Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Cuttings...is it rotting?!?

puglvr1
9 years ago

Hi, first timer at this... I'm trying to root a few plumeria cuttings...its in Gritty mix...I moistened (wet) the soil before I added the cuttings...its been 9 days and I haven't watered since...should I water it again today? If not when should I water it again?

Does the wrinkling look like the cutting is rotting?

Thanks for any help and advise :o)

Comments (19)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of the wrinkling stem...

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

Were the cuttings callused before you planted them or did you cut it from the tree and stick it right into the soil?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was leaving town that night so I had no choice but to place the cutting (had not time to dry it out it for 3 days) so I placed in the soil right away...I was gone a week.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy!!

Some callas in plain perlite and or light mix, so that should be alright. It does look a little dehydrated, but some do look this way.

Do you have it in direct sunlight? As long as it gets good bottom heat, it should be fine.. I would mist and or give it a little water around the edge of the container...

Some do shrivel. Before they start to root.. Mist if you feel they are dry.

Keep us posted.. They should be fine...

Fast draining mix can take some water. Just a little.. Then once you see roots and or leaves 6-8 inches. Water. Remember. It can take 6-8 weeks to root. Sometimes as little as 4....

Good luck !!

Laura

PS. Lots of ways to callas.. So don't worry about it. Some growers do stick them right in the dirt. Most wait , but it still could be fine... ;-)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Laura!! You've been a great help... I panicked and removed it from the pot (very carefully) to see what's happening and I saw roots!!! I'll put it back and "let it ride" and hope for the best.

Do you think its going to be okay?

Here's the picture I took...

• tikitropic
    9 years ago

... Uh, I don't think that's roots. Looks like some sort of fungus to me.

Roots would be coming out the bottom of the cutting - around the cambium layer.

9 years ago

Is it soft, Nancy?

Does it look like it is rotting? Fungus as Doug mentioned?

I'd so, I would recut until I see clean wood and white latex. Let it callas and start over..

I'll wait until I hear back.. But if its is fungus and is rotting, you can still save it!!

;-)

Laura

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...it could very well be Fungus? I thought it was roots but now I'm doubting it...it is soft so I'm sure its rotting. I'll recut and callous it for several days and try again?

**sigh** maybe its too humid to root these in FL this time of year?

• Kenny
    9 years ago

From the pic above, I think it's fungus as well. Humidity is actually good for rooting, if the heat is too intense, I would bring the cuttings to a shaded place and root.

Here is what roots will look like.

9 years ago

Nancy,

Never to late, especially in Florida!!

Cut back to clean wood.. ( white) and let it callus.. Then pot up..

Pic above has nice roots starting to form.. Nice,Kenny. ( sorry). ;-)

It will work.. Try again, Nancy!!!

;-)

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 0:30

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

K2fl, thanks for the picture...that's very helpful! Once you calloused the end did you add rooting hormone or not? Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion...maybe I'll try it again...just not sure once its calloused do I still need to add rooting hormone or its not necessary onced it calloused over?

• Kenny
    9 years ago

Yes I added rooting hormone after I callused it. I know people who root without using rooting hormones. It's really up to you. Good luck!

Kenny

9 years ago

I also dip in rooting hormone with a little sulphur added since its not in the rooting powder anymore..

Kenny. I'm So sorry I called you Lonnie. It was late. My apologies ... Nice looking callus with root nubs. Sweet!! ;-).

Nancy. Some do dip.. Some don't.. I always did, so I stick with the way I have been rooting...

I hope you have good luck!!

Laura

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kenny and Laura...I've cut off all the rot...its nice and green...I'll let it callous for a few days and go from there. Appreciate all the help.

Kenny, one more question...once you potted it up in moist potting mix...when did you water it again? How long did it take to get to that point in your picture...to have roots/nubbins, thanks!!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I usually let cuttings callus for several weeks, not days. I think it might rot again. Just my opinion.

• Kenny
    9 years ago

Yes Dave is right. I callused mine for at least 2 weeks before potting them up for rooting. With your humidity it shouldn't be a problem getting a callus. Just make sure the white flesh is firm when you press on it with your finger. If it's soft you will need to recut. Then you can stick the cuttings in mulch for callusing.

That one in the pic took 2 weeks to form root nubs...but it was TLD so fairy an easy rooter. I've received a cutting that was not looking good but I made sure it has good callus before I root. Here's one I got early this summer

• Kenny
    9 years ago

I rooted it in shade then brought it out in full sun when leaves started to grow.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NICE!! Thanks for the advise...

How long did you wait to water it after the initial potting?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump...Hoping Kenny sees my question :o)

How long did you wait to water it after the initial potting?

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!