Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Help Identify 2 Beauties from Kauai & Naming Tips

georgecc
10 years ago

Hi All,

A friend of mine got cuttings for two beautiful flowers from an old lady in Kauai, from her garden. She didn't have names for them. He would love some help trying to identify them.

And if they can't be identified, do you all have some tips on how you go about naming and/or registering them?

The first is a really beautiful red - about 2.5"-2.75" flowers. I've taken so many photos and none do them true justice (I know this doesn't help in naming it, but reds are so hard to photograph well, and this is a deep but not dark one).

The flowers are an intense crimson, with a velvety texture. There are very light hints of violet and purple and deep magenta, and when it's darker outside it looks crimson and scarlet - but regardless, this is a really red, really beautiful smaller flower, with a nice fruity and spicy scent.

I've been calling it Mystery Kauai Crimson (MKC).

{{gwi:1184168}}

The second is a beautiful orange. Very pure. It starts out deep orange, then turns a beautiful medium orange, then an orangy yellow when it fades. It has a fresh peachy scent. Also about 2.5" to 2.75". I've been calling this one Mystery Kauai Orange (MKO).

This is a pic showing how it's only yellow when the older flowers are fading.

I've compared it to a number of orangy flowers, but none seems quite it. It may be closest to Kaleinani, but still seems different enough. Any other ideas?

Oh, and if that's not enough, they both seem to be good bloomers.

My friend has a few of the red available and rooted, but no more orange this year.

If the flowers aren't named, what is the process for registering and naming them?

Thank you all

Comments (20)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Simi, how about naming them after the town or area where the tree is found?

"Hanapepe Red" or "Princeville Orange" etc.

I (and others here in the Austin/San Antonio plumeria group) already have an unofficial "Poipu Beach Orange" so keep on moving down the list :)

the psa has a " how to" on their website for registration.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's my friend's to name (if it turns out it's not already named), but good idea, I'll suggest it to him. The view from the bluff at Princeville may be the most beautiful view I've ever seen - with those supersaturated colors looking down at Hanalei Bay with the mountains and Na Pali behind them, it's my computer desktop pic. Wish I was there!

Oh, the color of the red plumie is redder than in the pics, but the colors of the orange one are very accurate in the pics.

• rox146
    10 years ago

well, Simidude, those are worth booking a trip to Kauai to get.. :-) roxanne

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think so, too, Roxanne (not that there are many reasons for NOT wanting to book a trip to Kauai, LOL). The red is one of my favorite reds now, and the orange is lovely.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

yup its a show stopper view. We have stayed in Princeville a few times but always preferred the south shore around the Poipu beach area.

Put me in the "buy" line for the first availble cutting of the MKC and MKO...please :)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Me too...we are up for a trip to Poipu...we have always stayed at the Waiohai...but not since the last hurricane blew thru the lobby. I love to see all the different Plumerias and now it is so easy to get the ag. to okay them thru.... that is where the one the guy sold me he call Lawaii from...very different but wished it smells...roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi George..

The colors are outstanding!!! Truly incredible!!!

The red is like a Valentine Velvet Box of chocolates!!!!

The orange is a knock out.. I like the KMO. Lol

Stunning ... Simple stunning!!!

Strong work!!!

Thank you for the pictures.. They are gorgeous!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Timsharpe
    10 years ago

The red one looks a lot like a Kauai beauty... Lots of them on the north shore...get on the plumeria society of america site for a pic..i have several and will try to put up a pic but it looks just like yours.
    also the orange one looks like a U of H orange or a kaleinani...

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Laura!

Kms2, don't expect my friend will have any oranges for a while, but I know he has a few reds he could sell. If interested, send me an email.

Timsharpe, I found a couple of pics of Kauai Beauty - but neither looked much like this one (and the two pics didn't look like each other, either, so I'm more confused!). Couldn't find a pic of it in the PSA. If you have any pics, definitely let me know.

I did compare the orange to a Kaleinani flower, and while there were strong similarities, there were also differences. I could see it being a seedling of Kaleinani, though, possibly.

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Both are gorgeous! Have no clue what the red is but the orange one looks like Kaleinani to me.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Kaleinani%2c+plumeria&FORM=HDRSC2

• jandey1
    10 years ago

You know, the orange looks a lot like Paul Weissich, and like Golden Sun, but we'd need an expert around here to tell us what they think. Whatever it is, it looks like one I need :-)

Paul Weissich in heat can get quite orange, with pink streaking. On mine the branches seem thin and have long spaces between leaf nodes. Again, we need a non-newbie around here--we NEED to know, LOL.

K, you didn't tell me Poipu Beach was orange!! You know how I feel about orange!

And below is the link to the PSA photo gallery, for those of us who need an excuse to stay up later at night surfing plumie photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: PSA photo gallery

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi George - to me, the pink/red one looks like Cerise. The orange/yellow looks like the one you and I got from Donna on Craigslist and is my favorite.

Kasie

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I love both of them!! I love all reds and that yellow/orange is great!

I don't know for sure whether you can register them unless you know for a fact they were grown from seed and are not already named and registered clones (even if you can't ID them). Not sure how that works.

To me they don't look unique enough from other registered plumerias. And there's no guarantee that they aren't already named, right? But then there's no way to really ID them positively so there's the rub.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to register them, unless you wanted to make some money trying to sell them because we all know that 'named' varieties can bring more money than no-IDs.

Do you know where the original plants came from (Kauai garden lady)? I think you'd have to do your due diligence to track down the origins of the mother plants.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kasie - IâÂÂd forgotten that the one we got from Donna was orangy! It lasted that way for a couple of weeks here when I got it, then was pretty pure yellow after that. No sign of orange any more at all. I believe itâÂÂs a Heidi that we got.

This one was orange in cooler Anaheim, and equally orange in Simi - the warmer temps didnâÂÂt seem to make a difference. ItâÂÂs orange, except when the flowers are fading and they turn yellow.

I have Cerise, but this one is smaller, petals have a thicker texture and are not as long. ItâÂÂs velvety and is more of an intense crimson. My Cerise was a very deep magenta that was red-like from a distance.

Jandey, IâÂÂve have to take a look at Paul Weissich again (from photos, there were similarities and differences - so who knows?). The branches you describe sound different from the ones on these. But Paul can get pretty orangy. I will look into Golden Sun - never seen it but IâÂÂm curious now.

Dave - this is so tough. A single plumeria can vary so much due to so many factors. I have two branches on my Jeannie Moragne - one is 2.5â above the other and provides the lower slight shade. The flowers on the top one are intense magenta and salmon, the lower pink and orange. Too funny. It seems like a moving target when youâÂÂre trying to compare. My friend would really love to name a plumeria, and heâÂÂs going to look more into it (I sent him a link to the PSA form) and see if itâÂÂs feasible. It may not be, but heâÂÂll check.

Powderpuff, I did compare an actual Kaleinani flower and this orange. Big similarites - but significant differences (including the look of the branches and tips). Maybe a seedling?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I think they are special... Even if they re not registered, George.. you can name them as you like.. I like the KMO and the KMR. Sounds perfect to me for a perfect beautiful set of flowers...

They are beautiful!!!

Awesome,actually!!! ;-)

Take Care,

laura

• jandey1
    10 years ago

George, what about contacting someone like Kara at Plumeria World and seeing if she has an idea based on the photos? She seems very nice and may have some insight.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K, I got your email, but it wouldn't let me reply back. Can you send me another email, and include your email address in the body, and I'll send you an email with the details.
    thanks

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow George they both are gorgeous! Currently I am into red and orange plumerias. I found some red but I can't find anything that will bloom orange in my cooler climate. So my search continues.

Did you get your cutting in the mail yet?

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emily, I got your email but can't email you back. Can you send me another email and include your email address in the text? Otherwise, I can't respond back.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Jefferson's Gold is the other one that MKO reminds me of. The red is still eluding me for a similar-looking flower name. The fuzzy grey-red inflo stalk is very distinctive on it.