Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

Blooms?

Minderella
11 years ago

Why don't I have blooms? I would like to know the secret to everyones blooming plants, all I get are leaves and more leaves. I did pick up one from lowes that had a spent inflo on it, what do I do with the inflo, cut it off or let it be? It flowered before I got it.

Mindy

Comments (17)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

HI Mindy,

It can take years for a tree to show in inflo..that is why you hear us go nuts when we finally see one forming. You are seeing some of these other lucky people who live in CA that can buy trees with inflo and blooms right on the tree. Your trees are not mature enough.. But they will be. Give them some time...

Most of us have to wait and nuture our trees before we see any sign of blooms. That is why we all say that we have to have parience when growing Plumeria. I will say that many have "instant" blooms and it is wonderful to see.. But when you finally see the bloom that YOU grow, that will make your heart pitter patter.. Believe me. We all remember our "first" and i am talking about really growing them ourselves. Not buying an instant tree. Be patient and you will have your just rewards. If not this year, then next...

You could always order a tree from Fuzzy that has in inflo and maybe that will make you happy.. Just a thought. As far as the spent inflo...is it still looking like it could produce? I would leave it and see what it wants to do. If it starta to turn brown, then i would cut.

The inflos that are forming on my trees right now have taken 2-3 years to form... i will post these beauties and remember to tell that it has taken this long to finally see them emerge. Good things take time...

Hope this helps..

Laura

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some pictures:
    Inflo

My 3 Plumerias

update on seedlings

One more question, can anyone tell me if this is just sun damage to the leaves, there isn't any dust on the back, just these spots.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mindy,

Your plants look great and your seedlings are adorable!

I only have so many flowers because I cheated and bought 5-7 gal plants from JJ's! I do have a few I bought on Ebay that are just rooted cuttings so I don't have flowers yet... hoping next year?

Hang in there!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

If you have seen blooms on some of ours that we are rooting here on the forums, that is because the cutting came from a big mature tree that was gonna produce an inflo anyways before it was cut. I think it's all about luck. :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have been buying my plumeria from Florida Colors, for the past 3 years. I ordered 4 in April the first year and all bloomed that year. The second year I ordered them in July, and nothing bloomed that year. This year I got my plants again in April, two are already blooming. I really do believe that it depends on when you get them. I have all my plants planted in 5 gallon pots, that are sunk into the ground. Barbra

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy - don't cut that inflo off. It looks like it's forming more bloom bud.
    Kasie

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

the inflo looks good, it could send out some leaves and become a branch or it could dry up by itself and fall off, but i always leave mine on.

the two large plumies in your first pic have the possibility to bloom later this summer. some of mine bloom earlier and some bloom later on.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mindy - I'm in the same boat, too. One would think with all the rooted cuttings I've bought that at least one of them would have already been ready to produce an inflo. I did get a few cuttings that had an inflo but they were small and nearly done by the time I got them. Except my Duke. Wow, I love the fragrance on that one! Yum!

I wish someone would respond to your question about the leave spots.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

I am having the same issue with the spots, it only gets worse from there. :o/ Someone suggested I take the pics to my local garden store and see what they have to say- I plan to do that within the next couple days and will report back.

Wendy

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Wendy. And thank you to all who have been giving me encouragement. Does anyone have Elsie Plumeria? I think I want one and both FC and BBB have them on their website.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I have a plumie with rust and the top of the leaves look like the spots in your pic. I'm a newbie so I can't say for sure just sharing what I know so far (my leaves also had yelow/orange powder on the underside so I know it's rust).
    You may want to post a separate message specifically about your spots with the pic to see what the experts will say.

Good luck!

-Robert

• elucas101
    11 years ago

What is your watering schedule like? Could it be too much water? The one that seems most affected is in the original pot and mix (the brown one), which is very peaty, right? it may be holding too much moisture on the roots?

Are you foliar spraying anything on the leaves?

I looked around on the PSA site and aside from that the recommendations seem to center around water, the root system or fungus.

Also, I don't know if the plants will be affected, but I have heard people say they've had to move their plants away from bright white walls as they are so bright and reflective on the plants.

Your seedlings look great, BTW!

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It could be watering too much. I have used the foliage pro fertilizer and I did spray them with fungicide spray about a week ago in the evening. It is so hot here like every where else has been.

Mindy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Mindy, can you repot that one in a fast draining mix? It looks like your other 2 already are. I can water a lot with my fast draining mix and it will still dry out quickly, that's the key Since that plant's in it's original container I know that mix is way too peaty. I honestly don't know how they grow so healthy in it!

Are you spraying the Foliage Pro or watering with it? If you're spraying it on it could be just a kind of burn with the sun / fertilizer combo or even a combo with the fungicide...I haven't used a fungicide before so I don't know if that could burn for sure, but I would maybe hold off on the foliar treatments for a bit & see if that helps too?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Mindy, Don't get discouraged. I was told that plumerias will teach you patience. You have to wait and leave them alone for roots. We tenderly care for them and wait. I got one to bloom last year and it was "wonderful". This year I am still waiting with no inflos on plants in sight. I've only got inflo on cuttings trying to root. I would be happy if one of the 2 NOIDs would bloom so I knew what they were. Your blooms will come. Here is what I'm looking at so far this year. Pretty sad but cute and love the color !!! Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy,

I have Elsie and she will be blooming in a few weeks.. I will post for you!!!

Good Night!!!

Laura

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

elucas I will repot this weekend, I water with foliage pro.

pcput Your little flowers are very pretty. Everyone tells me to hav patience but it is so hard.

Lauraa I cant wait to see your Elsie

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz