Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvpatch2

Plumeria leaves yellowing in summer

luvpatch2
11 years ago

Hi! I have a plumeria that is approx 10 years old .It has been healthy all summer with beautiful white blooms. Now the leaves are turning a mottled yellow/green then all yellow. The flowers are healthy. It started off slowly with only a couple of leaves a day, but now it seems to be rapidly progressing with lots of leaves doing this. The plant shouldn't be going dormant in the summer. Any suggestions to what has happened? I fertilize it with Nutra Star plumeria food. I dont' see any insects on the leaves even with a microscope. Thanks for any help!

Comments (14)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

have you had a lot of rain lately? I've had this problem in late summer when it rained for weeks at a time.
    Tally HO!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Luvpatch - by chance can you post a picture?

That could be a few things but I would start by thinking about how much water and drainage the plant has - how often are you watering? How often are you fertilizing? Too much water can make them yellow.

Insects, even with a microscope can escape your eyes.

Have you checked the root system to see if it's root bound or has any issues?

Let's talk about some of these possibilities and maybe someone else can chime in with better info as well, maybe we can figure this out!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

beachplant, me too - we had a lot of rain and 2 of my older plants were getting drenched from runoff from the roof where I had put them to shield them, but they got WAY too much and their leaves are yellowing big time. I've just put them back in the sun & will let them dry out really well.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Are we talking the lower leaves or all over? When it rains a lot of the plants put on new leaves, especially in high summer, and shed the old lower leaves. Mine are doing the same right now, same as last summer.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

I agree with Jennifer. If your plant gets a good growing spurt due to rain, fertilizing, or more sun they will often surge forth with new leaves and dump the lower leaves. I see this over the next few months every year depending on the variety (ie. Celadine does this for me when the fog clears and the sun is longer). I have noticed that unexpected rain (in Calif) triggers this in some plants. I just pluck off the yellow leaves and let the plant continue.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I agree if its leaves dropping from the bottom up. Especially on a mature tree like that. If its all over then i say its likely to be sucking insects like spider mites.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

check the trunk and branches, make sure they are all firm.

how wet is the soil?

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I'm glad I came across this post, I was worried about my plumeria dropping bottom leaves,it has been putting out new leaves like crazy so I guess its doing ok and I was spending to much time worrying about it

• luvpatch2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The leaves are yellowing from the bottom up . HOuston has had a lot of rain lately so that might also be contributing. And there are new leaves on the top. I will just keep an eye on it. It probably is just dropping old leaves for new leaves. I have 8 other plumeria plants in the back yard and so far they aren't affected at all. Thanks again!

• Juliesnangel
    9 years ago

I have 3 plumeria plants, they are only about 6 months old. One is blooming :). In the past week, they seem to be turning from a dark vibrant green to a more green/yellow tint. One has top leaves yellowish with spotty green. They are about 20-24 inches high in one gallons pots. They get full Sun/heat for a minimum of 7 hours. If it rains a lot, I move back so they get no water, but still full sun and heat. Have not fertilized since they were planted. Can you tell me what's going on? And or how to upload pictures?

• Juliesnangel
    9 years ago

I have 3 plumeria plants, they are only about 6 months old. One is blooming :). In the past week, they seem to be turning from a dark vibrant green to a more green/yellow tint. One has top leaves yellowish with spotty green. They are about 20-24 inches high in one gallons pots. They get full Sun/heat for a minimum of 7 hours. If it rains a lot, I move back so they get no water, but still full sun and heat. Have not fertilized since they were planted. Can you tell me what's going on? And or how to upload pictures?

• Jean Nicolson
    3 years ago

Should my plumerias be in a ceramic pot or plastic. This is my first try with this

• HU-289595742
    3 years ago

My plumerias, potted and in ground, have little white bugs. Started about 2 weeks ago. Have tried spraying soapy water, but isn't helping. What can I do?

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jean,

I just saw this. I suggest in the future starting your own post to make unanswered questions more visible. Also, original posters sometimes do not like their post reused but a quick answer: there are probably 10 million answers to your question as each type of pot has good things and bad things.

The Plumeria Society of America recommends (see the link below) using the rigid variety of black plastic nursery containers with at least four drainage holes and in an appropriate size, such as 1 gallon, 2 gal., 3 gal., 5 gal. etc. Dark ceramic colors may heat up the plant too much and cook the roots so, if you prefer ceramics, consider using white (or light colored) ceramic pots. Ceramic pots are heavy and can minimize the chances of wind toppling the plant. But they can sometimes loose moisture easily so you have to monitor soil moisture. You can also plant the plumeria in a black plastic pot and then bury the plant in the soil of your garden. For pot size of new plants, consider this typical suggestion: 1 gallon for every foot of stalk or trunk. Does that help you?

More info in the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H358AsToD8k

https://theplumeriasociety.org/wp-content/plugins/pdfjs-viewer-shortcode/pdfjs/web/viewer.php?file=https://theplumeriasociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Soil-Mix-and-Containers.pdf&dButton=true&pButton=true&oButton=false&v=1.5.1#zoom=auto

HU-289595742,

I just saw this. I suggest in the future starting your own post to make unanswered questions more visible. Also, original posters sometimes do not like their post reused but a quick answer: hard to diagnose without many pictures so, please start a new post and attach pictures of the plant, of one (or several) infected leaf and a real close-up picture of the pest (the best close-up you can take with your camera). Or cut a piece of leaf and take it to a local plant nursery in a sealed, transparent, plastic bag for identification. Common pests include aphids, scale and mealy bugs (you could check online pictures of these pests against what you see in the garden). Does that help you?

Luis