Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

sometimes it pays to shop

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

I went to the nursery to see about getting fertilizer for my blooming plants. It was $4.95 for a 2 lb bag for 12-24-12. I drove 2 blocks to Moores feed store and got the exact same stuff for $19.99 for a 40lb bag. Barbra

Comments (19)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow that's a much better deal! I love it when I find a bargain. For me half of the fun is the hunt.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Great Find Barbra!!

I love it when i find a deal!!

Feels good eh?

Take care,

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Congrats!

I always assume I'm getting the lowest price online but recently I ordered some seaweed fertilzer off Amazon only to discover that two local nurseries carry the exact same thing only cheaper! One is about 7 bucks cheaper so next time I'll look locally before ordering online. ;)

-Robert

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

Plus you don't pay the shipping. Plucrazy
    Clara

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Good shopping!

Amazon prime = no shipping most orders, if you had an .edu e-mail sign up for 1 year student prime free, then it is 1/2 price for 3 years (I work for the state of Texas), they also have a mom one you can sign up for I think 3 months free, just watch for a deal on the amazon prime membership. Often they are not cheaper so shop around, they will match prices often, just e-mail, they don't advertise this.

I have to go to the feed store on Friday so I will check there for fertilizer, makes sense they would have it. DUH!
    Tally HO!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    I would not use a fertilizer with 12N this late in the season. It will prroduce too much green growth, which can get black tip in winter storage. This fertilizer is good for the springtime. I would use something like 4-6N right now. I would not add fertilizer past the end of August.
    tc,
    George

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

George, my Thai splash is just about done blooming for the summer, do I continue to fertilize for overall health? I'm using a very balanced fert (Foliage Pro 9-3-6).

thanks,
    Wendy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George, thanks for the information, I will not use this fertilizer past August. I already used 3/4 of the 40lb bag. October is when my plants usually bloom. That is when all the folks come down to Rockport to the hummingbird fest. l go thru 5 lbs of sugar a day, keeping those feeders full. Its just beautiful then. I hope my white hummingbird comes back this year. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here are a few pictues of my white hummingbird that I took with my cheap camera. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Barbra,
    are you using the garden type 12-24-12 fertilizer that has mostly ammonium sulfate for nitrogen? It sounds like it from the price you gave. If yes, that will produce a flush of growth. I am very familiar with that fertilizer. Go easy on it. Remember, the fertilizing you are doing now is not going to affect bloom formation for this year. It will affect the blooms for next year.

Wendy,
    that foliage pro is Ok to use till the end of August. Very little fertilizer is absorbed through the leafs. The problem is with granular fertilizers.

tc,
    George

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George I have no idea what I am using. I went to Adams Nursery, 12-24-12 is what she recommended for my blooming plants. When I went to the feed store and they had 12-24-12, I bought it. I did not know it was the exact same stuff until I opened the bag. My blooming season starts in October, and goes thru December. I will bring in my plumeria and Puerto Rico plants only if we get a freeze. Last year we did not have any freezing weather. I hope we do not get any this year. Barbra

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Honeybunny, that albino Hummingbird is amazing! Have you contacted any Hummingbird-related magazines to see if they'd be interested in taking some pictures of it?

11 years ago

Barbra,

I also love Hummingbirds and have a feeder outside my great room. Love seeing them go crazy and the Alpha male protecting "his feeder" LOL.. they are so much fun to watch. YOU are so lucky to have an White Hummingbird. That is very unusual. I agree with KayJones that you should post a pic . ALso to the Hummingbird forum too! I look over there sometimes to see where the birds are migrating and when i will see them return to my area. It is fun to hear people report on where they are..

Thanks for the pics..

Wendy.. I also use the Foliage Pro and Pro TeKt. GOOD STUFF!

Love it!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I let two professional take pictures of my white hummingbird. One lady was from Alice Tx, and the other was from Hummbel Tx. Both promised me they would email me a couple of their high quality pictures, but neither did. I should have figured it out when they kept saying money shot. I use 5 lbs of sugar a day feeding them, plus all the plants /they will be back, and I will just tell them no, and let the dogs out of the house. Barbra

11 years ago

Hey Barbra,

Sorry to go off topic, but since this is your thread... I wanted to say that people like that are awful.

Takes no time to send an email.. or a phone call to say thanks.

Sorry that happened to you.

Question.. OT... I use 3:1 on my water to sugar and others say 4:1 what do you like? I never use the mix that you buy in the stores..i only make it myself. Mine are so picky, they want the feeder washed weekly..lol

Thanks for any info..

Sorry about off topic questions.. but i love Hummingbirds..

Thanks,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, I use 4 to 1 ratio, but since I do not use a level cup of sugar its more like 4 1 1/8 ratio. I make it every evening before I go to bed. I boil distilled water, remove from the stove and stir in the sugar, I use Wilton special red(no taste), not just Wilton red, They prefer the red color. I rinse out the feeders with hot water and a drop of bleach every morning, and rinse out, before starting over. The birds like clean feeders, and will stay away from one that has not been cleaned. Rockport is known as the filling station before the birds go to Mexico for the Winter. Barbra

11 years ago

Thank You Barbra for the info!!

I have not seen The Wilton Special Red? Do you order on line? You must have a Humminbird sanctuary... must be heaven for these beauties.

How do you keep up with all of those feeders and still have time for your Plumies and life? : )

I know you are on the go with both homes.. I applaud the time you put into the trees as well as the beautiful Hummingbirds..

Take care,

Laura

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I LOVE hummingbirds too!!! I use the 4:1 ratio, and clean the feeder weekly. They say the hotter the heat the faster the sugar will ferment so even every 3-4 days if it's been really hot. But I've also read that any form of red dye is harmful to the birds? I do heat my mixture to a boil but I've read that's not actually necessary either, as the first time a hummer drinks out of it it's no longer sterile - have you ever heard that? Your white hummer is so cool Barbara!!!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

coolhummer!
    sic `em girl!
    Tally Ho!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County