Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Newbie's flowers.... Some photos and random questions

disneyhorse
10 years ago

So after all the talk about Wildfire, I had to have one... Fuzzy in HI has been my most favorite place for seeds and rooted plants, they arrive in great shape and seem as advertised. Anyway, I'm hoping that the stress of shipping over 4th of July a tad longer than usual and the shock of being bareroot and transplanted accounted for this first pale bloom? I'm hoping later ones are darker, but it DOES smell amazing! I have been shying away from buying plants with inflos (I also got an India with an inflo but it got mangled in transport and I cut it off).
Anyway, two other questions about this inflo.... Unlike the few other plumerias I've seen, the stems of this inflo are fuzzy like a peach! Is this normal or common? I've never seen it before. Also, the blooms are on long, sparse stalks. I've seen photos of other plumeria like that, but does it depend on the variety? Or is it environmental?

Comments (12)

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second question... This one was gifted to my mom by a friend. Is it a Celadine?

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Third flower... Just a picture of my Kimi Moragne because its my current favorite...

This post was edited by disneyhorse on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:08

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one, I'm thinking a NOID related to "Gardena" but boy does it flower... The mother tree is loaded with inflos and very cutting I've got from it are also blooming like crazy.... If anyone wants one I usually prune the tree over our property line in the fall and throw away oodles of branches because every tip flowers and makes three to five new tips... It's like a weed but smells nice...

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

That NOID is lovely! Please rmbr me next time you get to pruning. 99% sure we're close enough to each other that I can come fetch. From what I've gathered fuzzy stems on that one are normal.
    Happy Petting!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Fuzzy or pubescent stems and new leaves are genetically determined, I think. Some are so fuzzy they're like velvet. Totally normal.

Very nice NOID! Gotta love any plumie that blooms like crazy AND smells good!

Yes, the second photo looks like Celadine, but check for that double line along each leaf.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

They all look beautiful especially your Kimi M!! I agree the second look like Celadine.

Congrats on such beauties! :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Wonderful collection!!!

Like Jen mentioned. That is normal on some varieties. Don't worry!

They all look wonderful.

Fuzzy is a great person, Who takes good care of his trees. I like to deal with him too! ;-)

Ok. I could make a list now of good sellers. Lol. I started thinking of all I like to deal with. It is a good obsession !! Lol

Beautiful pics!!

Enjoy!!

Laura

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The yellow one does have very faint double leaf margins.... But the leaves and plant don't look super healthy. It looks like three cuttings were shoved in the pot together in an effort to make it look like a bigger plant. I'm not totally sure though. If I do want to separate them (the roots are probably all together and will have to be cut... They've been crammed in a small pot for at least a couple years)... When is the best time to do it? When the plant is dormant or in the spring? I don't want to kill the poor guy, he's not that bad off...

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

They all look so good! I really like your kimi m and no id. Very pretty!

Mark

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whew, the next couple blooms are looking the color they should. I don't know why that first one was so faded, but I guess you can't trust colors sometimes. Wildfire smells amazing!!!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse, great pics and beautiful flowers! That's a great Wildfire pic. My Loretta finally opened and it is not quite right - I'm hoping it will fix itself, too, after a few blooms!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Disney, now you can see why we're all gaga for Wildfire! Such an unusual rich red, and most reds aren't very fragrant.