Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattb2003

Plumeria flowers turning brown then dying

mattb2003
11 years ago

Hello,

I've tried to search on this, but couldn't find a post with exactly this problem. We planted our plumeria stem about 2 years ago, and it has been doing great! This season, the leaves have been growing really well and the plant seems to be doing well despite the dry weather we have here in Colorado. Last year we got about 4 flowers before the growing season ended, so we were excited to see what was going to happen this year. For some reason, the flowers start to grow, but then turn brown and die, either while they are starting to open or before. The picture above is the 4th flower that's doing this (the first 3 turned brown/black and then died). You can also see the other buds have brown spots on them (I apologize that the picture is so dark). The rest of the plant looks great! The leaves are green and a 4th stem is starting to branch off. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could tell us why the flowers are dying. We keep the plumeria outside during the summer and it gets lots of sunlight. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

My guess would be some sort of sucking insect like mites, thrip, etc. attack the young soft tissues.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

could you post a pic of the whole tree? seems a bit leggy to me.

what are the growing conditions of your plumie? potted, full sun, fertilizer, etc

• mattb2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the entire tree. As you can see in the picture it is potted (we're in Colorado). It gets pretty much full sun. We're at about 6,000 feet ASL and it's been around in the mid to high 90's as the high for the past few weeks. It's just starting to cool down now. I originally though that the sun was burning the flowers, but I'm not sure if this is even possible. For fertilizer, last year we used Miracle Grow Bloom Booster and it seemed to work really well, This year we did the same - once in May, and then again a few days ago (I thought it might help with the dying flowers, but doesn't seem to be making a difference). I've also tried spraying Bayer Natria (Insect Disease and Mite) but the first treatment didn't seem to stop the spread of the browning and flowers dying. This is the original soil it was planted in two years ago. We haven't changed the soil or pruned the tree at all, just have let it grow as is.

• pcput
    11 years ago

mattb, you know that is a funny place for an inflo to grow since it isn't growing from the tip. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Just a thought, Peg

• kasiec
    11 years ago

You mentioned that the tree have not been pruned, is that inflo from last season?

Kasie

• mattb2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is the same inflo from last season. Last season was the first season that we got flowers (we planted the year before).

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

From my experience, Miracle Grow is the worst fertilizer for long range plants, and especially plumerias. If you google, you will find articles on the negative effects of this formula. I do not know if that is your problem, but I would get away from that product. It is almost like plant crack. The plants grow really fast for a few years and then stops doing well. I know others that have had the same experience.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Matt, your plant looks like it's put all its energy into growing new branches, leaving little for that old inflo. I agree it's probably also being bothered by insects on that inflo.

Unfortunately, plumeria don't thrive in higher altitudes like yours. However, that's not to say yours won't continue to grow and bloom--it looks very healthy--but high altitude and low humidity just aren't ideal and you may find it doesn't live up to its potential. Heck, I've had bud drop on my young plants and I DO live in the ideal altitude/humidity range!

I hope it proves me wrong and blooms like crazy for you next year!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Your plant does look really healthy. I think if the damage is from bugs it may just have been too late to save the already dying flowers, and also sometimes my flowers die after being sprayed.

As jandey said, it could also just be a fluke where you just got bud drop for a reason known only to the plumie! I would keep an eye on it and just watch for any other symptoms. You might see what the recommended treatments are on your insecticide because I still tend to think it's from bugs, but that's just MHO :) if you follow the dosage it wouldn't hurt anything.

At some point this year or next it wouldn't hurt to check your root system, after 2-3 years the plant sure wouldn't be hurt by fresh soil / root prune or repot. Also, if you do feel you want to switch from Miracle Grow fertilizer many people are very happy with Foliage Pro, but there are others that are great as well.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!

• mattb2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All,

Thanks a ton for the input, I greatly appreciate it! I'll definitely check out some other types of fertilizer given the opinions regarding the Miracle Grow. I'll also research some other types of insecticides safe for the flowers, in case what I have is just not cutting it. In following some of these threads, I know that it's good to replant and prune, so I'll look at that after this growing season. I do know that Colorado isn't exactly ideal for Plumeria, but hopefully we can keep it growing.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks again for all of your help!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

well, its most likely b/c the inflo is from last season. none of my plumies ever had an inflo last that long. usually once the inflo is done blooming it dries up and falls off.

i used to use bloom booster, but now i just use regular Miracle Gro at half strength.

your plumie looks healthy.

• rachnaperu
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am writing from India. Following are the details of how

i pot planted the Plumeria and care routine(i am very new to gardening by the way).

Planting & fertilizer - I brought this plants at a local botanical garden around 10 days back and moved(planted) the plants to my pot at home.

Pot size is HxD - 45x 50 cmd

Plant Height - one 45cms and other plant 60cms

I basically filled the pot with a mix of soil, horse manure and organic manure(there was no proportion,just made the mix as i thought appropriate). Post planting i watered them moderately.

Lighting - Where i live the current temperature in day is 90 to 100 Fahrenheit and

at night 70 to 77 Fahrenheit. But i have kept the plant in shade where it get direct sunlight for max couple of hours only.

Water - I do not have any moisture meter as such so i just water them alternate days and moderately watering just to keep the soil well moist.

Problem - It was doing just fine and the buds were blooming well but since yesterday

i have seen the flowers turning brown(pics attached) at the centre and then falling off. This is happening to the new blooming flowers and they are not even blooming all the way.

So please let me know where the problem is and what am i doing wrong.

Thanks

rachna

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

I would look for spider mites, thrips or other sucking insect which are damaging the flowers while they are still in the bud stages.

• rachnaperu
    6 years ago

Thanks kms2

I have looked but there are no insects of any kinds that i could find. The plant is healthy. Surprisingly there was no browning of flowers yesterday. There was only couple of days when flowers turned brown and fell off the plant. Wonder what was the reason. Now again since 1 day its fine.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

I would keep a watch for any insects and have a treatment ready to go if needed.

• Robbin Cornell
    6 years ago

The browning is not from bugs. It is from getting too much water. I had the same problem. They like to be hot and dry and their roots do not like to sit in water. They will rot. If they are outside in the summer and you are experiencing a lot of rain, move them to a protected area. Good luck!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

UNDER watering in a hot climate is as chronic of a mistake. I think the original poster has probably gotten it resolved by now.

• HU-638492361
    4 years ago

Good morning from Perth Australia,

i have the same issue here in Australia. It started about a few days ago and my tree is dropping brown flowers. We have been fertilizing it for years, it is has grown more than double in size. Leaves looking great, no bugs, roots in tip top shape and leave thriving too? I am puzzled and you all might be able to help. What was the outcome from 2012; the original post? Thank you so much ; will post a picture below.

many thanks christina

• Jeannette Poules
    3 years ago

It is same for me, growing in in Egypt. The tree gets full son during morning hours, that moves away in the starting midday. I grew this tree for 18 months, before it started these blooms this month. None of them opened, they fall down with these brown edges. In the soil, I found a black-brownish tiny thin insect that moves very quickly and I can find it only when I stir the soil. I appreciate any help, thank you..

• Susan Prisaznick
    3 years ago

Help! I recently purchased a beautiful bridal bouquet. Some leaves have turned yellow and today many blooms dropped and others turning brown. Is it too much water? Too little? Did they not plant it deep enough? I went reputable nursery and questioned them when planting. Tomorow will be two weeks and I’m about to panic. In central Florida

• Susan Prisaznick
    3 years ago

• Susan Prisaznick
    3 years ago

• Susan Prisaznick
    3 years ago

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    3 years ago

To me this looks like sucking insect damage. I would put a layer of pine bark mulch to help cover the exposed roots, using a spray nozzle gently spray up on the undersides of the leaves to knock off insects and eggs and then spray with neem oil (do not leave plant in full sun after spraying).

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    3 years ago

Spray like this

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia