Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How 'bout this for a first bloom?

Posted by spiroan DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:10

It seems like I've had quite a few first blooms lately. Most of them only throw a flower or two, and they are usually quite small or disheveled in some way. But this one went against the grain and had thrown four full flowers when I walked out this morning. Plus, they smell good - a lot like cinnamon candy with kind of a fruity smell as well. I hope this continues the next couple of inflos! It is a cell phone pic, but at least maybe we can imagine what it would like like with good picture quality.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How 'bout this for a first bloom?

Sorry for the typo. I meant "at least maybe we can imagine what it would be like with good picture quality."

o

Congrats on a gorgeous bloom! I love the shape and I'm sure the scent just makes it better. Lovely....

Nicole

o

Congrats!!!!
Lonnie

o

Very nice. I like the colors and the way that these plants seem to surprise you when you are not looking. Enjoy, Barb

o

congrats and nice colors on it1

o

Very pretty!

o

I like the shape of the flower as well. Nice work.

o

Is this the first bloom of a seedling? If so, nice work! I think it's a keeper. You never know with seedlings.

o

Thanks everyone!

Dave - Yes, it is the first bloom of a seedling. I've had a couple of pretty first blooms on seedlings, but usually it is only one flower and pretty small. This one has been a nice surprise.

The fruity smell seems to be starting to go away now. So, the smell is almost exactly like cinnamon candy. The inflo has a few more buds on it, though. So, we'll see if it continues. It definitely makes me excited to see (and smell) the blooms in two more years. Crazy how these things can make you think two years ahead.

o

OHHH. You have a beauty there!!

A keeper for sure!! ;-)

Congratulations !!

Laura

o

that's a gorgeous flower!!! You started this from seed??? Do you know its name?

o

Beth, it doesn't have a name. The tree that the seed pod was on is a NOID. I've never registered one, so I doubt I will register this one. But we'll see if it is still pretty in a couple years.

o

As Laura said... Definitely a keeper for sure!!!!

I bet the next few years the blooms are going to look better and better as the tree matures. Did you say it is two years old now?

I hope some of mine turn out to have a bloom as pretty!!

Doug

o

Hi Doug,

The tree itself is four or five years old. It is about 5 1/2 feet tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here