Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minihamsters

Rooting a cutting

MiniHamsters
10 years ago

Hello! I'm new to plumerias and this forum. I just bought a cutting, but I'm not sure how to root it, the owner said to let it dry for a couple days and then pot it. Should I do this or should I use rooting hormone? Thanks!

Here's a picture.

Comments (13)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

There is so much knowledge on this on this forum, but the Texas 101 would be to remove the leaves and the bloom. Let the cutting callus over. Dip in water then dip in root hormone. Pot in a potting mix 4 inches deep( cheapest )1/3 miracle grow, 2/3 perlite) water once. Put outside on the hot sidewalk. Best if it gets hot sun in the morning and in the late afternoon gets dapple sun. DO NOT WATER, and make sure the rain doesn't get to it. Once you see claws, then you can spray water on just the stem, do not water the soil mixture, or the plant will rot. Once you see full sets of leaves then you can water the plant and repot in another potting mixture for plumeria plants. If you are planning on growing plumeria and getting more cuttings, then you might invest in making the gritty mix for rooting cuttings. Barbra

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

honeybunny gave great advice.

It looks like a Hilo Beauty.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

I agree with Dave, that looks like a HILO BEAUTY. That s very difficult to root. It can take longer than 6 months. I would pay somebody to graft it for me if I was you. Dark reds do better grafted.

George

• plumejunkie
    10 years ago

I HIGHLY suggest people start experimenting with a combination of: aloe - fresh gel from a fillet if you can get it (at least 2 table spoons), you can use powdered aloe if needed....fulvic acid, potassium silicate (agisil 16 is the best), b1, and blackstrap molasses.

In my experience, it has outperformed every gel or rooting powder I've ever tried!!! Give it a try on a cheep cut, bet you'll use it after on a hard to root cut..... ;)

Peace & happy growing,
    Jason

• plumejunkie
    10 years ago

@ mini- I think honey bunny has a lot of good things to say!
    Man, there are many methods of rooting available to us, you should pick the one that you like best.

There's water rooting, bag rooting, egg rooting, rooting in a clear plastic pot with holes in the bottom, & combinations of them all.

Talk to lots of people, figure out what you think will be best for you!
    Just get a really good mix to start, & that will put you on the path of the yellow brick road, it will make EVERYTHING easier!

I agree with honey bunny about cutting the inflow. Think about it, you already know what color it is, & the plant could be using the energy it's using to make flowers.......to make roots! Your choice, but me & honey bunny think alike in that respect.

Me personally, I like to put a fresh cut on the bottom with a steralized razor blade, then hit a few cuts along the bottom 3 - 4 inches with a sterilized potatoe peeler to provide more sites for rooting. Then I put it in my nutrient mix I mentioned earlier. Just my opinion.

I've only been growing for 8 years & there are many people on here who are MUCH more knowledgable than me!

Do your research, find what's best for you, make it happen, & don't quit asking questions if you run into difficulty!

& post more pics..... :P

Peace

• loveplumies
    10 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you. I have 3 cuttings and I'm looking to see what I should do. I've been told to let it dry 2-3 weeks then plant. I've also been told that after letting it dry for 2 weeks, to cut 4 inches then plant in soil. I'm confused. I then see a video where it says to cut, dip in root hormone and plant in soil. I think I'm doing the latter.

• plumejunkie
    10 years ago

@ love plumies - there's a ton of different ways to root a cutting. Do the research, figure out what you like best, & give it a shot.

It's best to practice on cheep cuttings till you get your technique down, if you can.

If you decide to use a mix instead of water rooting, make sure it's a good fast draining one!

There's lots of SUPER knowledgable people on this forum, it's a great resource to draw from!
    Good luck!

Peace

• MiniHamsters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information, and where should I cut off the inflow from?
    Thanks again!
    Mary

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Loveplumies-the cutting should be allowed to callus for 2 weeks and then be potted about 4" deep, no additional cutting. The callus that has developed will protect the cutting from rotting so it is really important to let a callus develop or you signficantly increase your chances of rot.

Many of us dip in rooting hormone right after cutting and/or right before planting. It is not as critical as the callus.

Pot up in a well draining soil and small clear container (water bottles are popular). Water in once and don't water again until you see roots in your container.

Let us know if you have more questions!

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi Minihamsters - cut the inflo, leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 of the stem on the plant. Put your cut inflo into a glass of water and enjoy the rest of the bloom. Make sure you change the water every two days or so. Please let us know how many days of enjoyment you get from the blooms in water...enjoy and happy growing.

Kasie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Great info!!!

Barbra has great advise as well as many others.

I would cut all of the leaves off ASAP to retain moisture in the cutting. No need for the cutting to give what it has left to the leaves that are going to dry up and fall off anyway. Cut at the base of the leaf and leave 1/2 inch of the stem. Think of the large center base cutting with little 1/2 inch nubs... ( Those will be the nubs from where you cut the leaves off) It will eventually dry up and fall away from the main stem. Cut the inflo. I also like to dip my cutting in Roottone let callas. Lots of wonderful information.

If you choose to make it easy on yourself.. Relax and enjoy. Some times you read so many things and you can become overwhelmed with so many ways of rooting etc.

If you choose to send it off to be grafted, Florida colors is the best...

If you read from others... Let it callas for 7-10 days then pot up. Leave it alone like Barbra said. After the initial potting up water once and leave it be.
    Bottom heat is the key... No heavy rain until it has leaves 4-6 inches. Keep it protected from rain. If you must .. You can mist every 10 days.

Have fun.. Don't get to worried.,,,

If this does' t work, then try another that is known to be an easy rooting tree like a Celadine.

I hope this one does well for you... She is a beauty!!

Congratulations on a fine looking cutting!!!

Let us know what you decide

Enjoy!!!

Laura

• MiniHamsters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cut off the inflow and most of the leaves, but it is wrinkly and a little soft. Is this Ok? Other than that it looks good.

Mary

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Could be dehydrated.

Mima