Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Air Layering Plumeria

jodik_gw
9 years ago

Hello, fellow Plumeria growers...

I have a few questions, and would really appreciate a little help and/or input. I'm in zone 5, Northern IL.

Several years ago, I was gifted with a Plumeria cutting, which I successfully rooted... under questionable growing circumstances, I might add, but it rooted and grew.

Now, several years later, I'm experiencing its very first bloom, but the stem, or trunk, is too tall and lanky... and I'm afraid it won't make it through this next winter and may break under the weight of its palm tree-like top.

The top part of the stem is thicker and healthier than the lower part due to growing environment issues and other variables that were, for the most part, out of my control.

My question is... can I air-layer this plant now, while it's blooming... and it's already the end of July... or should I do my best to wait until spring of next growing season?

I have done a bit of research on air-layering, and I see it can be done to Plumeria successfully, but the examples are mostly plants that are grown in Florida, or the west coast where it's much warmer with different overall climate and seasons.

The technique I've come across involves peeling away the outer "bark" of the stem with a potato peeler, then wrapping the peeled ring area in moistened sphagnum moss, and enclosing that within plastic wrap, tied or taped at top and bottom.

Is that the type of technique any of you would suggest, and could it be successful now, at this time in the season, in zone 5, while it's still blooming?

Can anyone please help with me my air-layering dilemma? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I have always just cut and rooted. The benefit to that the rooted part can go ahead re sprout new branches at the cut while your cutting is rooting. I dont know if that would happen if you are air layering or not. You may be ahead of the rooting process by a few weeks by not having to let a cutting dry out but I dont know that either. You also can run the risk of the plant rotting at the air layer so that something to think about. Either way you should start the process now and probably abort the inflo too.

mike

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mike.. I appreciate your input.

The plant has been blooming for the past couple of weeks or so, and since this is the first time I've seen it bloom, I hesitate to cut off the flowering parts...

However, I think your suggestion of just cutting it off and rooting the top part is a much better idea than perhaps risking rot in the air-layering process, and losing both top and bottom.

I don't know why I didn't think of simply cutting it and rooting... perhaps because the "tree" is so tall... or perhaps I've been so worried about losing it that the simplest solution just didn't occur to me... or something!

But anyway... thanks again! Much appreciated!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

hi Jodi!!

Another thought. Stake the tree and enjoy the blooms for the rest of the summer. Then next spring / summer cut center part out and graft back to the tree!!

Just a thought. I'm working so I just had a second to reply

Be back later!!

Nice to see you!!

ðÂÂÂ

Laura

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Laura, for your input... I've never air-layered or grafted, and quite frankly, the thought is a little scary to me. I don't want to lose this plant. It's one you gifted me with, and I'm enjoying it so much! Thank you! :-)

The flowers are a beautiful white, and the scent is wonderful! Coincidentally, it opened its first bloom on my son and daughter-in-law's Anniversary!

I do have it staked, but it still seems rather unstable and top heavy... it also needs a re-pot, but when I saw the inflo starting, I decided to leave it alone until it actually flowered. I didn't want to chance that it might abort blooming.

It finally has the light it needs, and much better humidity in which to grow during active season.

I think I will upgrade the stake to a stronger one, and give it until spring before attempting anything drastic!

Thanks, Laura! :-)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms