Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nebel's Rainbow

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 13:57

Here's my Nebel's Rainbow just starting up. This one seems a bit more finicky for me to overwinter. It's had black tip, but not as bad as the Intense Rainbow.

Nebel's Rainbow aka Lei Rainbow.

Here are few more:

Kimo, showing variations with flower age:

Jeannie Moragne, JR. doesn't seem to hold up to our heat. Flowers don't last very long. I probably need to give it mor shade. Very tall grower, and not a great bloomer for me in pot culture. Still, the colors grab your attention when it decides to bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nebel's Rainbow

Dave: I must say that I am very impressed with your plants!

Look at you go. Very nice. Congrats on a good flowering season:-)

Mike

o

Thanks Mike. It helped a lot to have kept the plants warmer in my garage last winter with the new, more powerful heater I installed.

This heater is on its own dedicated 240-volt circuit, so no more tripped circuits from cheap heaters. It's more efficient too, so hopefully lower electric bills.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dayton Heater

o

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 13:02

Great blossoms! Keep up the good work!

o

Dave: I really appreciate the info on that heater!

I was looking for one to put in my 6x8 greenhouse but I am not sure how warm it will stay? I actually had one of them very small space heaters in there, the one with a small fan you buy at Walmart, and it was always 12 degrees warmer than outside temps.
I wonder if it will keep that greenhouse warm enough when temps get into teh teens to not have to bring my plumeria and citrus in?

I wonder how good it is on electricity too since having two space heaters going at the very beginning of the winter cast me and arm and a leg.

Great work Dave. I guess you doing something right to have such beautiful blossoms.

Mike

o

Mike, my garage typically stays about 10 degrees warmer than the outside. It's semi-insulated, but there are small holes in places, the weather stripping needs to be replaced around doors, and the actual garage doors are not insulated, so on very cold and windy days, it cools off quickly. This little heater, since it runs on 240 volt, is very efficient and has a powerful fan. After opening the garage door, it turns on and warms up the garage in a jiffy. I have it set to about 55 degrees, which it maintains easily. I guess an alternative would have been to install a natural gas heater, but the setup for that would have been much higher in cost.

Another buddy who has a greenhouse has this electric heater too, and it does a great job in an enclosed greenhouse. His greenhouse is at least 10 x 12. A 6 x 8 would be easy with this heater. The expense is going to be establishing the 240 volt circuit. I had to call an electrician who had to add a sub-panel (since my breaker box had no slots left), then create the circuit and run the wires and receptable, so the entire setup for me ran around $500! not including the heater but I still think it was worth it.

o

• Posted by kms2 9/10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 10:09

Very nice. How much red does your Nebel's Rainbow get in the summer heat? I have what I have understood to be a Lei Rainbow but the colors never seems to look like the pictures that others post or images online. The shape and other characteristics match precisely.

BTW on the small space heaters in a greenhouse...I had to use two plus used a bunch of old fitted sheets (with the elastic bands) over my plants like a tent to keep my plants above 38 degrees when the outside temp went into the teens here. Those hard wired utility style heaters are the best solution and if you look at it long term a pretty good investment in your hobby.

o

kms2:

My Nebel's Rainbow blooms are redder when they initially open, but the red/pink band quickly fades in the sun to a very light pink.

o

They look great!! Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Dave: Thanks for that.

Your right. I think the investment will be much worth it. I have an enclosed greenhouse that will get full sun all day through the winter unless the clouds roll in. I am thinking I can keep it at least above the 45 degree mark.
I will definitely need a dedicated circuit as you did.
My circuit kept tripping last winter with two space heaters on at once. But the temps in that little greenhouse stayed into the 70's everyday.

Maybe I can get my plumeria to bloom as nicely as yours, because if I can, it will definitely be worth the investment!

Mike

o

Mike, I think 45 at night might be OK as long as there is a warm-up during the day. Otherwise, I'd shoot for a minimum temp more around 55 degrees. Maybe you could add second layer of plastic on the North and WEst sides of the greenhouse to insulate a bit more.

o

Hey Mike

Ive never mentioned this before but Im and electrician. too bad you are so far away from me or Id help you out. I used one of the tower heaters from walmart 120 volt 1500 watt and it can keep my 6x8 lean-to greenhouse at pretty much what ever I want. Those days we hit -15 with 2 feet of snow it was nice and cozy at 70 degrees. Mine is wood framed and covered with a single layer of 6mil plastic, it is on the south wall of my house which help a ton. If you can line the walls of yours with bubble wrap I heard it makes a great insulator. You can try the north wall and roof to start and see if that helps.

This year Im going to add another heater so I can have it run during the day and maintain 70 and then let the other one come on a 55 at night.

if you have any electrical question please ask I can probably help you out.

mike

o

Dave, They look beautiful, thanks for sharing. How is your penang peach doing this year?

o

Hey Kandhi,

My Penang Peach seems to be doing quite well!

o

Oh Dave, those are soooo beautiful! Thanks again for the help. It will be a relief once I have all this set up I tell you. Then I could care less if winter comes. I will have a very nice place to escape too in the middle of our cold and gloomy weather.

Mike: Much appreciated buddy! I wish you did live closer. I would have you set me up this weekend. I am definitely going to have to do something. I just may ask for help if need be.

I think your greenhouse really benefitted you over the winter, right? I remember all the pics you posted of how happy everything was.

Mike

o

Dave, That's awsome! Among all the plumeria's you have which one's do the best and are generous with blooms. I think both of us have same climatic conditions and I want to know what is that you do that these plants give you so many blooms. What fertilizer do you use for your plumerias?

o

Kandhi,

Of all the plumerias I have owned for many years, these are the ones I would not part with:

#1 Penang Peach (best bloomer, compact)
#2 Kimo (good bloomer, nice flowers)
#3 Hilo Beauty (unusual color, but a bit shy blooming)

#4 California Sally will likely be on this list, but I have not owned it very long.

o

mike

it sure did help. My plumeria did go dormant until spring. I imagine because of the shorter days. I did have some lights in there for veggie seedlings but it wasnt enough for everything else.

mike

o

Kandhi,

I forgot to answer your question about:

"I want to know what is that you do that these plants give you so many blooms. What fertilizer do you use for your plumerias?"

I only have been getting a lot of blooms on my Kimo and on my Penang Peach. Some of the other plants have been a bit shy to bloom.

Generally though, the larger the plant, the more likely it will bloom. Large pots with very good drainage give the plant lots of root room. Good roots = healthy plants = more blooms.

Burying the pots partly in garden soil keeps the pot soil temps lower which helps the plants as well. Plumeria roots begin to fry at 120 degrees and plants get stressed, stop growing, or drop buds. In black pastic in full sun, it doesn't take long for that temp to be achieved.

It is important to get the plants thru winter in a warm location --definitely above 55-60 degrees. A warm-up to above 65-70 during the day would be ideal, but that doesn't always happen in my garage. In my basement under fluorescents, the minimum temp does not ever go below 65 F, so I can get growth all winter down there. If plants grow slowly over winter, they are more likely to form inflos -- some varieties are better at this than others.

As for fertilizing, I just throw Osmocote time-release and Milorganite granules on the soil occasionally. Sometimes I'll water with a dilute fish emulsion. No real fertilization regimen. I probaby should concentrate on that more, but I just don't have a lot of time to fuss over them right now. I'm lucky if I can get the lawn mowed!

In mid-July as roots systems fill pots - and get near the top surface, I will occasionally top-dress with fresh soil or hardwood mulch.

o

Dave, I have seen your penang peach pics last year also, seems like a reliable bloomer. Where did you buy it, I need to get one of those. I really love the color of that. Lately with tremondous heat in our area, I am also concerned with the pots in sun, I have the pots under morning sun therefore they are handling heat ok I guess. I do have a sun room where I keep these in winter time to encourage continuous growth. Thanks for responding.. continue sharing pics, I and everyone else on these forums enjoy viewing them.

o

Dave:

What does this one smell like to you? Does it smell like a peach? Does it have a very strong fragrance? How long do those blooms last?

It is just so beautiful. I wonder if the slow release I used on mine made any difference. It is the first time I use it and I have blossoms too.

Thanks

MIke

o

Mike, it has a nice fragrance, seems to have substantial petal substance and is a good keeper. Maybe that's why it's also called 'Lei Rainbow?'

o

Hey Dave,

Beautiful blooms !!

I agree with you and your special trees!!!

ET Lemon Drop is a must have for me as well...

Makaha Sunn and Leela are must haves for me too!

My California Sally and my Hilo Beauty , Penang Peach have not bloomed...so after hearing that they are some of your favorites, i am very excited to see them bloom.

Take care Dave and i hope to figure out a day that i can visit!!!

Laura in VB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here