Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdb319

MPG mystery cutting finally bloomed

Hi Guys & Gals!

My cutting that I got from Maui Plumeria Gardens back in March has finally opened it's buds today (7/11). I thought it was gonna be red, but it turned out hot pink / fuchsia with an orange center. I can't really detect a scent other than floral. I have contacted Doug to help ID it.

Get read for picture spam-age!!

Almost there...

Yesterday, starting to open

And today, they are opened :)

Any ideas on what you think it might be??

Comments (28)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOO-HOO!!! Kim, that's just lovely!!! Very, very nice!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Whatever the name, it is beautiful! Thanks for letting us see your Mystery!

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

What a jackpot for a mystery cutting. What it is is a lovely red.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! After looking at the pictures and then looking at the actually blooms, I don't believe it captured its true color. It looks much much better in person. I will try to take more pictures later this evening when it sun isn't as bright and refelctive. I also noticed it has a vein from the center going half way down each petal too.

Also when I look at it, it makes me think of Josh Turner's song "Firecracker". LOL

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I LOVE your "FIRECRACKER..." BANG!!!

SHe is stunning!!

I bet it is even more eye popping in person. You must be sooooooooooooo happy!

Congratulations on a fine "mystery" cutting. You did hit the Jack Pot!!!

Awesome!!!

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

what ever it is it is beautiful!!

My guess based on the ones on MPG's site are
    Donald Angus Red
    Uncle Ron

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Its a beauty! I like Laura name for it" Firecracker Red". Barbra

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, that is what I was thinking of too, either a Donald Angus Red or Uncle Ron but you never know Doug has others as mystery's that isn't listed on his site.

I tried again to take pictures, I think this is the closest I'm gonna get to the real color. It just bugs me how it doesn't accurately capture it. :( I think it's scent it slowly coming into it, but I'm still not sure on what it smells like yet.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Well hello beautiful! I am in love! :) Can I take you home? LOL

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Hot, hot, hot!

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

That's a great color but if you think it isn't true have you tried adjusting individual colors in photoshop levels until you get it as close as you think it should be?
    I'd like to have one like that on my front lawn. It's a beauty.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!! I notice that orange center in the second set of pics, truly awesome!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

joerilloux, That's what I did for the second set. The camera kept capturing the hot pink lighter due to the reflection of the sun.
    , so I had to reduce the brightness in the magenta color in photoshop. ;)

Again thanks everyone. I was surprised to get such a colorful mystery.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Wow! That is one lovely mystery beauty! Congrats!

-Nicole

• beachplant
    11 years ago

A beauty for sure. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics.
    Tally HO!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Kim, Look at all those pics of your new baby !!! We couldn't tell your a proud Mom. Gorgeous !!! Peg

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peg, yes, I am very proud. :) I can't stop snapping pictures of it. I just wish I could figure out the scent. I even had my mom come out to sniff, she couldn't recognize it either.... its a mystery LOL.

Here is one more for the road after the sun went behind the trees. A bit more accurate.

• summerof66
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for the pics :)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

could be an EWC #3 which is a 4 inch version of a cerise that came from the East West Center of the University of Hawaii. It has a yellow or orange eye.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Could almost be Plastic Pink (AKA Royal Hawaiian) too.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the last photo that Kim says is "more accurate." Looks like Plastic Pink to me too...whatever it is, it's beautiful! Congrats!

Greg

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last night while I was browsing the internet, I came across Fuzzy's listing for plastic pink. I clicked it and thought it looks like mine so I went to flickr to search for more plastic pinks an I found this picture: Plumeria Plastic Pink , which it looks like an extact carbon copy of mine plus mine fits all the characteristics that Daves Garden lists except for the scent which I'm not to sure on yet. So I think it is indeed a Plastic Pink, weird though because I was eye ballin' that cultivar a month or so ago. LOL :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kim, you hit the jackpot with that mystery! WOW, what a gorgeous bloom!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!! I LOVE the true color even more. Sigh...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Just Beautiful....

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An updated photo of Plastic Pink / Royal Hawaiian. Sorry if some pictures are dark/gloomy, it just finished storming moments ago. ;)

Backside

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Oh Boy, I hope that's what my mystery cutting will look like?!!! I ordered several cuttings from MPG this year and received a mystery cutting also, my next purchase was Kimo seeds that are now sprouting!

I've always wanted Plastic Pink having stayed at the Royal Hawaiian, perfect name also for the plumeria you have!
    I never did see it growing there but I did see Singapore and Kauka Wilder trees in bloom!

Aloha, Stuart

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Kim
    What a beautiful mystery!!!! And your other blooms are beautiful as well. MPG is the bomb! I have a mystery I am rooting from them, I only hope its as gorgeous as yours!

Jackie

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County