Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phxplantaddict

Is Jungle Jacks quality really better than other plumerias?

phxplantaddict
11 years ago

I am going on a buying trip to SD soon and have never been to Jungle Jacks before, am not familar with his product. Is there a noticable difference between his plants and others? Is this something that customers will notice and willing to pay for? Thx in advance

Comments (21)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

From the one JJ's plant I have and the ones I've seen, they are extremely healthy and high quality. JJ's carries varieties no one else has / their own varieties, that also makes them very appealing. They have the most variety of compact varieties as well, I believe. I'm sure others will have more info, they are very popular.

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

I have been very satisfied with the five JJ's that I have bought this year. Two from them and three from a Lowes store. They were all healthy looking, had inflos and seemed to be well rooted. The ones that came by mail were a little beat up but very well packed and they recovered in just a few days. Clara

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I think they have years of building some unique genetic lines and significant experience in growing and handling which makes the difference.

I would shy away from saying there are no comparables. However JJ's product is highly respected by most members of this forum. No Collection would be complete without a few JJ varieties.

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

My JJ plants blooms better and longer than almost every other one I have, especially when the plant is still small.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I also am a follower of JJ's.. His plants seem to be quite healhy and he does a great job when shipping them.

Just to be fair tho.. i like BBB, MPG and FC.. I have purchased from them all and have had great trees. Fuzzy and Matt too! LOL, But.. if i was to go to JJ;s i would be on a buying frenzy.. love his trees!

You all are so lucky to live near JJ's!!

Have fun shopping..

Laura

• irun5k
    11 years ago

I guess the question is, are you talking about JJ in regard to his genre of named cultivars, or about JJ as a vendor?

Everyone seems to have good experiences buying plants from them.

Most of his named plants are Thai varieties. They tend to be smaller and more compact growers than those that originate from Hawaii, FL, Mexico, etc.

I have much less experience with them than may here, so my observations are anecdotal... but for me they have been slower growers, which is some cases is good. OTOH more vigorous growers are more likely to push out lots of nice green leaves whereas if you have a problem with a slower growing plant (e.g. some leaf damage or whatever) you might be staring at an ugly plant for a longer period of time.

I suspect I just still have a lot to learn... I would imagine each cultivar has slightly different needs that the owner needs to learn about over time and adjust to.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have been absent for about a week...so much activity and I feel like I owe so many compliments! Beautiful things happening in all y'all's back and front yards.

I do want to chime in, briefly, on my thoughts regarding JJ's plants. (I will withhold my comments on John as a direct vendor...I hear he's a great guy and have no reason to doubt that.)

I now own over a half dozen JJ plants and they are some of my oldest trees (3 years, which isn't old, of course).

They have many positives:
    --they tend to have tight, compact growth.
    --they tend to have lovely foliage and gorgeous form.
    --the flowers are beautiful. John is working with some first-rate genetic material, without question.

My 3-year old Divine is flowering maniacally, but it seems to be the exception. In my three short years of growing plumeria, I have found JJ plants to be stingy bloomers, relative to my, say, Hawaiian plants, which have been flowering pretty generously. My Mini-White is just now pushing its first inflo after 3 solid years of nothing.

This is contrary to some others' experience, so, take it for what it's worth. I'm, as they say, "just sayin' ".

Greg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Does anyone have the JJ's catalog? I really want to ID that one Wendy took a photo of at the open house - I will find the picture if anyone is willing or able to look it up. Thanks!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Most of my plants are from JJs and I am thrilled with every single one of them. You can view some of the photos I posted recently.

To me they just seem very robust. I love how they just bloom like crazy and the blooms just last forever! Heck even his NOID is a winner. Many here think my NOID is a Tiger. For me due to limited space I tend to favor JJs plants for their size and fragrance. Many of my plants are either compact or semi compact with awesome growth habit.

As for Jon himself that man is very patient, generous and honest. No matter how busy he always took time to help me pick out the best plants for my needs. Overall I am very pleased with jj's plants and service. If you go see my photos you will agree with me. :)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

elucas, I have the catalog, which one are you wanting to ID?

• lablover4ever
    11 years ago

Thats what i would have said about jj plumes. I have 4 and they don't bloom all that much now like the first year. They had alot of flowers when I bought them. My other ones bloom every year with lots of flowers but when the jj's bloom there isn't that many flowers and they don't bloom very long. I like my other ones better and they aren't named ones.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Kim, thank you, that's so sweet of you! This is Wendy's picture. I think she said when she originally asked him he thought it might be Tangerine Dream but I don't know -and then he was really busy and I don't think he and Wendy were able to get back to each other to nail it down.

What do you think? Any obvious matches?! Thanks again!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I have 10 of JJ's plants and love everyone of them. i have 2 in their second season and they are looking fantastic.

I will say this and only as a precaution for anyone who gets one. Be very careful and check the roots. I got six from a local nursery that had just taken them off the truck and come to find out 2 had almost no roots on them at all. They all had inflos and leaves but my Inca Gold and Jenny had virtually no roots. I have a thread where I showed them. Anyways the Jenny has finally made good roots and recovered great but the inca is having a hard time.

By no means am I bashing Johns plants because I love them all. Im just saying that these 2 came out of the oven a little too soon in my opinion.

Mike

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

I have Johns catalog and the closest I can come to your flower shape and color is on page 9 and called Tiu. Funny name. But the shape of the petals are distinctive. And the coloration. Hope this helps. Clara

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mike... I honestly don't think your lack of roots is JJ's fault. I have been to his nursery more times than I can count and they are all very healthy and happy. Besides they would have noticed when they transferred them into pots before they deliver to Lowes and HD.

Now I have seen his plants being abused at HD! I actually got into huge arguments before walking out. I was so upset I called Jon. I think at some point he will need to make a decision whether or not to continue selling to them. Because now it reflects badly on him.

That is just my experience and I am sure others in So Ca have seen the same abuse!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

elucas, I looked at JJ's catalog an I found 3 that it sorta resembled -- Melody, Tiu, & Eternity.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Clara and Kim, THANK YOU SO MUCH, I really appreciate you checking that out for me!!! At least that narrows it down quite a bit!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

No-clue

Your right I cant blame it on John because I didnt see what they were shipped to the nursery in or if they nursery repotted them. I cant imagine the nursery repotted them after they got them. This wasnt at a big box infact it was at one of our best nurseries here. Like I said I love his stuff, infact I have my eye on a few more here just dont tell Robert he might snatch them up before I do.

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Keep your eyes off the premium yellow one, Mike! ;)

-Robert

• Kimo
    11 years ago

John breeds for growth habit and flowers (unusual shapes and color patterns). I don't think its about quality as it is about characteristics as JL and Luc have high quality domestic and imported varities. If your going to get JJ's plumies then buy what them because you want plumies that have good growth habits and unusually beautiful flowers like Taj Mahal, Jackie, Tiger, etc. Here is a pic of my JJ's Taj Mahal blooming in mid 70 degree heat last season:

If you buy from reputable growers you will have quality and healthy plants

• irun5k
    11 years ago

I just wanted to add that here in FL, JJ sells cuttings wholesale to commercial growers that pot them up in spring and then sell to places like Lowes. I could be wrong but I have assumed these were unrooted cuttings.

When you think about it, from spring to mid-summer is not a lot of time for a brand new cutting, and by that time the plants are now on a truck getting driven around the state, getting slung around and then slung around again by the guy at Lowes and then handled even more by customers. I guess it work out OK in most cases, and the commercial growers don't want to keep the plants in their greenhouse for a year. However I think the customer might get a stronger plant, albeit one that most (present forum members excluded) aren't willing to pay a premium for :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida