Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamela_star

Bud dropped

tamela_star
9 years ago

I had a bud on my taj mahal it was getting bigger and when I checked on it today, I noticed that the bud was no longer there. :(
I have it in part sun, and the tree is doing well. I have another smaller bud on it and I'm hoping it stays. What causes the bud to just drop? I didn't move it into full sun yet because I didn't want the bud to drop.

Comments (15)

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

Not enough water? Not enough light? Where do you live? If you live in like Arizona or California you might need to keep it in shade, but if you don't get triple digits you should be able to put it in full sun. Inflows like sun. So do plumeria.

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Water isn't an issue. Might be light but Im acclimating it so it doesn't burn. I live in MD, which is perfect plumeria conditions in the summer.

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

How often do you fertilize? What fertilizer do you use? Could be stress which made it drop..... Or maybe fertilizer burn. Have any pics? That would help. Post a pic of the plant, scar where it fell off, and new inflow. That should help us diagnose it. This is how a healthy inflow should look.

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is newly rooted so I dont feel ready to use fertilizer just yet. My inflow is still small and maybe that's a cause. At least the plant is healthy.

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My inflow doesn't seem as developed like yours, but my plumeria is a taj mahal which is different to begin with. Perhaps the inflow isn't mature enough yet.

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

Maybe the cutting isn't fully rooted, so it couldn't support the inflow. Or it's rooted and needs energy/ fertilizer. I would go the organic route if your afraid to hurt it. Get something that you mix in with the dirt or is water soluble. Also make sure the fertilizer has a high middle number! that helps blooming. You can't harm it with organic fertilizer.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I think it's very likely your newly rooted plant is just not established enough to 'hold' an inflo yet.

I suspect the inflo on your cutting had been dormant when the cutting was removed from the tree. So it grew, but the plant didn't have the energy to sustain it.

For me, newly rooted cuttings usually need about 2 years before they bloom on their own.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Tamela!!

I received your email. Don't worry.

Taj Mahal are known to drop buds. This is fantastic that you rooted yours. The cutting that came from my tree also dropped buds. Lots of times. Let's see a pic. I know I sent them long ago and they should be rooted. You mentioned they were. Leaves? How long?

Mine bloomed in full sun .. But it seems a lot of buds on this particular variety drop. Don't do anything yet to this newly rooted cutting. You are doing a great job!! Continue what you ARE doing!! ;-)

My huge inflo last year, dropped half of the buds. We have talked about this here on the forum. Taj Mahal can be finicky.

Keep up the good work. Its wonderful that you rooted this one !

Congratulations. It's not you ... Patience. You will see blooms and finally see the ones on Taj Mahal open !!

Take good care!!

I'll respond to the email. I'm at work !!

Laura

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Laura. :) now that I know that I don't have to try to wonder what was wrong. They are ready for full sun. Would it be okay if I moved it? Here's a photo of it. I took the picture a couple hours ago.

9 years ago

Tamala,

It looks awesome!! Yes!! I'm so proud...

Dave was right.. It was forming an inflo on my tree while it was dormant. I cut in the spring and if I left it on my tree, it would have done the same. ( Pushed an inflo) So that is why you are getting am inflo from this cutting!!

Dave is spot on as usual... ;-)

Just continue to keep this tree thriving as it is.. It will drop some , like he mentioned. It's a young tree.. Also, buds on Taj Mahal are fickle.. Lol!! Once I see one open, I run to get the camera. Don' t worry.. It a trait of this variety from what I have read..

I'm just so tickled that it looks so beautiful...

Strong work!! You should be so proud !! I know that I am!!! ;-)

It's a beauty. Three tips and now it will form more branches from this inflo.. A beautiful tree forming for you!! YES!!!

YOU just made my day!

Keep up the strong work!!!!

Continue as is.. You are doing great!!!!

Take care,

Laura

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Tamela, The only thing that I would do different is that you have something under your pot to hold water but these plants need to drain well so I would get rid of the thing under the plant. Barb

9 years ago

GOOD Eye, Barb.. :-)

I agree!! Take it off.. Let it drain.,..

;-). Good catch, barb!

Laura

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's part of the pot, and it won't come off. It doesn't hold water but I could always block the slight opening. With the tape I use for packages.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

When next spring rolls around you may want to repot into a larger pot with no dish under it. And as said above, Taj Mahal is a notorious bud dropper. My Heirloom does the same, though not nearly as often as TM. Don't worry, it's not you :)

9 years ago

Jen is right.. Next year I would repot and keep saucer from container...

That inflo up thread is beautiful, but I don't think it is a Taj Mahal.. I noticed it was the same pic in another thread of ponds that he just bought. Looks good.. Great deal for $25....

Don't worry, T. Yours looks awesome.. Like I mentioned. Just to get it to root is a wonderful experience for you. It looks so healthy!!! So happy for you!! ;-)

Laura

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer