Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Lavender Purple Plumeria

No-Clue
11 years ago

Hi,

I really want JL Metallica but I am thinking due to my location I will never see the true color that it's known for. I don't want to get excited and then disappointed when it turned out pink and not lavender due to the coastal weather. I'm 6 miles way from the closest beach.

If you have any lavender or purple plumeria and you're living near the coast, can you please share your experience and pictures? Thank you!!

Comments (36)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Lynn, you are sick. This one needs heat and humidity to bring out the color and it has not impressed me here in California. Where you live can get hot and humid in August for a few monsoonal days but where I live it is not purple. I think James had the same experience at his plot in Long Beach if I recall. Just a reminder, you are moving and anything you buy you have to get a babysitter for.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL Bill. Must you be the voice of reason? Between you and Jon @ JJ's you guys are not going to let me buy any more huh?

Well my justification is... JL Metallica will be small... I should be able to fit it in somewhere. :) If I don't buy that I'm going to buy Cherokee Geisha and knowing Jon he might not let me buy it until after I moved! Sigh...

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I bought musk rainbow because Carol recommended it. We have similar growing conditions. I saw JL Metallica in bloom in Corpus Christi, and it was just beautiful. We have the heat in texas to give us the lavender purple colors. Have you seen all the blue, purple and gray plumeria cutting on Ebay?

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

honeybunny2, did you happen to take any photos of the JL Metallica in Corpus? The ones I saw on Jim Little's ebay offerings in Oahu weren't lavender purple, but Oahu doesn't get near as hot as Corpus. Were those in Corpus a deeper color than the one in the link I've provided?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Little's ebay sales

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

What I remember is that it was almost a silvery lavender color. The bloom was large, and Frank said it was his favorite plumeria. It was beautiful! Corpus is having their PSA sale on 7-21st. If I can find a bloom, I will take a picture of it. Barbra

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    JL Metalica is one of the few that will turn lavender in lower heat like the low to mid 80s, other wise it will like pinkish lavender. I also have a 8ft tall Purple Jack that looks purple Mauve with strong Lavender unless there is heat over 85 to 90s. I posted pics of my JL Metalica on another thread, one from cooker temps in fall and one in mid 80 degree temps and it is lavender grey.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honey, I have not seen other lavender cuttings on Ebay... I have my heart set on JL Metallica.

Freak, I think I can live w/ the pinkish lavender. I was worried it would just stay pink w/ no tint of lavender whatsoever. We get to low to mide 80s in July, Aug, Sept. Then high 70s in Oct and then cooler after that.

So that means I SHOULD get JL Metallica then! :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I saw JL Metallica in May. Frank was still replanting his plumeria plants outside from winter storage.I ordered a rooted cutting of Metallica from him. I was told that Jack's Purple and Black Tiger did not bloom well in our Texas heat. Do you think Purple Jack would bloom well here?I would also love to know if Black Tiger would bloom well here. I did not buy them, but really love their colors. Barbra

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Hi James - I was at Becky's house last week and she picked a Purple Jack bloom for me...it smells really nice. And the color was super nice as well. A couple of hours later the scent was much stronger, almost like grape coolaid.

Even though I did not bid on Ebay, I told Becky that it was exciting to see who is bidding (high roller) on ebay back then :)

Are you still in Barcelona?

Kasie

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    Here is pics of the side of my Apartment complex I own, there are plumies all along the 6ft Cinder Block fence. Purple Jack is the one blooming next to the Celadine. I took the pics with my Iphone the day before I left for Spain so June 20th. It had been in around 72 to 75 and was overcast that week during the early part of the day till noon. The colors are not that true but in person it was definitely registering Mauve/Pink/Lavender in color, if you look at some of the blooms you will notice they do look more Mauve purple. I also have pic of just the purple jack section of the fence and the Jeannie M. With more heat the flowers do turn Lavender/grey. Took the pic from my the stair of my other Apartment complex (also have some plumies there..lol.)

Kasie,
    Were you at Becky Sue's in Riverside?
    I am now in Ibiza till the 19th, then off to Sitges and may try to go by London to catch the Olympics for 5 days but may just come back to LA.
    Cheers

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    Congrats on your JL Metalica!!! Just remember at some point in time you will end up with huge trees, so plan wisely. Once the season is fully under way by Late July my patch will be fully leafed out and in full bloom. I am lucky that the tenants do not complain about the plumies taking up their space on their patios and walk ways. I personally try to go once or twice a week to water and check on them.

Congrats again.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

What beautiful plumeria plants. Mine are just babies, I can't wait until they grow. Love the story about the JL Metallica cutting, sounds like something I would have done. I am tempted to buy rooted cuttings from ebay. I decided I need to take care of what I already have. Gosh I wish we had your weather, it was in the high 90's all last week. Barbra

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys! I'm still stunned that I bought it. But I am happy with my new purchase. I mean it was late last night when I found out so technically it will count toward this week's purchase. So if I don't buy anymore this week... it should be ok. How's that for justification? :)

Regarding space I actually have two issues. Short term I'm going into a tiny apt w/ a tiny patio. So I might have to leave my plumies with my sister or something which makes me very very sad. Long term our new house won't have a big yard. In my defense I was going for the location and new construction and at the time big back yard wasn't high on my list. Until I feel in love w/ Plumerias and now Bill said I need the size of a VW's per tree! So I'm going to have to be very selective when I buy more.

Now couldn't I keep cutting the branches to keep them from growing too big? Has anyone trying doing that? If not then I will just have to give some away when that time comes.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    Well if I were you I would not repot your plumies. If you keep the plants in the same 1 or 2 gal pots they will not grow that fast. I have a JJ's Christina that I purchased in 2007 that was just transplanted into a 5 gal pot from its orginal 1 gal, so basically 5 yrs in a 1 gal pot. It barely grew but did put out an inflo this season before I transplanted it into the 5 gal. I have other plumies that have been in their original pot for over 8 yrs. So unless its going to be longer then 5yrs I think your collection will be ok. If you transplant to a larger pot every other year or so the plumie will grow about a foot or more in a season. cheers

• kasiec
    11 years ago

NC - you are too funny. That's like don't scratch your head or wave to someone during auction...or you'll hear "SOLD!" to that lady with the iPad :-)

Your plumie patch is awesome James!! Yes I was at Beckysue's in Riverside and she is such a sweet lady. It was one of those moment when some thing happens that takes you to the next step...a plumie bloom for the first time in 6 years and it was not what I bought. So I looked up MPG to see who may be selling...saw Beckysue's thread on free to good home...and that's how it ended...I met Beckysue for the first time.

Have fun traveling James. Life is too short and precious. Enjoy!!

Kasie

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Freak... I will keep that in mind. So unless my plants are about to tip over I will not repot! To be honest... I'm scared to repot them anyway... in case I kill or hurt them somehow. So that's a good suggestion.

Kasie - LOL yes I better not move at all if I'm ever at an auction. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

LOL

NC - that's a very good story. We have to give you credit for such an incredible imagination to come up with a story like that. Save it for all your loved ones that think you've gone crazy. WE understand! LOL

Just kidding... (although I think this is your SECOND accidental purchase?) :)

I've never accidentally bought anything but have missed out by placing my bid at the last moment, only to find I haven't logged in yet. That's happened a few times actually.

Congrats on your JL Metallica! Can I buy a cutting in a few years? :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie, did I accidentally buy another? I don't remember! LOL...

Yes of course I will send you all cuttings of whatever I have. Just pray I don't kill them first. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

NC - Yes, you did. LOL I specifically remember because I had been pondering a Duvauchelle from Brads and then you posted that you had accidentally bought a cutting and I wondered if it was a rooted one or unrooted. Yes, I do remember it very well. LOL

It's just so easy for those kind of things to happen! :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah that one! LOL I wanted a ROOTED plant but I bid on the cutting by mistake. I am not banking on that one rooting... since I have zero experience or confidence... especially on a red cutting no less. I would laugh so hard IF it does root though. Haha...

Are you saying BBB has a rooted plant?? Well if mine doesn't root then I shall buy from him. I don't think I have a red plant yet. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

NC - I'm not sure if it was rooted or grafted. I'm thinking it was rooted and can't remember why I didn't order it already.

I have confidence that it's going to root for you! Just be patient. I'm still waiting on my Kauka Wilder and Katie Moragne to show some root.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Rooted. I just checked.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I have Kauka Wilder on my wishlist! Bill said it smells like coconut tanning lotion. Sounds yummy. But I'm done for the week... maybe next week heh? LOL

Thanks for checking for me. Where did you get your cuttings? Have you managed to root many?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

NC - I got both Kauka Wilder and Katie from FC. They are the only unrooted cuttings I've had that haven't rooted yet. Well, there may be some tiny roots but nothing that has grown out to the edge of the clear plastic bottle where I can see roots.

I love rooting cuttings. It's exciting waiting to do them yourselves but it can also be nailbitting when you get a slow rooter and fear that something may be wrong

Both cuttings are firm and seem to be in good shape. Stuart said to be patient, KW is well worth the wait! :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good luck w/ both Moonie. Keep us posted. I might go that route soon. I need to practice on something that's easy to root to build my confidence first! LOL

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I'll see if any of the purple are in bloom at Larry's or Emersons on Friday and take pics, both are close enough to the bay that they had flooding in Ike. I am just about 5 blocks off the beach and it has never been an issue. We are hotter in summer and more humid I think then you are.
    I know Larry had a purple in bloom a couple of weeks ago.

Usually my plummies are in the ground, how do you keep them in the same pots every year? I have to repot mine almost every year. Luckily we had a mild winter last year cause a couple are now firmly rooted through the pots into the ground.
    Tally HO!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Just had to bring this one back up to the top as I was researching purple jack!! Really thinking about this one as I think it would do great in the Texas heat!

Freak,
    Such as beautiful bloom and great color! The pic of you plot is truly amazing sir!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Shane,
    This was a 2 yr old thread..lol. If your mom's coming to LA still, let me know and I can give her a cutting. Purple Jack flowers are large, very prolific bloomer. My new fav Purple plumie is my Violet Star.
    Did you use to have JL Metallica?

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 16:42

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Yes sir she is still coming on her trip and I think she is heading out in a week or so and will be there for almost two weeks. I knew the thread was older but didn't know it was that old! lol! I bet your plot is even more beautiful now!

I would love a cutting or the purple jack and would be happy to pay you for it! Thank you very much and it is very appreciated. Just let me know!

• samuraiseeds
    9 years ago

hello all, I have enjoyed reading and looking here for amny years and finally thought I would join and share some pics you might assist me in verifying what they are, after seeing a pic of '' metallica'' mine is so different than shown here I may have to inform those who I have sold or gifted to that they may be something else. The '' Richards star came from ''richlins and was blooming, and since its his seedling that's a given and wondered if anyone else had one. its not a real generous bloomer, at least for me and im using very good nutrition including high phos bat guanos which have produced great blooms on the 56 other named I have. my '' mettalica came from a lady in texas, she after paying huge $ for it shared a cutting after it grew enough to do so. but it sure doesn't look like the one I saw here . does anyone else have one looking like mine? I love the color for sure but would appreciate any feedback from the group. BTW the purple one is a beauty. I took so long during the joining phase I forgot who it was. thanks again for the great photos and reading.

• samuraiseeds
    9 years ago

my photo of my mettalica didn't show so here it is, thanks again . G~

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Samurai, there's a JL Metallica and there's an unrelated Thai variety called Mattalica. Yours looks like the Thai, which is still beautiful, but hotter colors.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

I agree with Jen. Your plumie looks like the Thai Mattalica, no JL's Metallica.
    If you live in a hot climate then it should look gorgeous. I would notify the people you sold and gifted your plumie to.

Cheers

• Richard
    6 years ago

Bringing this back from the dead. I want to see a real deal JL Metallica. Especially if you are in Texas

• edzone9
    6 years ago

This is my JLM when I lived in Zone 9 St Augustine FL

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz