Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Graft seperated, can I callus & root it without cutting square?

Posted by NJZ7 6 and 3/4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:46

I just received a grafted plumeria plant, Lava Flow, that separated at the graft.

The seller is replacing it for me free of charge so that is no problem.

I would like to try callusing and rooting the scion section, but it is cut on a diagonal slant.

The cutting is about 6 inches long now; if I square off the cut end it will be about 4 inches long.

Can I callus and try to root the cutting without cutting the diagonal end square?

Is there any particular brand or strength of rooting hormone recommended for plumeria? This would be my first attempt at rooting a cutting.

Thanks,
Ron

This post was edited by NJZ7 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Graft seperated, can I callus & root it without cutting squar

• Posted by NJZ7 6 and 3/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:07

Picture added

o

• Posted by NJZ7 6 and 3/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:14

Another picture.

o

With it being so small I would just root as is. If this were early spring, and it had a lot of mass or length I'd maybe re-cut to a flat base. Good luck!

o

I'd recut and try to regraft it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Josh

o

At this point every cut you make means more precious latex lost to the small cutting. I thinks it's too late after being taken off the original plant to try re-grafting.

o

I would plant it as-is. Can't hurt!

o

Hi Ron - That looks to be well callused. So I would re-root as is in a clear cup or water bottle with holes punched out at the bottom. This way you can monitor the rooting activity without having the urge to lift out the cutting to check for roots. The bottom portion with roots is probably a seedling. You can pot that up. It will most like produce 2 or more tips and form a small tree. Good luck to you.

~Kasie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here