Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

cuttings on the 4th

tdogdad
10 years ago

This is the progress of my 150+ cuttings on 75 sp.ft

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Here are about 60 spring cuttings in water bottles packed 5 per 5 gallon pot with gravel in the bottom (still mist only):

The older ones in the first picture get water and fert. now while the younger ones are still on a mist only diet with weekly spray n grow mists. Have only lost one so far (it was from a sick plant so not a surprise). Happy 4th, Bill

Comments (22)

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Wow!!! That's ambitious and they look great!

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Wow! A lot of work!
    But they're so beautiful!! Good job!

Mima

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Holy cow! Those look great!

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictorial how - to, Bill. I'm doing something similar, but for my really fat cuttings, I'm using "POM " juice bottles, easier to pot over eggs in those. Mist only, still. I see a latent inflo on my Lei Rainbow, but no roots on it yet. So far, so good.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Looking great bill!!

Mike

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow have they grown!!! Awesome looking!! Thanks for sharing!! Such hard work pays off Bill. ;).

Chuy

• beachplant
    10 years ago

That is an impressive collection!
    They look great. Very inspiring.
    Tally HO!

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Nice to have you back Bill! How are you feeling? Have you recovered ok from your surgery?

Your cuttings always look so good. Thanks for the pictures and hope your enjoying some waves!

Andrew

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. It is actually very quick to plant when all the fixin's are ready. I planted 7 bottles in about 10 minutes yesterday from cuttings broken off by gardeners or accidents. Thanks Andrew. I seem to have a good working heart again. The good thing is before, I labeled each cutting with blue tape and numbers so I only have a few mysteries. Tally Ho- I think only one of these will join my collection (replacement Vera Cruz Rose) the rest are all from trimming up my large plants. Oh and I potted up one for Dewaine. My tree trimmers did such a great job that each got a rooted one potted up as a tip. BTW Chuy- your pod is still maturing so I will let you know when it cracks. Bill

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Bill- thanks for the update on the pod ;). Anxious to start from seed!! Never done it before.

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Bill!!!

It makes me tired just looking at all of the work you have done... Sheesh!!

Great job and very impressive...

Now.. they question is when are you going to extend the property? ;-)

Hope you and the Mrs had a wonderful Fourth!!!

Glad you are feeling better.. Nice to get back to the things we love.. How is the Paddle boarding going? Back at the pier too?

Have a wonderful night!!

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

You are so energetic it`s hard to believe you had surgery.

Tally HO!

• nativec
    10 years ago

Bill

I always love seeing your pictures of the spring cuttings! It makes my heart leap with joy! LOL.

Here is an idea...buy out your neighbor then you can extend your property to fit them all :)

Take care!

Nicole

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

That's just sick! LOL!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

WOW!!!! They look great and I do mine the same way. Plastic bottles crammed in black pots. Those do get big you know? :P Very nice looking, healthy looking cuttings. What potting mixture are you using?

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

powderpuff- I just mixed up 160 gallons (24 cu ft.)of Jack Morgan's mix (25%Big R, 25%Turf n tee, 50% pumice.) I have over 30 ten year olds in the ground and well over a hundred in large pots so I know they get big which is why only one of those cuttings will stay- the rest will go.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Let me know if you need any help getting rid or letting go if some!! Lol ;0)

Chuy

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chuy-you know where I live and are always welcome. Give me a call. Bill

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Like Laura said, I'm tired just thinking about doing all that work! They all look incredibly healthy, though, so all the practice over the years has paid off. Paid off for the rest of us, too, who are now using your methods!

The only thing I changed this year about your bottle-rooting is I'm using coir with perlite now instead of a potting mix. So far I've had 100% rooting--with about a dozen cuttings this spring--so I'm very happy with the coir as a rooting medium.

It may also be helped by the fact that I let everything have an extra long time to callus, sometimes in the humidity chamber, first. I even had a couple push up nice inflos and root at the same time. Nice to finally feel somewhat successful at rooting!

Thanks for all the great tips over the years, Bill!

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill.....:0) without a doubt I will

Chuy

• pcput
    10 years ago

Bill, no wonder you put yourself in the hospital! You have to take it easy. Guess you'll be have that VW sale soon. They look so good. Peg