Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California Sally

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 10:21

My California Sally is starting up and this is its first bloom since being started from a cutting. I know I'm going to like this variety. The size of the bloom, which you can't really appreciate here, is impressive...at least 4 inches, maybe 4.5". Poor iPhone shot, sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California Sally

Looks like you have a great plumie there Dave! IT's so exciting to see those first blooms...you know that they will only get better and BETTER!

Is there any noteable fragrance?

Andrew

o

Yes, I think it does have a fragrance. But I didn't have time really smell it this morning. Maybe Bill can comment on that, I know he likes this variety a lot.

o

Hey Dave,

Love your California Sally!!!

She sure does have beautiful blooms....I have one trying to root now that i picked up out in Costa Mesa. Im keeping my fingers crossed that it roots and will look like yours some day!!!

Way to go!!!!

Laura in VB

o

• Posted by pharoah Sherman Oaks CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 22:26

Andrew,
LOL! On another forum I just got the wonderful news that California Sally smells like body odor and onions! hahahaha! I have one, but it has not bloomed yet so I cannot say if I agree or not.

Beautiful bloom Dave!

Tony

o

I love Cal Sal which has a great combo of orange and pink and is a large flower.

And it is a moderately heavy bloomer:

o
RE: California Sally (more)

but it does not smell badly. I has a very mild scent but not something like body odor or onions.

o

• Posted by pharoah Sherman Oaks CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 0:01

Hey Bill,
Good to know that it was only one person's opinion! I'd be disappointed to think I would have to bury that beauty far away from the house. It looks amazing!

o

OK, so my wife and I both smelled the CA Sally bloom soon after it opened and it had a very wonderful fragrance! We would call the smell akin to fruity SweetTarts, if you remember those! Very nice fragrance indeed. As the flower got older though the fragrance seemed to fade a bit to maybe more spicey. Fragrance also changes with weather conditions. Humidity seems to bring out the frangrance more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here