going on or see if I could scratch that one too.

Jen, who was it that talked about the sandpaper? I can't remember!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

elucas,
    plumerias do not make side shoots that quick. When you cut off a branch, it takes more than four weeks for side tips to begin to develop. The only explanation is that there was a not-yet-vissible inflo where you scatch and you did not really scratch off the tip but the undeveloped inflo. The two shoots that are developing look like a split from an inflo and not new shoots from the side of a branch. Just do the experiment on a branch that deveoped recently from a spent inflo (no chance there is an inflo there till next year) and see if it splits. I would bet against it.

George

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe so! I heard about someone inducing branching by using sandpaper though, so maybe there's something to it. All I wanted was to stimulate it not to smooth over and got this, so when I have the chance I'll experiment again.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I would be wary of doing too much a young plant. My experience has been that damage (pruning, frost, breaks, etc.) to a branch tip can cause branching but it takes a while for the new tip(s) to push out at a leaf node near the damaged tip.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, that was Freak. He's also noted that when some tips rub against stucco from wind movement they also seem to branch.

I have a lot of rooted cuttings that seem to be serial single-branchers. You can see the inflo scars up and down the single trunk, but I don't have enough experience to say whether it's because the trees they were taken from were mature, as George says. My assumption was always that certain cultivars just like to branch more than others, like Lemon Drop.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Also if it Rains you can leave your plants and cuttings out as I heard Rain Water will not cause rot in cuttings or plants.
    Congrats on the multi tipped PP.
    Cheers

• nativec
    11 years ago

Congrats Emily! This happened quite by accident to my University Orange and I have 3 tips that developed off of one tip. Great looking plants:)

Nicole

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH