Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Laura, lay those plumerias down - storm might be coming?

Probably best to just lay all your plant flat on the ground? You probably have this all down by now.

Looks like there's a chance Arthur might be coming your way.

Stay safe! We really could use some rain here (but not wind).

Comments (22)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I'll definitely be laying mine down, that's for sure! But, I do have some in very large pots that will take some finagling or something to support trunk and branches. Maybe Laura has some suggestions.

I'm on my own since Hubs will be out of town. Can't see myself trying to get them inside. Half the roof is still out on my greenhouse and I'm afraid strong winds might take down more of it so I can't even drag them in there. 3 times in 4 years I've had roof probs.

When you build too close to absentee neighbors who don't take care of their property.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dave!!

Looks like the models are predicting it will hit us right as it turns out to the northeast. They say winds around 80 mph. Ugggg!!!

I will take in the small trees and the big guys will be watered so they will be heavy before the rain and wind hit. I will probably lay most of them down, but a few are to big.. The big ones are already tied to the decks, but I worry about breaking branches., Ill watch the weather. thanks for thinking of me!!

Mona.. Water before the storm... Lay them down if they are to big to bring inside.. You can even tie them together.

Good luck.. I'll be watching this closely....

Please.. Send it out to the east.. Go away, Arthur!!!!

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Boy I must have my head in the ground because I didn't realize this storm was going to even hit us.

This entire post is so ironic. This morning I woke up to 90% of all my plumeria, and my 3 fig trees, and 2 potted blue berry trees on the ground. Oh, and also one of my nice new orchids that has 2 nice big new growths was in my kitchen window....key word here is WAS! I found it on the kitchen floor and orchid bark/ medium all over!

Thankfully no damage to orchid or any of my trees and fruit trees! Now tonight we had a severe thunderstorm warning. Maximum sustained winds of 60 miles an hour!!! Thunder and lightning I think is over. The winds so far don't seem too bad. I just hope it doesn't pick up. I don't want my trees falling over. My in ground TM plumeria has a new inflo coming! I don't want the tiny buds breaking off...well who knows if they will even open! Taj is so stubborn with me when it comes to blooming!

Good luck to all of you who may be effected by this storm! Please keep us updated and stay safe!

Andrew

• beachplant
    9 years ago

I only had one plumeria go over in Hurricane Ike and that was because of the 4` of salt water in the yard.

Good luck everyone! Stay safe.

Make sure there are no trees above your plumeria, that was what did the most damage in our yard, falling trees and falling branches, the wind really blows them around.

Tally HO!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Tally - good point about nearby trees! I'm so obsessed with high winds that I had not yet thought about any nearby trees. Like after I posted that pic of my GH I don't think about trees??? lol

I have a row of plumies along one side that could get damaged by falling tree debris.

Laura - I'm thinking about using some wide stretch plastic to hold rows of plumies in place. I would attach it at one end of the fence, run it down the line and attach at the other end of the fence keeping them from blowing away/down. It's plastic like we use at the plant farm to cover carts when they're being shipped out. I would just have to remove it before the sun came out. But, I think that would be a big help. Give me your thoughts on this idea, please!

Andrew - I'm so glad your plants were not damaged.
    Good luck to you, too!

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Good luck, friends. I hope the storm heads east and that you and yours stay safe from harm.

9 years ago

Hi Mona!!

Sounds like a plan, but I would also make sure each tree is supported either by weaving some twine along the fence line to secure each tree. If they are all covered by the plastic, I dont see what will protect if the wind comes and makes them sway or fall down the whole side? If you have a chain link fence or deck fence. I would try and take something and secure each main stem to the fence and then cover. I know it's a lot of work. But keep an eye on the storm. It seems like it might pass us to the right and you are more inland then me. So.. You might be alright.

Good luck!!!

Laura

Thanks Gidgetsocal.. ;-)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I'm hoping we'll be alright Laura! This is the first time I've really worried since my trees have gotten bigger.

Thanks for the advice!

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Thanks Mona. Last year I had some minor damage from severe storms but the worst damage was caused by myself, even though I couldn't help it. It was right after my most recent back surgery. My right leg was completely numb, and I fell on my JJ Christina and also my JJ orange. I snapped some really nice tips. I was so mad! LOL!

Andrew

9 years ago

I was just outside at 4 am watering my containers. We had another front pass by and this has nothing to do with Arthur.. Argh.

Starting to worry...

You are in a spot that could get those winds too!

Mandatory evacuations in Hatteras ,, Not fun!

I'll be thinking of you. I did put around thirty little ones in the greenhouse.

The neighbors are talking now.. Lol. ". Who cares". Lol!! ;-)

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, looks like you will likely be OK -- on the 'calmer' and dryer side of the storm if models come true.

Hope that's the case. We were hoping to get some rain from this, but probably won't even see clouds.

9 years ago

Thanks Dave... I hope and pray you are right.

The winds have already started and things are blowing over. I have watered and will water again to weight them down. Little guys are going inside and I will reinforce the branches tied to the deck.

We shall see..

Good luck everyone!!

Laura

9 years ago

Yikes...

Laura

• lazybonz
    9 years ago

Summertime is my favorite time of year but hurricanes can spoil the fun for sure.
    We're lucky to get early warnings--though the science of tracking is imprecise, still..
    I hope everyone and their plants weather the storm unscathed!

• rox146
    9 years ago

keeping fingers crossed for you...roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Laura - I've got most of mine all tucked in tight, I hope. There's still some things to do in the yard because I didn't get off work until 5. I spent all day putting things up at the Garden Shop where I work. It's going to be a mess there... it always is, even with regular ole storms. It's surrounded by open fields. I can see myself spending a great deal of time picking up trees and shrubs tomorrow. But, I'm hoping that none of them will be my plumerias! Oh yeah... everyone else from work is at the beach for the weekend. I got left behind. Not so bad, I'm thinking! lol

Good luck and batten down the hatches!

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Just checking in...hoping you all are okay! Please give an update when you can.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Hi gidget, thank you for asking!

Although winds got up to 100 mph, it was basically a non-event for us. We may have got an inch of rain. but we were under a tornado warning for a short time last night as the first ban of rain spun up some circulation. It didn't \turn into anything.

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Whew! Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you weathered the storm okay, Moonie!

9 years ago

Hi Everyone!!

Long day of cleaning up, but it is all done!!

Branches down from the high winds ( pine trees) and lots of debris I. The pool.. Normal hurricane clean up day.. No damage to the house or Plumeria trees!! ;-)

Didn't lose my glasses this hurricane , Andrew!! Lol. Good memory!!!

I'm glad I brought in around 50 trees... They larger ones did fine tied to the railing of the deck. I put some on the ground after I watered them so they were heavy. Worked great!! No damage or any broken branches.. So I'm very happy!! The wind and heat made them dry out again.. Lots of watering again this afternoon. They are very thirsty. The wind really dehydrates them.

I brought in the house a few special ones that have inflos. One was my Desert Sunrise. JL Dane is pushing too, so it had a reserved spot inside as well..

Fifty went inside the greenhouse ..

Long day, but worth it!!

Glad everyone made it through with little or no damage!!

Take care!!

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Laura - you must be exhausted from all that moving, but sounds like it was totally worth it! Happy you made it through okay!

I hope the Plumie Gods bless all of you with extra special blooms for the worry you had to endure.

Happy Fourth of July!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, thanks for the good report. Did anyone lose power down there?

We had a nice 2" rain from a front 'associated' with the storm. Then very windy on the Fourth. I had several plants blow over! After all the warning I gave you. LOL! We really needed the rain though. Can't remember such nice weather on the Fourth before. Not stinkin' hot and humid.